Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

About The Worst BHAFC Game For Ages

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am with you on this CB. There is definitely a sour undercurrent slating Wilkins if things don't work out.

He is a rookie manager with a very young team. The only experience he has as a manager is this season and the youth set up. At youth level, it is all about developing players and performances, rather than points above all else.

I always thought that Brighton fans, of all fans, should be in touch with reality and take the rough with the smooth. We have seen some great games this season and a gradual improvement over the last few months.

We are seeing some tired legs after a very long season. There is a reason why the majority of footballers peak in their mid/late twenties.

Hell, we have played 48 games already, when a large proportion of our squad were playing 30 games max against weaker opposition.

As Badger said, I am not saying we have a managerial genius on our hands - we may or may not - but he certainly deserves our support. Anyone that thinks his job is easy, needs a reality check.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yorkie said:
I haven't written off Wilkins but yesterday's game was abysmal and according to the match report he tore into the players for it.
He should have changed his tactics when he realised that the diamond wasn't working.

Don't you think it nullifies your point of view when you post that people who disagree with you are spackers. Just like Algie who reckons others are cretins.

When you both mature maybe you can have a discussion on the merits or dismerits of the manager's tactics without being so insulting.
:lolol:

I might just flounce now.There's no point in discussing with people who don't give Wilkins a bloody chance.You Yorkie certainly have jumped on the bandwagon and it gets boring reading your posts as they are so negative towards Wilkins.By the way,when do you mature?I'm 34 and was just wondering:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't have to jump on bandwagons. I have a mind of my own. I comment on individual matches and yesterday was awful. Last week was good. I don't even want Wilkins to be sacked. I just don't think he is doing a good job.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Barrel of Fun said:
I am with you on this CB. There is definitely a sour undercurrent slating Wilkins if things don't work out.

He is a rookie manager with a very young team. The only experience he has as a manager is this season and the youth set up. At youth level, it is all about developing players and performances, rather than points above all else.

I always thought that Brighton fans, of all fans, should be in touch with reality and take the rough with the smooth. We have seen some great games this season and a gradual improvement over the last few months.

We are seeing some tired legs after a very long season. There is a reason why the majority of footballers peak in their mid/late twenties.

Hell, we have played 48 games already, when a large proportion of our squad were playing 30 games max against weaker opposition.

As Badger said, I am not saying we have a managerial genius on our hands - we may or may not - but he certainly deserves our support. Anyone that thinks his job is easy, needs a reality check.

In my opinion, it's due to resentment at his appointment, not so much him. I'm not his biggest fan, but i think that's partially because he's not a proven manager that i expected. I've not been watching this club long, and have only seen us properly under Adams, Taylor, Hinshelwood (which quickly ended in disaster) Coppell and McGhee, all (with the obvious exception of Hinsh) proven, quality managers. We came down before, lost our best player and still came back up.

However, last season we went down without much of a fight, and now have a completely unproven manager with no hope of even giving us a push for the play-offs. It's quite hard to get used to that. If we're to have an entertaining season, we need either a) major player investment or b) a really good new manager, and for once, i don't think we got either. We sacked a proven manager for a newbie, who's hardly inspiring.

At the moment, all the pro Wilkins fans are saying give him time, and in a couple of years time when he's learned the trade we can push for promotion. The non Wilkins fans, such as myself, think we could have been a good team (not neccessarily a promotion team, but an entertaining one) with a proper and established manager.

I guess it's down to patience - some of you have it, and fair play to you. But others who are concerned at not getting very much enjoyment out of their expenditure clearly don't have that patience.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Complete Badger said:
I love the way people talk of us being "in a mess." Why? We are comfortably safe in league one with 7 games still to play - what's so bad about that? There were so many faults in McGhee's team that started this season promotion was NEVER a possibility. I'm jus grateful Wilkins has kept us up without a struggle.

