Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PILTDOWN MAN said:
that sort of scout would be taylor as he signed him at burton albion

He was assistant manager when we signed him cant remember the scouts name but it was Ken Guthrie, Gutteridge or something similar who came with Clough and Taylor. I am sure somebody will tell me his name.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
supaseagull said:
Ken Craggs

Wrong he was Mullery's assistant manager ( he came from Fulham) and then became Assistant Manager and then Chief Scout to Brian Horton and still does some scouting for Nobby. I know this because he is a personal friend of mine.

When he went to watch Gary Hart he was told the wrong Stanstead team and had to go back the following week.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Must say I do feel for youngsters who never saw our glory days. Division 4 with Bobby Smith for example. After rian Clough the Mullery Years. What wonderful exciting times they were . The home match against The Spurs and that marvellous day at Newcastle when we got promotion to Division 1 all spring to mind but I shall never forget an away match at Cambridge when the train carrying the team and supporters was late and watching Mullery haul the kit bags through the back streets of Cambridge to make sure we got to the Abbey Stadium in time. Don't let anyone tell you he did not love the Albionl.

Have to confess that I rated Mike Bailey and could not understand the crys of boring football. We, The Albion were in the First Division for crying out loud and about to get a place in the UEFA cup. Yet "fans" demanded him out as they were bored.
What strange people we fans are.:nono:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Without doubt,Bamber backed 'Mullers' All the way,Unless you were there,you will never understand. No disrespect intended. Dont think we will ever see those again??:angry: :angry: :albion:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat reading those last 2 pages.Will we ever have it so good again?
Were they our 'glory years'?,like Blackpool,Preston & Burnley had in the 50's and they've done f*ck all since(doing well in top division i mean,not getting promoted out of 3rd/4th divisions)

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Mullery sacked a "YTS" bootboy who went on in later years to shag the current Prime Minister's wifes ex personal assistant.

Confirmed by the News of the World.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Mullery was a ****.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Agreed... I don't care what he's said and done since, 1976-80 were the best years in Brighton's history and he was the manager through it. No one can take that away from him.
I find myself in total agreement with the sentiments expressed above .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
simonsimon said:
Mullery sacked a "YTS" bootboy who went on in later years to shag the current Prime Minister's wifes ex personal assistant.

Confirmed by the News of the World.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Mullery was a ****.

What has that to do with his achievements and period as our manager.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I met Alan Mullery when I was in my teens. I was at a Spurs game as my family are all Spurs fans and we (Brighton) were playing away at Plymouth...
I said "Can I have your autograph Alan?"
He said "Certainly Young Man"
JTM "I'm actually a Brighton Season Ticket Holder"
AM "Why aren't you down there then?"
JTM "Were away at Plymouth and i'm visiting family"
AM "You stick with the Albion sunshine - they're a great club!"

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
BensGrandad said:
I thought that at one stage were 7th with 0 -0 draws and 1- 0 wins if only we could have had 20 of each of those this season. 80 pts.

The 1981/82 season was real nosebleed territory.

We went 7th in October after a 0-0 draw at West Brom. The next game we drew 3-3 at home to Liverpool after being 2-0 down at half time and 3-1 down with 11 minutes to go.

Marvellous scenes

Later in the season, after dropping to 11th, we hit 7th again in January after beating Coventry away.

We were 10th at the start of April after beating Arsenal 2-1 but then lost 7 out of the last 8 to finish 13th.

From Tim Carder's book:

"In the week following the great escape, manager Alan Mullery was offered, and accepted, a three year contract, but the paperwork never materialised. The manager/chairman relationship was further strained when Mullery found the Mike Bamber was preparing to sell Mark Lawrensen to Liverpool, while he himself had arranged a deal with the new Manchester United boss, Ron Atkinson.

The situation came to a head on 12th June when the manager met Bamber and his fellow directors Tom Appleby and Dudley Sizen. Apparently asked to make changes to his coaching staff of Ken Craggs, George Aitken and Jimmy Melia, Mullery refused point blank and alleged later that there was then indecision over his own future at the club. The board's version was that they had made no such request and that the meeting had ended amicably. It may have been one big misunderstanding, but, whatever happened, Mullery announced that he had resigned, apparently to the great surprise of Bamber. "I am shocked but will not stand in his way" said the chairman. Neither contacted the other and so the five-year reign of Albion's most successful manager was over'

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
Easy 10 said:
Hardly has a good word to say about us nowadays - oh, until he has a book signing down here. Funny that.
:clap: Our best ever manager bar none, but doesn't give the impression he really has any genuine feelings for the club. Sols out to the scum as well !!!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hiney said:
The 1981/82 season was real nosebleed territory.

We went 7th in October after a 0-0 draw at West Brom. The next game we drew 3-3 at home to Liverpool after being 2-0 down at half time and 3-1 down with 11 minutes to go.

Marvellous scenes

Later in the season, after dropping to 11th, we hit 7th again in January after beating Coventry away.

We were 10th at the start of April after beating Arsenal 2-1 but then lost 7 out of the last 8 to finish 13th.

We beat Liverpool at Anfield, Southampton with Keegan etc at The Dell, Spurs at WHL, cannot ever see us being in that position in the Premiership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here