Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
NMH said:
Mullery's brilliant personal 'coup' was the purchase, for more than any other player in Albion's history back then, the clogging clod that was Teddy Maybank.

Who ran me over in the players carpark before his debut, then went on to score twice. Im going to stand infront of williams car on saturday - we need the points

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Spookily enough a friend of mine has just brought in two books for me to borrow 'Super Seagulls' and 'Up Up and Away' both by John Vinicombe detailing the rise to Div1 and the survival that first season.....Mullery, Ward, Lawrenson etc etc...ah happy memories

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
NMH said:
Mullery's brilliant personal 'coup' was the purchase, for more than any other player in Albion's history back then, the clogging clod that was Teddy Maybank. Then, to back up his own AWFUL choice of player (at incredible waste of money) by DROPPING WARD to the bench, and playing the no-hoper relentlessly. Some Albion fans even rolled their moustaches eying approvingly like connoisseurs this set of 'king's new clothes' - saying that Ward wasn't DEFENDING and Maybank was stronger and bigger.

It's probably those same connoisseurs that say that Mcghee was astute and Leon was too bad as a winger/midfielder/goalkeeper and had a bad attitude etc. !!

All managers buy one or two duds but generally Mullery`s purchases were top notch.
Lauwrenson and Foster spring to mind.
I dont accept Maybank was as bad as you make out and Ward did get lazy and needed reminding it was a team game. Having said that he was and still is my favourite player of all time.

Dont forget Arsene Wenger bought Jeffers for............... how much.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I bet half of you on here werent even born when he was in charge!!
I rate him alongside Adams as one of our greatest managers.

The Club shit all over him when he came back for his second stint.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Charlies Shinpad said:
I bet half of you on here werent even born when he was in charge!!
I rate him alongside Adams as one of our greatest managers.

The Club shit all over him when he came back for his second stint.

Mullery and Bailey were both better , and both shafted, than Adams. Adams managed us at a lower level and didn't stick around for long enough.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Ernest said:
Half weren't even born when Archer/Bellotti were here :angry: :angry: :angry:

Never a truer word spoken!!

As for Bailey.he got sacked for not having an entertaining team but is the manager who got us to our ever highest position in Div 1(Old Money)

I think it was 11th ??

But I stand to be corrected Ernest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Charlies Shinpad said:

As for Bailey.he got sacked for not having an entertaining team but is the manager who got us to our ever highest position in Div 1(Old Money)

I think it was 11th ??

13th I thought, there was even one game quite early season when we could have gone top of the league, but in true Brighton style we lost that crucial game and so missed the chance to see the Albion as the top team in the country, if just for a few days :)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Charlies Shinpad said:

I think it was 11th ??

I thought that at one stage were 7th with 0 -0 draws and 1- 0 wins if only we could have had 20 of each of those this season. 80 pts.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Charlies Shinpad said:
What Bailey done was get his back four organised as to not ship any goals,but he didnt have a decent forward line at the time.

As a result to many 0-0 draws!

50% of our problems now i.e not enough goals unfortunately not the same with the defence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Charlies Shinpad said:
What Bailey done was get his back four organised as to not ship any goals,but he didnt have a decent forward line at the time.

As a result to many 0-0 draws!

Never worked again as a League manager after he was sacked I think, which is quite unbelievable really

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I remember watchin the Albion when Bailey was in charge - it was the most boring football I have ever witnessed but we were 6th and pushing for a UEFA cup spot...The reason why he got sacked? Fans wanted him out and stopped turning up to games!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
supaseagull said:
I remember watchin the Albion when Bailey was in charge - it was the most boring football I have ever witnessed but we were 6th and pushing for a UEFA cup spot...The reason why he got sacked? Fans wanted him out and stopped turning up to games!
yes and look where it got us
fans sometimes i dont think the y know shit

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
NMH said:
Ahem! I doubt that little chestnut mona - howabout the idea that maybe Clough and Taylor had brought their own scouting staff to BHAFC, and when The esteemed Mr Taylor departed, Mullery still had those same scouts (well it might have been ONE scout) - y'know, the sort of scouts that found PETER WARD for a meagre 6thousand squid!

that sort of scout would be taylor as he signed him at burton albion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here