Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Wimbledon are no more "Wimbledon" than MK Dons

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I accept all that, but:

Have they ever played in Wimbledon? No.

Are they ever likely to play in Wimbledon? No.

So technically they have no right to use the name IMHO.

Manchester United play in Stretford which only became part of Manc in the
80s.
Lets re-name Grimsby Town .....Cleethorpes and
Bolton Wanderers .... Horwich Wanderers.
Oh and West Ham Utd don't play in West Ham.

Why am I doing this?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I accept all that, but:

They are looking to move to a new stadium so they could well play in Wimbledon again.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
FDM'S Gloves... Normally I respect someone who's a bit younger and comes on here voicing their opinion, but ever so lately you've started to make a bit of a fool of yourself mate, often presenting your opinion as fact and ending up looking a bit of an idiot.

Calm yourself down a bit and remember that just because you've done a little bit of research doesn't mean you know it all.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I think any Seagull that went to this game rather than the Franchise game at Sellhurst and saw the reaction of the true womble fans will always want franchise to be out of business.

02003-10.jpg

afc_wombles 24_08_2002

Is it really 8 years ago!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Same city. Part of our ground is not in the same town/city.

Do you deny the right for the red North Londoners to call themselves Arsenal?

Arsenal isn't a place. Woolwich Arsenal is. They don't call themselves Woolwich and play in North London.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Franchising is somthing I'm used to, through sports in American. Even with the anamosity that some fans hold movements in, its still FAR more common for an NHL team to move than EPL team.

Old friend of mine from Seaford has lived in Hartford for years, he was never into the Albion (or football full stop) when he lived over here, but he's a big NHL fan and used to go and watch the Whalers before the franchise left town, although the Bruins are his first love.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I know this may be controversial (good), but all those complaining about Franchise FC and extolling the virtues of AFC Wimbledon should remember that Kingsmeadow is not exactly Wimbledon either. In fact 4 miles from Wimbledon according to Google Maps.

So in fact AFC Wimbledon have no right to be using the Wimbledon name either.

If you're going to come out with such immature crap, perhaps you should be renamed Toys 'R' Us.

I accept all that, but:

Wrong. Not a good start.

Wrong. Not a good follow up either.

Technically they have the rigtht to call themselves whatever they want. they could call themselves 'Brighton Exiles but Wimbledon Really FC' if they chose to. So you're wrong on that as well.

3 points made and all wrong. Try harder next time.

And morally, which is what is really important here, AFC Wimbledon have every right to the name Wimbledon and every right to claim the honours won by Wimbledon FC (deceased).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As someone who lived in Wimbledon for nine years and Kingston before that, I have several friends who are AFC Wimbledon fans and goldstone is talking complete bollocks.

AFC Wimbledon have played in Wimbledon. They've even played away league games in Raynes Park, which is pretty much Wimbledon also.
They are also being backed by the council to move back, so don't rule out a move back into the borough.

Kingston and Wimbledon are about 4 miles apart anyhow. And AFCW bought the ground from Kingstonian which dug both clubs out of a hole. Granted, there is a certain amount of animosity towards AFCW from Kingstonian fans these days, but the fact is that Kingstonian were in trouble until they sold their ground.

I think the real point is that the SOUL of the club is with AFC Wimbledon. You can probably count the number of original Wimbledon fans who now follow MK, with your hands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A question for the Albion fans who have been to away games at MK.

Go to any Albion match, home or away, and you will see a wide variety of old Albion shirts in the stands.

How many old WIMBLEDON kits have you seen being worn by MK fans?

I've only been there once, and have noted various Spurs / United kits, but none of these.

Personally I think that this answers the MK Dons / Wimbledon question.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm quite sure that goldstone is on a wind-up here, but I'll bite. I've never been to the MK Dons and I never will - I'm not putting money into that abortion of a club which, if they wanted league football in Milton Keynes, should have built their way up from the bottom like everybody else. The identity of a club is not just about where they play, where they were formed, what their f***ing postcode is, FFS. As Simster says, it's about so much more than that - it's bound up in the collective memory of the support, the history of a club's experiences, where the former players' hearts lie, the genuine and unspoken right (and it will be understood by any fan where this right lies) to call yourself that club which is a paradigm of all this stuff and a lot more besides.

Actually, I might make an exception, one day, to my no-MK rule. The day AFC Wimbledon first go to MK as an away team in the League, and that day is surely coming, I may well try to get a ticket as an away fan. That would be a day which all true fans who care about where the game's going and the purity of football's soul will cherish.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
FDM'S Gloves... Normally I respect someone who's a bit younger and comes on here voicing their opinion, but ever so lately you've started to make a bit of a fool of yourself mate, often presenting your opinion as fact and ending up looking a bit of an idiot.

Calm yourself down a bit and remember that just because you've done a little bit of research doesn't mean you know it all.

I don't mean to sound like I know it all! Thats kinda half the reason I don't have the same opinion of MK Dons :lolol:

I'm trying to explain why I hold my opinion, because i'm aware its a strange'un that goes against the grain in this case! :thumbsup:

:shrug:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Old friend of mine from Seaford has lived in Hartford for years, he was never into the Albion (or football full stop) when he lived over here, but he's a big NHL fan and used to go and watch the Whalers before the franchise left town, although the Bruins are his first love.

Good tase, your friend has!

I cannot wait for the new season! And the best bit is highlights are shown here on the 'canes site, and I think several TV station sites :clap2:

The move is easier for me to understand because a) I was 4 and b) I'm not even in America. I want us to get to the play-offs so much this year, just for a run.

Actually, I might make an exception, one day, to my no-MK rule. The day AFC Wimbledon first go to MK as an away team in the League, and that day is surely coming, I may well try to get a ticket as an away fan. That would be a day which all true fans who care about where the game's going and the purity of football's soul will cherish.

TBH Herne I doubt you'll get a ticket. Even if tickets were accepted by AFCW, and that is VERY much open for debate within the dons trust and AFCW shareholders and owners, then the allocation of tickets will be tighter than a ducks arse. I've been a DT members for since 2003 and am also a shareholder in AFCW and I doubt I would be able to get tickets without appealing directly to Kris or Erik and begging.

But then tbh I wouldn't go. I go to AFCW ocasionally to say hello to mates and have a beer and if they were to get to Wembley I would certainly go - unless they were playing franchise. In that case I would go to the pub along with those of my friends who were also boycotting and watch the game from there.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Nope, they given up the history (medals, cups etc..) and are officially considered to be a completely new entity - the clue is in the name.

and beyond that, didn't mk dons leave all the trophies, etc. to the local council in wimbledon, so that they could be taken up by the contiguous afc wimbledon?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The bookies aren't too sure that Wimbledon are on their way to the football league quite yet. Despite our poor start to the season we're still 9/4 to win and you can get 8-1 on Wimbledon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The bookies aren't too sure that Wimbledon are on their way to the football league quite yet. Despite our poor start to the season we're still 9/4 to win and you can get 8-1 on Wimbledon.
9/4 seems stingy to me, considering they've just sold one of their first team strikers to Oxford...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Hopefully we'll see the Hatters back where they belong soon, far too big a club to be Non League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here