Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 'fear' Norwich will return for Mackail-Smith

Jul 13, 2012
Gus has ALWAYS said if a player wants to move on to further their career he will not stand in their way.

So if clubs come calling in January for Bridcutt, CMS, Dunk, Bruno, Vicente and they all said they want to play in the premiership will Gus say ok I've always said I'll not stand in anyones way.

We might as well forget about ever reaching the premiership because any of our players are on fire we'll sell them where as other clubs say back off bitch.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well whatever happens, they will have to wait until January now.

Besides, it was just one great performance - I still think we should let him go for the right price (But now instead of £3m or more, I would only be happy with £5m or more!)
Disagree, 4 great performances so far this season IMHO.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Maybe Stoke will fear interest from the Albion for their players next season :) What will he (Naylor) report then?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wouldn't be suprised to see Gus test the water with playing Dobbie up front with a loan striker to come in (Chris Wood?) to see if we could sell CMS without any massive detrimental impacts- I see Dobbie as a like for like replacement for CMS.

If we are near/in the play-offs with CMS banging them in then no chance we would let him go, it will be an Eliott Bennett situation and we'll let him go at the end of the season, for a lot of money if he gets us promoted.

In this case if he gets us promoted it will be a different situation to the Bennett affair...we will at very least be in the same division...so can compete with wages ..ambition etc

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So if clubs come calling in January for Bridcutt, CMS, Dunk, Bruno, Vicente and they all said they want to play in the premiership will Gus say ok I've always said I'll not stand in anyones way.

We might as well forget about ever reaching the premiership because any of our players are on fire we'll sell them where as other clubs say back off bitch.

I should've mentioned - obviously with the caveat that we get a valuation that meets our needs (i.e. of bringing a replacement in who is of equal or better quality).

If we matched what we'd need money wise for those 5 players I reckon we'd have about £15m to play with, so wouldn't be the end of the world, only 3 of them are regulars anyhow. Thought we would miss Bridcutt.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'd pay no attention to Naylor's headlines.

It's clear that he has absolutely no idea what's going on at the club at the moment and so is creating news stories to try to sell papers.

Of course CMS is going to attract interest from many teams, especially with the start he's had and Norwich have already expressed an interest. However, January is a long way away from a football perspective and alot can change...including managers!

However, do we "fear" a bid from Norwich? probably not...CMS is contracted with the club for a couple more years and do Norwich would not only have to pay what he's worth, but also pay off his contract.

If Jordan Rhodes is worth £8 million, then CMS should be that far away based on current form!

Jul 13, 2012
I should've mentioned - obviously with the caveat that we get a valuation that meets our needs (i.e. of bringing a replacement in who is of equal or better quality).

If we matched what we'd need money wise for those 5 players I reckon we'd have about £15m to play with, so wouldn't be the end of the world, only 3 of them are regulars anyhow. Thought we would miss Bridcutt.

Agree. That's why we turned down Norwich for CMS as we didn't have a replacement in place.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Why would ANY self respecting footballer want to sign for a team thats going to be back in the Championship next season !!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wish Brian Owen wrote the Albion articles. He's a far more interesting journalist than Naylor.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Any offer from Norwich isn't going to carry much weight in January if we're near the top of the Championship and they're at the bottom of the Premiership.

Exactly.

Norwich will only really come calling if CMS continues to bang them in and if he is, then he will be spearheading a promotion challenge. If we are in the top 3 or 4 come January then we would be head mental to disrupt our Premier League bid, especially as the next TV deal with Sky is meant to be immense...The rewards for going-up this season are greater then ever.

Personally I think if we are in contention when the transfer widow re-opens then we will tell the suitors for all our players to do one.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fear comes from CMS wanting to go. If he's offered a great package and Premier League football and it looks a great move for him (at his age), then would we really want to stand in the way of a dream move for him if Norwich are going to give us decent money for him?

We'll continue to attract top quality players if we show we are a club that allow them to develop and move upwards if good offers are made.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
CMS is contracted with the club for a couple more years and do Norwich would not only have to pay what he's worth, but also pay off his contract.

No they wouldn't. The transfer fee would be based on his valuation, it has nothing to do with paying off the remainder of his contact.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wish Brian Owen wrote the Albion articles. He's a far more interesting journalist than Naylor.

100% this.

When was the last time Andy Naylor came up with an exclusive that hadn't been on here days before?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Naylor is on a personal vendetta to use scare tactics against NSC
He needn't waste his time, NSC will do it's best to scare itself. Last game but one people were giving CMS's goals to Barnes, and wanting to snap Norwich's hands off for any offer. One game and two great goals later and CMS is the messiah, and it would take a Zaha like bid to prize him from our title winning grasp. Football fans are idiots (except me, I'm different, honest).

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gus has ALWAYS said if a player wants to move on to further their career he will not stand in their way.

Could be the same agreement as with Bennett again, a deal agreed in January that he will stay with us until the end of the season then move on.

If Norwich are in the relegation zone or close, they will want his goals before the end of the season and that would be reflected in his price. As for CMS, Norwich would probably be an attractive proposition as it would mean instant premiership football with the premiership salary in a contract for 2 or 3 years. Having said that, I'm not sure whether when we bought him he rejected the premiership teams that were after him or if they didn't meet Peterborough's valuation.

By his standards, he had a bad year last year but has started well this year. It may be a case of making hay whilst the sun shines from both his and the Albion's perspective.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fear comes from CMS wanting to go. If he's offered a great package and Premier League football and it looks a great move for him (at his age), then would we really want to stand in the way of a dream move for him if Norwich are going to give us decent money for him?

We'll continue to attract top quality players if we show we are a club that allow them to develop and move upwards if good offers are made.

Good post. Once a player wants to go, there's no point in hanging onto them as they won't give of their best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here