Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Wimbledon are no more "Wimbledon" than MK Dons

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If they get promotion will AFC Wimbledon have to groundshare at Selhurst Park as Kingsmeadow isn't up to the minimum of League 2 standard , whereas Selhurst Park is ?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
the whole milton keynes experiment seems to be falling a bit flat on its arse isn't it? i thought they were on an inevitable march to the premiership a couple of years ago

I did too, but they have certainly stalled recently, the squad is mid table at best this year, would love to see them go down at some point.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Personally i've not got a problem with MK Dons. Yes their a franchise FC but they've handed all the history back to AFC, nothing more to see here. Let it go. AFC are going in to the League again, things will return to how they were.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im pretty sure they only moved to Kingston because they out grew their ground in Merton borough. the fans are the club, its the old Wimbledon faithfull that support AFC Wimbledon.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Personally i've not got a problem with MK Dons. Yes their a franchise FC but they've handed all the history back to AFC, nothing more to see here. Let it go. AFC are going in to the League again, things will return to how they were.

You're joking - They should have started from the BOTTOM like every other fucker has to. Try telling that to a Wimbledon fan.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I hate the fact that everyone seems to love Wimbledon now, but before MK most people hated them for their boring football and their plastic fans. Most clubs are franchises your kidding yourself if you think otherwise. In America the word franchise does not have the negative connotations that it has in England. Any club that is on the Stock Market is a franchise Imo. Don't get me wrong I despise what football has become and do feel a tiny bit of symphony for AFC but that's the modern game and anyone that thinks the Man U's and Chelsea's of this game are not franchises are not living in reality

im pretty sure they only moved to Kingston because they out grew their ground in Merton borough. the fans are the club, its the old Wimbledon faithfull that support AFC Wimbledon.

Not sure in your standpoint here but the reason Wimbledon left Merton was because their ground was sold out from under them by a shitty businesman (sound familiar) who then reneged on his promises to build a new ground. That shitty, allegedly corrupt, businesman then sold them on to a couple of Norwegians using amixture of bullshit and lies.

They, or rather their paid lackies, then lied to an FA enquiry in order to facilitate a move to franchise town. And hence franchise came into it's bastardised existence.

cockpull actually, while the chairman of Wimbledon, attended a Merton residents meeting and urged them to vote against a football team returning to the borough because football fans are hooligans. At the same time he publicly claimed to be looking for a way for Wimbledon to get back to Merton.

Everything the franchise say is in fact based on lies and deceipt. There is noting about their existance that should give football fans reason for anything but sickness.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You're joking - They should have started from the BOTTOM like every other fucker has to. Try telling that to a Wimbledon fan.

thst just it though. i'm not a Wimbledon fan. I don't expect any fan to hate Archer and co bar Brighton ones. They should have started at the bottom. They didn't. AFC are a side i like becasue they're fighting the odds to get in to the league again. It was harsh and unfair what happened. No doubt. But i'm not a Wimbledon fan. They have a team again, yes in the bottom but i'd follow Brighton if we were there.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Put it this way, my NHL Side moved from Hartford (Where they were teh Hartford Whalers) to Carolina to become the Carolina Hurricanes. It happens. Sure an exile like me doesn't feel it as much as those FROM hartford but you know what, they had the bad things happen to us, and they're coming through, its great to see but I don't know enough to hate MK Dons.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
thst just it though. i'm not a Wimbledon fan. I don't expect any fan to hate Archer and co bar Brighton ones. They should have started at the bottom. They didn't. AFC are a side i like becasue they're fighting the odds to get in to the league again. It was harsh and unfair what happened. No doubt. But i'm not a Wimbledon fan. They have a team again, yes in the bottom but i'd follow Brighton if we were there.

No offence and I really don't mean this patronisingly so pls don't take it the wrong way but I think it's down to your age that you have this opinion - I'm assuming ur 16 / 17. Either that or the fact you're fairly new to watching the Albion. You don't realise about fans United and those values. Or how out of order the treatment of Wimbledon was. You weren't at Selhurst for the Dons game when we took a couple of thousand and they had about 70 fans there and we were standing up for football and giving their board shit (cant remember the chairmans name now). Trust me it's not about who u support, it's about what's right and wrong and being a football fan. It's not all hatred and rivalries you know - being a real football fan and appreciating other clubs getting f***ed over is far more important.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
No offence and I really don't mean this patronisingly so pls don't take it the wrong way but I think it's down to your age that you have this opinion - I'm assuming ur 16 / 17. Either that or the fact you're fairly new to watching the Albion. You don't realise about fans United and those values. Or how out of order the treatment of Wimbledon was. You weren't at Selhurst for the Dons game when we took a couple of thousand and they had about 70 fans there and we were standing up for football and giving their board shit (cant remember the chairmans name now). Trust me it's not about who u support, it's about what's right and wrong and being a football fan. It's not all hatred and rivalries you know - being a real football fan and appreciating other clubs getting f***ed over is far more important.

its exactly my age. I'm 17. I hate Archer and Bellotti because its instilled as an Albion fan innately. I'm sure AFC fans feel the same as I do to Archer etc to MK Dons.

