Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins leaving it late for a push into Europe

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Southampton look like the weakest team in that division, their defence looks totally lost and to stay up you have to defend.

Adkins arrogance made him think that he only needed to have a front line attack and even then he didn't need any experienced Premiership players.

They made Arsenal look very good yesterday

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I think you will pick up points and be reasonably comfortable by the end of the season.

I don't get the dislike of Southampton, though I think it is more to do with Adkins' gracelessness more than anything else. I have no issue with the 'keeping up' comment, as Gus comes out with some goonish comments all the time, and he was probably just trying to have a minor wind up, but refusing to acknowledge our winning of L1 a couple of years ago in the traditional way just seemed a bit small minded and petty.

You are the SEVENTH biggest net spenders in Europe this transfer window, so I presume those signings will make an improvement to a side which I always thought was pretty decent to begin with.

You don't think some of the dislike of Southampton could be due to the arrogant Southampton chumps that come on here all the time?

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interestingly when asked the question, few Albion fans are predicting we'll go down. Probably because 3/4 of our games have been against teams that are gulf away than nearly all other Prem teams.

I saw you lot play Posh at home last season to go to temporarily top and I was pretty impressed, as I was on Friday tbf. But then my next Amex game was Leeds at home in which u were awful in the 1st half and good in the 2nd. Then I saw Palace at home and it was a dyer performance. Point is its a long season, just like it is for us.

Redknapp working for Cortese?? Jeez.

its a game of confidence...longer yur lot go without a win the worse it will get ..fixture list wasnt kind to u....but wigan at home?..bet yur boss had tht down as 3 points...start winning yur home games u might hav a chance..a small one

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I thought Saints would do fine, but that start will take some getting away from. Something as simple as the fixture list could have doomed them. Other clubs who've come up and stayed up - or almost stayed up - did so on a great start - Swansea, Norwich, Hull, Reading, Blackpool who almost did it. Those who start slowly often have to change manager and sign a shedload of players to do it, e.g. QPR last year. Others have pedigree like Newcastle and West Ham.

Right now I can't see Saints staying up unless Adkins goes. That he will be sacked if Saints are doing poorly by end October is a given.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't it mentioned recently that no team has lost its opening three games and stayed up? (Or no newly promoted team?)

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Southampton look like the weakest team in that division, their defence looks totally lost and to stay up you have to defend.

Adkins arrogance made him think that he only needed to have a front line attack and even then he didn't need any experienced Premiership players.

They made Arsenal look very good yesterday

To be fair, I actually think that Arsenal are very good. their demolition of Liverpool a couple of weeks back, albeit only against liverpool, was impressive. As for the SCT? Larfable, should have stayed in the Championship for another few seasons.

TNBA

TTF

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Soton's keeper & defence are poor. They would have been better off spending £20 million on defence rather the the forward line. Doomed with clueless Adkins in charge

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't get the dislike of Southampton, though I think it is more to do with Adkins' gracelessness more than anything else.
You don't think some of the dislike of Southampton could be due to the arrogant Southampton chumps that come on here all the time?
It's both of those facts, and the SCC/Spurs conspiracy of the 70s. I don't think we really have anything against them in general. Adkins was an idiot a couple of years ago, and thankfully we won the league ahead of them. And apart from Palace, there aren't really a significant number other fans that come on NSC talking trash.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In addition to the earlier mention of the samaritans phone line, and sms service. They've also set up and email address sixone@theemirates.com.

Haha. Original jokes are great. Especially when you take the joke you are basically repeating and reference it in the "new" joke you are telling. I'm a comedy genius. Haha!

It's how I'm going to tell all my jokes now. Here's a new one based on the chicken crossing the road to get to the other side... Why did the turkey cross the road? To get to the other side! :lolol: :O:rotlf:

D

Deleted member 18477

this thread is hilarious :lol:

Time will tell if Southampton are good enough for the prem. IF they're still in contention to stay up they will sign a few players in Jan and then anything can happen. They've been very unfortunate to have utd, arsenal and city in their opening fixtures!

