Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abusive fans will be banned!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
ROSM said:
NSC never ceases to make me laugh.How a group of relatively intelligent individuals (plus some not so) can get so hot under the collar on this article is a source of wonder.

Just read what Perry has said:

"I am aware that two players were abused during the warm-up. I've had a preliminary report and I've called for further reports.

Nothing contentious there

"If an incident like that is reported to us at the time and we can catch the culprits we would take action.

This depends on what 'the incident' is so again hardly a shock. Could it be that the abuse was more than just 'you're rubbish Cox - get off' what if the comments were more sustained and were say homophobic or another more personal form of prolonged abuse?

"When we get reports about foul and abusive language, which is the same thing, we gather the evidence to catch the culprits. That has happened in the past and we've dealt with it.

again, what is contentious about this?

"Depending on the nature of the offence, we would ban those involved for a period until they see the error of their ways."

so what he is saying is that the facts will be reviewed and a decision is based on the facts and investigation - what's contentious about that?

I think the only missing part of this is the potential repurcussions about Adam El-Abd but again it depends what questions were asked of Martin Perry. I very much doubt he rang Andy Naylor up unsolicited to make these comments.

But despite this - NSC still proceeds to do what it does best - have a witch hunt against one of the club officials.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think that Albion fans are getting and seeing exactly the kind of team and performances that the behaviour of a number of them deserve. It's just a pity that the vast majority of Albion fans are also having to suffer it.

Spot on. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
supaseagull said:
I agree - it just reminds me of when we played Blackburn at the Goldstone a few years back and around 100 police officers stood in front of the north stand because the board told them to.

Why wont anybody actually read what has been said?

And with regard to this - the decision to police in that manor on that day was taken by David Ashley who was the superintendent in charge of policing at the Goldstone.

Following representations from the Supporters' Club after that and a meteing with him, he apologised and in fact future policing at the Goldstone was far more sensitively handled including the last couple of seasons.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:

"When we get reports about foul and abusive language, which is the same thing, we gather the evidence to catch the culprits. That has happened in the past and we've dealt with it.

again, what is contentious about this?

I can't argue about most of your post but I DO find that contentious. Maybe we've just got different mindsets but I believe there IS a place for foul and abusive language at footbal, it's part of the passion and the emotion. Sustained abuse - no. (And certainly not before a game!) Shouting and swearing at the ref/line-0/their number 9/our number 5/ whoever using every anglo-saxon expletive under the sun in old and ocassionally imaginative ways - yes.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Brovian said:
I can't argue about most of your post but I DO find that contentious. Maybe we've just got different mindsets but I believe there IS a place for foul and abusive language at footbal, it's part of the passion and the emotion. Sustained abuse - no. (And certainly not before a game!) Shouting and swearing at the ref/line-0/their number 9/our number 5/ whoever using every anglo-saxon expletive under the sun in old and ocassionally imaginative ways - yes.

but what he ISNT saying is that reports of foul and abusive language will result in an automatic ban which is what many on here are reading into it.

At the end of the day it is about context and I doubt very much that the odd comment in block H in the context of the game will result in complaints being made in the first place

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brovian said:

Every base needs to be covered. I would imagine foul and abusive language covers a whole range of things, including sustained vitriolic abuse. It is then up to the jugdement of the stewards to report the problem if they deem it to be necessary.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:
but what he ISNT saying is that reports of foul and abusive language will result in an automatic ban which is what many on here are reading into it.

At the end of the day it is about context and I doubt very much that the odd comment in block H in the context of the game will result in complaints being made in the first place
Yes, accepted. I'd made my second post without realising you'd replied to my first.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ban me then. If I'm not allowed to shout "For Fucks SAKE *whoever* clear it!!!!!" then I don't want to go.

How about refs? Am I allowed to swear at refs?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
hans kraay fan club said:
Us, swearing?

Sustained abuse of a player?

Billy Sharp, anyone?:)

Not me- I just said:

'go home Sharp, You're no good. Now be off with you before you cry'*

*said in my best south london accent a la the palace fan who claimed that all he'd said to Eric Cantona was 'now off you go.It's an early bath for you' just before cantona kung fu drop kicked him halfway to Purley Oaks.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brovian said:
Well said. Yelling abuse in the heat of the moment is part of football. You can tell 'they' won't be happy until the emotion of a crowd at a football match has been reduced to the level of a nice, well-mannered 'happy clappy' sport like tennis.

Well Withdean has seen to that in most ways.

Although abusing players before a ball has been kicked is out of order, frustration and swearing during the game is part and parcel.

How do I apply for one of these bans in advance, cut out the middle man and all that?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyone able to post that picture from the Argus?

I'm there yelling my head off, but I object to the implication from the article that it's perhaps abuse like that from the likes of ME that led to the El-Abd outburst at the end.

In that moment, I'm pretty convinced that I was yelling at either the lino (a regular rant from me), or perhaps the ref (equally regular) or in the case of the Bradford game, probably me shouting at one of their "tough Yorkshiremen" rolling around feigning injury like a big girl.

That was NOT me dishing out abuse to El-Abd, and nor was it me having a go at the players in the warm-up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
supaseagull said:
oh crap - we are in trouble then:down:

:lol:
I did a bit of stewarding at Whaddon Road during my Uni days and it is quite a difficult job.

On the one hand you are being told to avoid any confrontation at all costs, but also enforce the ground rules at all costs. Personal judgement and common sense is a much more useful tool than enforcing every single rule to the 't'.

You do get a fair amount of abuse for daring to have a saturday job and wear an orange jacket. The Chester City fans were the worst and were laying into me for supporting such a crap club. I pointed out that I was actually a Brighton fan and they quickly shut up. That 7-1 defeat two months before must have still hurt. :D

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Fer gawds sake, what a silly argument. Perry's commennts were about if or when complaints are made. I suspect nobody is going to get reported, for example for saying during a game, "fer fucks sake (substitute player of your choice - for most NSCers - not me - Mayo) you bloody idiot, stop pissing about and just belt the ball into row Z, you twat; its deep into injury time and we are winning 1-0". OK they may be reported for an unecessarily defensive attitude and/or a lack of good coaching skills but you know what I mean.

If on the other hand various oafs are swearing at players on the bench or before kick off then I reckon they get what they deserve and I would happily report them myself.

Some people on this list would cause a row in an empty room.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
will always be allowed to swear at football (c u * t word the exception) , wouldnt worry about it too much . There are always many more drunk idiots using terrible language non stop and getting personal to worry about it.
If you are a fan that has few beers , goes to football , sings , swears and lets out frustration........You will have no probs

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think this is the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Bye Bye Withdean.

You can kiss your £300+ a season goodbye Perry.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Gritt23 said:
Anyone able to post that picture from the Argus?

I'm there yelling my head off, but I object to the implication from the article that it's perhaps abuse like that from the likes of ME that led to the El-Abd outburst at the end.

In that moment, I'm pretty convinced that I was yelling at either the lino (a regular rant from me), or perhaps the ref (equally regular) or in the case of the Bradford game, probably me shouting at one of their "tough Yorkshiremen" rolling around feigning injury like a big girl.

That was NOT me dishing out abuse to El-Abd, and nor was it me having a go at the players in the warm-up.

Im so glad i didn't go Saturday, had friday and monday off sick and if i had gone would have been smack in the middle of the photo.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
bhafc4eva said:
Im so glad i didn't go Saturday, had friday and monday off sick and if i had gone would have been smack in the middle of the photo.

Have you seen the photo then?

I do rather come out of it looking like EXACTLY the sort of person Perry wants banned, and indeed probably incited the whole El-Abd moment, don't I?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here