Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Brovian said:
If you had told me on the train coming back from Newcastle in 1979 that in 20 years time we'd be back in the lower divisions and playing in front of a mere 6000 odd at Withdean Stadium of all places - well I don't know what I'd have done. I certainly wouldn't have believed you.

I'd have just looked blankly back at you.

I was too pissed to comprehend that the train had run out of beer, let alone something as absurd as that!

:D

mona said:
Our most over-rated manager. Had far more money to spend than any other in the Albion's history. Even his best signing, Lawrenson, was suggested by the players.

Ahem! I doubt that little chestnut mona - howabout the idea that maybe Clough and Taylor had brought their own scouting staff to BHAFC, and when The esteemed Mr Taylor departed, Mullery still had those same scouts (well it might have been ONE scout) - y'know, the sort of scouts that found PETER WARD for a meagre 6thousand squid!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
I have just bought the book for £10.99 in Sussex Stationers in George Street and I shall retire to my bed soon to read it and please do not expect the VOICE OF REASON to resume posting on NSC until I have finished it.

I hope that you will also be PLANNING the next MASSIVE protest as well. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Mullery's brilliant personal 'coup' was the purchase, for more than any other player in Albion's history back then, the clogging clod that was Teddy Maybank. Then, to back up his own AWFUL choice of player (at incredible waste of money) by DROPPING WARD to the bench, and playing the no-hoper relentlessly. Some Albion fans even rolled their moustaches eying approvingly like connoisseurs this set of 'king's new clothes' - saying that Ward wasn't DEFENDING and Maybank was stronger and bigger.

It's probably those same connoisseurs that say that Mcghee was astute and Leon was too bad as a winger/midfielder/goalkeeper and had a bad attitude etc. !!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NMH said:

It's probably those same connoisseurs that say that Mcghee was astute and Leon was too bad as a winger/midfielder/goalkeeper and had a bad attitude etc. !!

Nope nice try but Maybank had a fantastic footballing brain, he just didn't have the skills to go with the tricks his brain told him to do, in fact he was absolute shite. This enlightenment was brought to you from a McGhee in poisoned dwarf out "connoisseur"

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
vulture said:
Took us from the 3rd divison to the 1st for the first time in our history he put albion on the map

and might do again.
you heard it here first.:lolol:

Icy Gull said:
Nope nice try but Maybank had a fantastic footballing brain, he just didn't have the skills to go with the tricks his brain told him to do, in fact he was absolute shite. This enlightenment was brought to you from a McGhee in poisoned dwarf out "connoisseur"

Hmm, in this case, with my fantastic football brain but complete lack of skills........... "nurse, get me my agent"

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I hope he puts in his book the performance of our so called directors and their behaviour when they sacked him, as John Vinnicombe reconed it was the most disgusting piece of management he had ever seen.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
All these MASSIVE protests are taking a toll on my body and I'm not a well MAN :angry: :angry: :angry:

Im sure that when you are recovered there will be the MOTHER of MASSIVE protests :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We can never forget that he was the first manager to take us into the top division of English football.

It was a disgrace that he was sacked because 'he lived to far away'. I know which one I would prefer to drive at 8.30 - 9.00am in the morning from near Banstead cross roads where he lived or from Selsey round the Chichester by pass where Martin Hinshlewood lived. I would think that qwould be very little difference in the time taken. He was sacked because Ray Bloom wanted to make his mate Barry Lloyd manager.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
mona said:
Our most over-rated manager. Had far more money to spend than any other in the Albion's history. Even his best signing, Lawrenson, was suggested by the players.

Alex Ferguson signed Christiano Ronaldo on the back of advice from his players who had just played against him and couldn't believe how skilful he was

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here