Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Wimbledon are no more "Wimbledon" than MK Dons

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So you were 4 when your NHL team moved.

Also, you're right to say "it happens"... in America.

Yeah. But they're my team so I feel it more than the MK Dons. But that might be because its quite normal to happen in America. Look at the Stars.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It's still an odd viewpoint to take, simply because something didn't happen within your experience doesn't neccesarily mean it should be dismissed out of hand.

I didn't take that much notice at the time, it's reading up on it retrospectively that's formed my opinion ( do they still teach History at school....)

I suggest you do the same :thumbsup:

( For the record I couldn't give a toss about what they do in America, for start it's not over here and it's definately not football )

I don't dismiss it, its obviously a disgrace what happened, its kind of like the bad turn of events that we could have gone down. It's so so so sad to see happen, and like I say I totally relate, and understand the hatred Wimbledon fans have towards the Dons, and fans who lived it, but I've had one opinion of MK Dons, that is they are just a team put in before the other Franchise FC one.

Plus I'm quite big on American sport and Franchising is how its run. NSC Stars are a franchise that used to be the Thunder, Whalers to Hurricanes. NASCAR its quite common for drivers to change cars and teams halfway through a season. I'd be more outraged if AFC weren't allowed to function. Its an injustice that sickens me, but I certianly don't hold MK Dons accountable because in 30/40 years time they'll have a following that are passionate. Will that **** be in the club 30/40 years time? Doubt it.

I guess i'm not judging on things I don't know about. I'd have to read up and understand what happened to be able to relate to it on a level some fans on NSC seem to.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure in your standpoint here...

im strongly in favour of the AFC team and against the franchise. i think you misunderstood, i was refering to why the reformed AFC Wimbledon club moved out of Merton. i've looked it up and now know they always played at Kingsmeadow, i thought that was a more recent change as they grew.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So what ?

So for me, moving teams around the country isn't something alien to me. In England though, the thought of a team moving a la MK Dons like a franchise has its negative connections.

I understand kind of why there is hatred for MK Dons. I don't share it. I think the person who engineered the move is a disgrace for the way in which he did it so underhand. But to hate the team? That's not something i can muster because in my experience of sport it happens.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
im strongly in favour of the AFC team and against the franchise. i think you misunderstood, i was refering to why the reformed AFC Wimbledon club moved out of Merton. i've looked it up and now know they always played at Kingsmeadow, i thought that was a more recent change as they grew.

If they've always played at Kingsmeadow which is in Kingston, then what right have they got, any more than MK Dons, to the "Wimbledon" name.

They should have been formed as AFC Kingston.

Adopting Wimbledon as part of their name sounds like a way of trying to attract sympathy and support from football fans who hated what happened with MK Dons.

So it's a con.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If they've always played at Kingsmeadow which is in Kingston, then what right have they got, any more than MK Dons, to the "Wimbledon" name.

They should have been formed as AFC Kingston.

Adopting Wimbledon as part of their name sounds like a way of trying to attract sympathy and support from football fans who hated what happened with MK Dons.

So it's a con.

Wind up alert....

I'm sure Brighton should have been renamed Gillingham II using your logic...

They were formed on Wimbledon common, if that's good enough for you.

Cheeky Chappie

Sep 27, 2007
I view MK 'Dons' as a blot on the fixture list.
The bastard creation of spiv businessmen with no soul and the FA who should have kicked the whole idea into touch. If Milton Keynes wanted a league club they should have started in Ryman Div 3 or wherever.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Goldstone....... you are either on a very stupid wind up
or you are just a complete prick? Which is it to be?!!!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Wind up alert....

I'm sure Brighton should have been renamed Gillingham II using your logic...

Brighton and Hove Albion was not formed to play at Gillingham. It was a temporary move by a long-established club until a permanent ground could be found.

AFC Wimbledon have never played anywhere but Kingston. They have no plans that I know of to build a ground in Wimbledon. Is there anywhere suitable?

In which case my argument is, what right have they to the Wimbledon name?

Not a wind-up. A reasonable question to which I have not yet heard a logical answer.

It would be like a new team being established at a ground in Burgess Hill that called itself AFC Haywards Heath.

Cheers chap, I wasn't having a pop as I thought that was what you were saying but wasn't sure.

All the best

regards and that...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So for me, moving teams around the country isn't something alien to me. In England though, the thought of a team moving a la MK Dons like a franchise has its negative connections.

I understand kind of why there is hatred for MK Dons. I don't share it. I think the person who engineered the move is a disgrace for the way in which he did it so underhand. But to hate the team? That's not something i can muster because in my experience of sport it happens.
Plenty of American sports fans have hated the "franchise owners" that have moved their team somewhere else. Some have even managed to get their teams back.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Plenty of American sports fans have hated the "franchise owners" that have moved their team somewhere else. Some have even managed to get their teams back.

I know, I'm not saying they don't, but its more common. Its hard to explain why i've got this sympathetic yet non-angry view of the MK Dons-AFC Wimbledon farce.

Franchising is somthing I'm used to, through sports in American. Even with the anamosity that some fans hold movements in, its still FAR more common for an NHL team to move than EPL team.

Its before my time, and i've never read up about it in great length. i'm aware there is a dickhead of the highest order behind it all but I still don't hate MK Dons over it.

I guess that might be the best way of explaining it.

AFC Wimbledon was formed by fans of Wimbledon FC and is owned by those same fans. They chose the name and their struggle to get the club established is recognised by all their fans as part of the same struggle that they fought (unsuccessfully) to save their club from the rapacious greed of the bastard that sold them down the river.

ANYONE who denies them this heritage is behaving DISGRACEFULLY and should be ashamed of themselves.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
AFC Wimbledon was formed by fans of Wimbledon FC and is owned by those same fans. They chose the name and their struggle to get the club established is recognised by all their fans as part of the same struggle that they fought (unsuccessfully) to save their club from the rapacious greed of the bastard that sold them down the river.

ANYONE who denies them this heritage is behaving DISGRACEFULLY and should be ashamed of themselves.

I accept all that, but:

Have they ever played in Wimbledon? No.

Are they ever likely to play in Wimbledon? No.

So technically they have no right to use the name IMHO.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I accept all that, but:

Have they ever played in Wimbledon? No.

Are they ever likely to play in Wimbledon? No.

So technically they have no right to use the name IMHO.

Same city. Part of our ground is not in the same town/city.

Do you deny the right for the red North Londoners to call themselves Arsenal?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well technically MK Dons are Wimbledon aren't they. AFC were formed before they even moved to Milton Keynes, and actually have nothing to do with Wimbledon..

Nope, they given up the history (medals, cups etc..) and are officially considered to be a completely new entity - the clue is in the name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here