Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion claims to fame

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I nearly had a fight with Brian Clough at Aldershot.

We were in the stand when the team bus arrived. We rushed down the stairway to welcome them and I suddenly found myself face to face with BC coming up. He stood his ground, raised his fist and said 'come on - do you want some?'. I said no, I was an Albion fan and was going to cheer the team. He said 'you bloody well behave yourself sonny' and continued up.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Albion apprentice in th 80's.

Regularly thrown into the home dressing room bath by Digweed and Gatting for not cleaning their boots properly.

Remember being mightily impressed at the size of Terry Connors wedding tackle!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I served George Parris a few times when I worked in a pub. He would always ask for a bottle of Becks, and I would always go and get one and then position it on a mantelpiece or table behind him, return to the bar and explain that "it's behind you." It never made him laugh.

Darren Freeman often came in the same pub, and I would always try to make eye contact with his rather attractive ladyfriend if he was still in there when my shift ended. She never met my gaze.

I play for the same team as Mark McGhee's son, although I didn't realise that when I made a derogatory remark about McGhee upon seeing him sporting an official Albion training top with 'M Mc' on it at a training session. He didn't say anything in reply but to this day I fear his swift and angry retribution in a Batty-Le Saux style incident.

I have had coaching from Gerry Ryan and went to school with Dan Beck.

My brother plays 5-a-side with Kerry Mayo.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My kids went to school with Gerry Ryans kids

:albion2:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Albion apprentice in th 80's.

Regularly thrown into the home dressing room bath by Digweed and Gatting for not cleaning their boots properly.

Remember being mightily impressed at the size of Terry Connors wedding tackle!

who else were apprentices with you ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blimey, try and recall some of the top of my head......

John Rob, Jack Dineen, Johnny Clare, Danny Bloor, Craig Whitt....

I played a few games with Jack Dineen. He was quality. With the right attitude I'm sure he would have made it.

Danny Bloor was my older brother's best mate, at Preston Panthers! Was surprised that he got a look in. His little brother Jeff was tons better than him, despite being ginger.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I played a few games with Jack Dineen. He was quality. With the right attitude I'm sure he would have made it.

Danny Bloor was my older brother's best mate, at Preston Panthers! Was surprised that he got a look in. His little brother Jeff was tons better than him, despite being ginger.

You're right about Dineen HK, he was a real talent. A quiet lad but a bit too cocky. Had a real vision and natural understanding of the game. Think he went to Scarborough or somehere later. Not sure after that.

Danny was not a great player but a good leader with the gift of the gab. I was a quiet type, so they used to sit me next to Danny on away coaches to get me out of my shell. Jesus he could talk for England!

Still good friends with John Rob. Whip his arse at golf now and again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're right about Dineen HK, he was a real talent. A quiet lad but a bit too cocky. Had a real vision and natural understanding of the game. Think he went to Scarborough or somehere later. Not sure after that.

Danny was not a great player but a good leader with the gift of the gab. I was a quiet type, so they used to sit me next to Danny on away coaches to get me out of my shell. Jesus he could talk for England!

Still good friends with John Rob. Whip his arse at golf now and again.

Danny and my older brother were triers - work hard, be polite to the manager, put out the cones, etc. to get ahead.

In my year group there was Jack Dineen and his mate Mike Dean [younger brother of Albion photographer Bennett] who had all the quality and zero application!

My younger brother's Preston Panthers team a couple of years below had the real ability - Jeff Bloor, Justin Gregory [off to Anfield with Havant next week] and others.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Danny and my older brother were triers - work hard, be polite to the manager, put out the cones, etc. to get ahead.

In my year group there was Jack Dineen and his mate Mike Dean [younger brother of Albion photographer Bennett] who had all the quality and zero application!

My younger brother's Preston Panthers team a couple of years below had the real ability - Jeff Bloor, Justin Gregory [off to Anfield with Havant next week] and others.

Ah yes, the names ring a bell. You were a Cardinal Newman lad then?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hove Park.

Newman were the team to beat in my year group though. Fortunately all their good players were thickos, so we got to beat them a few times in the sixth form, when they had all left!

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
We are obviousy the same age group then.

I was Tideway (I know I know!) with John Rob and played for Saltdean Tigers in early years.

We probably crossed paths at some point.

D

Deleted User X18H

Blimey if we are going as far down as Jack Dineen he used to live round the back from me in Downland Drive Hove played in the street with him many a time very very talented but very small although taller than Cox, 3 unused sub appearences I believe Sussex Senior cup winners medal though played a few league games for Scarbrough on the mid nineties wonder what he does now??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here