Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Accepting facts and old age

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
Today is going to be a particularly traumatic day for me as I have finally accepted certain facts and am now going to throw out my Addidas Beckenbauer football boots that I wore in the late seventies and as late as the 1984 football season. (the laces have completely rotted away)
Having recently celebrated my 50th birthday the realisation that A) I`m not going to make it and B) I`m not even ever going to play again has knocked me back a bit. OK I haven`t played for 20 years but that`s not the point is it ?
This has come on the back of last year when I threw out a pair of Steve Ovett running shoes when I realised the world mile record was now beyond me.

Anyone else been through this ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It starts when you realise that Policepersons, Doctors and Dentists are all younger than you. Your hair goes grey (and with a lot of blokes, falls out) and you also find that Radio One is very annoying.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It starts when to realise that Policepersons, Doctors and Dentists are all younger than you. Your hair goes grey (and with a lot of blokes, falls out) and you also find that Radio One is very annoying.

With the honourable exception of John Peel, was there ever a time when Radio One wasn't very annoying?

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
The first time I used those Beckenbauer boots was in a Worthing League game where I was marking the great Richard Tiltman. We lost 15 nil.
I wasn`t really a defender though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The first time I used those Beckenbauer boots was in a Worthing League game where I was marking the great Richard Tiltman. We lost 15 nil.
I wasn`t really a defender though.

that used to be my story

whatever you do look after your legs I am 64 now and they have always been my savior I have been able to walk miles now the bastard knee's have decided to give up the ghost.
every thing else I have been able to cope with the big C,diabetes,arthritis, ect ect but if my knees have gone then I am reliant on the NHS to try and repair them which basically means I'm fecked, unless my doctor is the good old miracle worker he has been in the past and give me my old anti inflamatory drugs back(the last ones were with drawn because some twat saved his and tried to do away with himself with them) and my old pain killers withdrawn for the same reason which proves the old adage that you are only going to be pain free as long as the other bastards play along with the game I mean if you ARE going to do away with yourself then throw yourself of Beachy head or under a bus that way you will only affect yourself and not others who are in pain

RANT OVER

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It's also a real pisser when you realise that having reached 50, you're now nearer to being 60 than you are to being 40; and when you reach 60 .... etc.

It's all down to mental attitude; some people seem to be born old while others remain young. I remember a kid at school who carried on like he was an old codger - he was sixty at fifteen; but we've all seen sixty, seventy, eighty year olds who do things as though they were half their age.

Stay young!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Today is going to be a particularly traumatic day for me as I have finally accepted certain facts and am now going to throw out my Addidas Beckenbauer football boots that I wore in the late seventies and as late as the 1984 football season. (the laces have completely rotted away)
Having recently celebrated my 50th birthday the realisation that A) I`m not going to make it and B) I`m not even ever going to play again has knocked me back a bit. OK I haven`t played for 20 years but that`s not the point is it ?
This has come on the back of last year when I threw out a pair of Steve Ovett running shoes when I realised the world mile record was now beyond me.

Anyone else been through this ?

I'm 48 and just starting to think that I might never play for England. Not sure I'd understand Fabios teamtalks anyway, so maybe it's a good thing.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm 50 at the end of the month, still keeping fit, but the pschological barrier I'm about to crash through is depressing.
f*** it.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It starts when you realise that Policepersons, Doctors and Dentists are all younger than you. Your hair goes grey (and with a lot of blokes, falls out) and you also find that Radio One is very annoying.

To be fair I'm only 24 and whilst I have a beautiful head of brown hair I find Radio 1 ball breakingly annoying!!! :angry:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
With the honourable exception of John Peel, was there ever a time when Radio One wasn't very annoying?

Blimey,I thought he was the most annoying of all, playing obscure music that no-one except the pseuds wanted to listen to!:lol:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm 50 this year and in the last three years I have run a half marathon, completed an olympic distance triathlon and been ski-ing for the first time in 25 years. This year I'm aiming to cycle the South Downs way and now I've started trampolining. I'm now fitter than I've ever been, but then I used to be a fat slob.

I thought the worst barrier for me was 35. Closer to 50 than 20. Now I just know I'm old!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here