But I don't share AFC's hatred because I don't remember it, its not my team. I'm saddened that It happened (i assume it was after us) because we SHOULD have been a blueprint for what not to have happen, but it didn't turn out like that. Sympathy to Wimbledon, and I hold the MK Dons board in a bad light, but to hate the team? I can't actually hate MK Dons, or MK Dons fans because of the fact they're founded on lies that they didn't tell. The players didnt tell those lies. The Chairman did and he sounds like a ****.

But its not my team. I stand united for football, but not for a team: AFC Wimbledon. If there were marches now, i'd go on them. But its happened, and its not my team, so yes, i'd stick up for them over MK any day. And its a disgrace to football but its before my time. So its not my disgrace.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
its exactly my age. I'm 17. I hate Archer and Bellotti because its instilled as an Albion fan innately. I'm sure AFC fans feel the same as I do to Archer etc to MK Dons.

But I don't share AFC's hatred because I don't remember it, its not my team. I'm saddened that It happened (i assume it was after us) because we SHOULD have been a blueprint for what not to have happen, but it didn't turn out like that. Sympathy to Wimbledon, and I hold the MK Dons board in a bad light, but to hate the team? I can't actually hate MK Dons, or MK Dons fans because of the fact they're founded on lies that they didn't tell. The players didnt tell those lies. The Chairman did and he sounds like a ****.

But its not my team. I stand united for football, but not for a team: AFC Wimbledon. If there were marches now, i'd go on them. But its happened, and its not my team, so yes, i'd stick up for them over MK any day. And its a disgrace to football but its before my time. So its not my disgrace.

Fair play - and a well thought out reply. :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I've got a massive problem with them and will continue to do so until they pass the real "Dons" on their way up. It will be a sad day for football if other fans stepped into to help them if they did....

The examples of "franchising" in America are completely different. This new "enterprise" stole the place of another team as far as I'm concerned. Just because something didn't happen within your memory, doesn't make it irrelevant. What a depressing viewpoint to take.

Pariahs of the football world as far as I'm concerned and a disgrace they even thought of applying as a World Cup venue.

Sorry if my principles offend more laissez-faire football fans.

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Fair play - and a well thought out reply. :thumbsup:

Supporting the ALbion means i can relate, and I understand older fans feeling the way they do to MK dons, but if you weren't there you can't really connect with the situation I guess. MK Dons are a decent play-off pushing side and therefore only an obsticle in our own rise up the system. To others they're more. And yeah, fair enough. Its uniting for football, somthing i'd do if a situation arose. Just not this one because its been and gone.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I've got a massive problem with them and will continue to do so until they go the way of the real "Dons". It will be a sad day for football if other fans stepped into to help them if they did....

Pariahs of the football world as far as I'm concerned and a disgrace they even thought of applying as a World Cup venue.

I mean no harm, but i'm guessing your an adult, 25+?

You had that connection with the time. Its like expecting say a Stockport FC fan, or a Plymouth fan of my age to understand and feel strongly about our plight in recent years. They may understand, and relate, feel sorry for us, but not hold it in such a negitive light, where as the fans of teams who were old enough to remember our fight, will feel much more strongly (much like you do about MK Dons).

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Put it this way, my NHL Side moved from Hartford (Where they were teh Hartford Whalers) to Carolina to become the Carolina Hurricanes. It happens. Sure an exile like me doesn't feel it as much as those FROM hartford but you know what

its exactly my age. I'm 17

So you were 4 when your NHL team moved.

Also, you're right to say "it happens"... in America.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I mean no harm, but i'm guessing your an adult, 25+?

You had that connection with the time. Its like expecting say a Stockport FC fan, or a Plymouth fan of my age to understand and feel strongly about our plight in recent years. They may understand, and relate, feel sorry for us, but not hold it in such a negitive light, where as the fans of teams who were old enough to remember our fight, will feel much more strongly (much like you do about MK Dons).

It's still an odd viewpoint to take, simply because something didn't happen within your experience doesn't neccesarily mean it should be dismissed out of hand.

I didn't take that much notice at the time, it's reading up on it retrospectively that's formed my opinion ( do they still teach History at school....)

I suggest you do the same :thumbsup:

( For the record I couldn't give a toss about what they do in America, for start it's not over here and it's definately not football )

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here