Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Accepting facts and old age

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The first time I used those Beckenbauer boots was in a Worthing League game where I was marking the great Richard Tiltman. We lost 15 nil.
You made Tiltman look good and you've only just realised you're not going to make it???

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im 55 now... my last three girlfriends (2 here in CZ, last one in Germany) are/were 25...and more beautiful than anything previously.
Its more an exercise in managing their expectations...so far..so good!..

Realised at 16 that I was enthusiastic, but crap at football or sports generally...

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
just had a cardio stress test this morning and been called the fittest 55 year old the quack has seen;
my hearing is going so i may have missed "today but you are my first patient"

anyway as far as i am concerned the quack is the harry rednapp of his profession and i am enjoying being bigged up today; makes the brighton marathon training worthwhile!

It's also a real pisser when you realise that having reached 50, you're now nearer to being 60 than you are to being 40; and when you reach 60 .... etc.

It's all down to mental attitude; some people seem to be born old while others remain young. I remember a kid at school who carried on like he was an old codger - he was sixty at fifteen; but we've all seen sixty, seventy, eighty year olds who do things as though they were half their age.

Stay young!

Precisely. Think of the old soul from Portsmouth (o.k., I will overlook that) who abseils down high buildings for charity. I think she is nearly 90.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My daughter is sitting next to me playing songs from the sixties on her computer.Kinks,Stones.Beatles,early Dylan.

I remember them all from when I was alive.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
age is just a number!

Or perhaps not even that. I don't remember being born, so only have my parents' word for it how old I actually am.

Maybe they lied on my birth certificate... I have no way of telling.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
It starts when you realise that Policepersons, Doctors and Dentists are all younger than you. Your hair goes grey (and with a lot of blokes, falls out) and you also find that Radio One is very annoying.

Do they still have 'Our Tune' on mid morning ? On radio 1 ? I used to like that. I presume Simon Bates is still doing that show.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I turned 50 last year.
Although I don't consider myself retarded, I believe I have the mental age of a 25 year old.
Still playing cricket, but the bowling is getting slower and slower each year and batting against the quicks is hampered by slower reactions - however I enjoy it and it helps me stay fit(er).
I wasn't too bothered about chucking away my footie boots when I was 40 - as 90 mins was a real chore by then - still get fun out of 5-a-side but very late in the tackle now [slow]

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ps. Chris Chelios kept going at professional ice hockey until he was 48 and there was some bloke in japan who played rugby well into his nineties. age is just a number!

I heard about some woman from Croydon who was the same age. Mind you I heard she was a hooker.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Do they still have 'Our Tune' on mid morning ? On radio 1 ? I used to like that. I presume Simon Bates is still doing that show.

I was working with Simon Bates at Classic FM and that was at least ten years ago ! Nice bloke though.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Next thing you'll be wanting are lifts at the Amex, you old git.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It can sometimes have it's advantages, though.
I remember one game against Millwall on a Tuesday night at Withdean and the Millwall fans were pouring out of the ground at the same time as us and giving it large.
So I went up to one of the coppers in charge, started wacking him and saying "why have you let them out at the same time as us? You should have kept them behind!"

If I'd been a young thing, he'd have had me nicked, but he was all apologetic and just said "sorry, madam, it wasn't my decision".

I felt all powerful!!!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When you father a child at 50 and when offering something to the child old dears ask if their Grandfather would like one too.
Anyhoo sport. Gave up running at 17, to hard, not enough girls. Football gave me up at about 12 cos I's shit at it.
Because I come from an old Brighton fishing family I ought to be good with boats? Turns out I was, and managed to have loads of fun and make a few bob in a sport which involves a fair bit of sitting down. Still do.
I think the annual ski trip will have to go, no money, but that's never stopped me before. What will stop it are the pills I take for blood pressure, they make my feet and ankles swell up, so I can't get my boots on any more. For the first time in 40 years, two years ago, I fell over and hurt myself badly, broke my humerus and tore the rotator cuff, pain you wouldn't believe it.
The worse thing about getting old however is that you become invisible, and younger people are not interested in learning from your experience. Hello, hello are you listning, hello is any body there. HELLO. :cry:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The first sign of getting old for me was realising people stopped giving me nightclub flyers......used to annoy me when people used to give them to me...not getting them bugged me even more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here