Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 'fear' Norwich will return for Mackail-Smith

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
That from the Argus. This really gets up my nose. If we 'fear' them coming in for him then that means we want to keep him, if we want to keep one of OUR players then surely another team will have to pay a very substantial fee or they won't get him. So where's the fear coming from? Really really annoys me!!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wouldn't be suprised to see Gus test the water with playing Dobbie up front with a loan striker to come in (Chris Wood?) to see if we could sell CMS without any massive detrimental impacts- I see Dobbie as a like for like replacement for CMS.

If we are near/in the play-offs with CMS banging them in then no chance we would let him go, it will be an Eliott Bennett situation and we'll let him go at the end of the season, for a lot of money if he gets us promoted.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That from the Argus. This really gets up my nose. If we 'fear' them coming in for him then that means we want to keep him, if we want to keep one of OUR players then surely another team will have to pay a very substantial fee or they won't get him. So where's the fear coming from? Really really annoys me!!!

Gus has ALWAYS said if a player wants to move on to further their career he will not stand in their way.

Could be the same agreement as with Bennett again, a deal agreed in January that he will stay with us until the end of the season then move on.

D

Deleted member 22389

8 Million then we might start talking....

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If we don't need to sell, which we don't, then I'd want us to hold out for an incredibly good fee. He is, after all, our player.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
simple, he is under contract....

Now f*** OFF Norwich.....

See that's not complicated!!!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If CMS continues his form for the rest of the year, then surely his price is going to rocket come January compared to what it was over the summer. Norwich could well be struggling in the Prem by then and it may not look quite such an appealing move to him

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
How old is he? If he is 28/29 like i have in my head that he is, i'd quite happily sell him on at the end of the season for the 2.5mil we paid for him as he is only going to go down in value now due to age.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree that CMS may be given the option to move to Norwich at the end of the season. Whether he wants to drop down a division is another matter!

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
I wouldn't rule anything out, in the past we have waited til the end of the season to finish the deals and this time, rather than in the Crofts, Benno and Noone situations, we could be in the Prem. That would mean Norwich would be less appealing, and if CMS keeps on scoring, there could be bigger clubs than Norwich after him.

For once though, if he did leave, which I would be gutted about, we do have other quality options as well as signing a target man

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Let's be realistic here, EVERYONE is available at a price, and likewise there is ALWAYS going to be a wage that turns a players head. That isn't just teh case with us, it;s the case with all clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona.

But the Albion "fearing" the interest is just troublemaking IMHO. We will have a valuation of CMS - and it is currently going up I'd say - but if someone matches it, then we'd accept it. No need to fear that, just ensure the valuation is on the high side, so that we would get good value for money.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Norwich could well be struggling in the Prem by then and it may not look quite such an appealing move to him

I think the main issue is that they could probably treble his wages like they did with Benno.

Clubs talk to agents so CMS will be made aware of what he could earn if he went to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here