Brighton have had easy fixtures? Barnsley? yes ok. Sheff weds? The massive Sheff weds? Who carry all the promotion momentum? Burnley? At turf moor? Against the goal scoring machine Charlie austin? Cardiff? A team with craig Bellamy? Ohh yea really easy fixtures :lol:

DanielT

In addition to the earlier mention of the samaritans phone line, and sms service. They've also set up and email address sixone@theemirates.com.

Haha. Original jokes are great. Especially when you take the joke you are basically repeating and reference it in the "new" joke you are telling. I'm a comedy genius. Haha!

It's how I'm going to tell all my jokes now. Here's a new one based on the chicken crossing the road to get to the other side... Why did the turkey cross the road? To get to the other side! :lolol: :O:rotlf:

I had another, but I fear it could lead to you having a soiling incident, so I shall hold it back. Great turkey joke though

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had another, but I fear it could lead to you having a soiling incident, so I shall hold it back. Great turkey joke though

Is it the kickstarter appeal they've set up to fund buying a new goalkeeper signing at http://www.kickstarter.com/616161? Or the fax service on 616161? Or the CB Radio helpful ear, handle: 616161? or perhaps the faceboook support group 'we are the sick ones' (sick ones / 6-1s - geddit?!)?

Doesn't look good for Southampton when you buy Crystal Palaces fullback and put him straight into your first team. They seem to have a revolving door policy of signings - get em in, try em out, sling em out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Soton's keeper & defence are poor. They would have been better off spending £20 million on defence rather the the forward line. Doomed with clueless Adkins in charge

Absolutely this. If I were a Soton fan I would be baffled why the minute Adkins saw the Prem fixtures announced and the really tough start they had he didn't use the transfer window to substantially reinforce his defence. That would have been money well invested and maybe getting even a couple of points from the first 3 or 4 games would have taken some of the huge pressure off him and his team that they are now feeling. It seems remarkably naive (or arrogant?) to think he would emerge without a battering from the opening fixtures. Now he's fighting a rearguard and the damage may already be terminal.

It begs serious questions about Adkins abilities - either he thought his defence was good enough - or he hadn't the budget to reinforce both defence and or attack and made the wrong call. Worse still if it emerges that he did have the budget, but failed to use it all. All that hard work to get to the Prem and you look like blowing it in the first month.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Lesson to be learnt here, you need to be able to defend and mustn't leak goals. You are better off spending £15M on 2 experienced defenders and £5M on a keeper than £20M on an attacker.

Both Reading and Stains look woeful at the back and the teams dropping back down all in recent years leaked goals teams that could defend stayed up

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Why are you on here? Surely being a Prem side, abiet bottom, you should be dancing with the kings, not mixing with the Championship slummers. Let me put you straight on one thing pal, I do not predict, I never have and never will, I think you're mixing me up with someone that cares. In the similar words of a certain Norwegian commentator of a few years ago, your boys are going to take one hell of a beating, and personally I'm looking forward to it... once a scummer always a scummer, arrogant dick heads being taught a lesson... loving it.

Well let me put you straight on one thing.

Your goal this year is to gain promotion and tbf you’ve had an encouraging few games against (judging by what I saw on Friday) not brilliant teams. That said you can only beat who’s been put in front of you. Your best players for me the other day were Bruno, Bridge and CMS. Bruno & Bridge are in their 30’s who are far more likely to lose form over a 50 game season, and CMS started brilliantly last season but lost form as the season wore on. Given that your likely route is via the play offs I’d put your chances of promotion at around 25%

We however are already in the Premiership. Agreed we could have done with beating Wigan but you cant legislate for the other defeats. Fact is we bought international class in the window, all of which finally arrived at SMS 2 days before the Emirates game. Hardly great preparation. A few positive results and were mixing it towards mid table.

Fact is you’d love to swap places with us and you know it. You certainly represent the utterly thick and deluded minority of Brighton fans who for some reason care more about us losing than yourselves winning. Thought that would end what with us being in different league than you, but alas no. You let your fan base down mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here