We were in a struggle not so long ago. Wilkins got VERY lucky in getting Savage who had scored a monumental 2 goals before us. How much worse off would we be without the goals he got us?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Da Man Clay said:
We were in a struggle not so long ago. Wilkins got VERY lucky in getting Savage who had scored a monumental 2 goals before us. How much worse off would we be without the goals he got us?

Very true, the timing of the savage signing was vital. He really seemed to get everyone going for a few games in which we picked up some vital results. He has basically been the main reason why we are no longer in the serious relegation scrap we were drifting dangerously towards around January.

EDIT: I dont think Wilkins was "lucky" think it was a good signing, agree with the importance of the savage goals.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Da Man Clay said:

I agree that we have struggled, but to say Wilkins got lucky is a bit harsh. He saw talent in a player, signed him, and he's delivered. He at least deserves appluading for that:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:
I agree that we have struggled, but to say Wilkins got lucky is a bit harsh. He saw talent in a player, signed him, and he's delivered. He at least deserves appluading for that:clap:

We got him because we offered a year's contract and Gillingham only until the end of the season. If Gillingham had been a bit more generous we wouldn't have stood a chance.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:
We got him because we offered a year's contract and Gillingham only until the end of the season. If Gillingham had been a bit more generous we wouldn't have stood a chance.

Oh yes, the circumstances of getting him were a bit lucky i suppose.

But i think the point D'clay is trying to make is that Wilkins got lucky that Savage went from being seemingly rubbish to a decent player. That seem's a bit harsh on Wilkins, but then again i may have interpreted him wrongly.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:

But i think the point D'clay is trying to make is that Wilkins got lucky that Savage went from being seemingly rubbish to a decent player. That seem's a bit harsh on Wilkins, but then again i may have interpreted him wrongly.
All football managers need some luck.

Savage seems to score every other game now so he should score against the Cobblers next week. :lolol: :lolol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Withdean Wanderer said:

You interperate correctly. I want Wilkins in the job btw Tom so its not that.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Someone please tell me how Wilkins is LUCKY that Savage turned out to be good? Surely to god Wilkins saw something in him that persuaded him to sign him. It wasn't just pot luck, Wilkins must have had a reason for getting him, and it's all credit to Wilkins that our Bas has turned out to be the goalscoring beast he is.

I can see arguing about Wilkins is going to be like arguing that Henderson is better than Kuipers! I think it was more that he was a target man to be honest, I dont think he was purchased for his goal scoring ability but more his ability to win headers and pressurize defenders. He just got lucky (maybe a slightly harsh word) that Savage has got a few goals for us.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
sir danny cullip said:
Lucky..we offered him a longer contract and more money doesn't seem like luck to me!

Lucky that Gillingham clearly didn't rate him that much, as they can afford to pay better wages than us!

Someone please tell me how Wilkins is LUCKY that Savage turned out to be good? Surely to god Wilkins saw something in him that persuaded him to sign him. It wasn't just pot luck, Wilkins must have had a reason for getting him, and it's all credit to Wilkins that our Bas has turned out to be the goalscoring beast he is.

For once, i am in full agreement with you there.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Wilkins doesn't seem to like Michel that much, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Michel leave in the summer. For that alone, I should be HATING Wilkins. Perhaps if noone else was questioning him, I might decide to get on his back. But, in all seriousness, the criticisms aimed at Wilkins by some on here are absolutely pathetic. This may be a lazy observation, but is it fair to say that those who want to put Wilkins down at every chance are the same people who were firmly lodged up a certain Scotsman's rectum around this time last year?

Well im not one that wants Wilkins out and was an MM inner. How about the point about Savage made in my post? Im just curious.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Withdean Wanderer said:
Lucky that Gillingham clearly didn't rate him that much, as they can afford to pay better wages than us!

Not sure about that, I recall Constantine saying the wages we offered him were unbelievable so I'm sure with Bas being the last resort to our striker hunt we were prepared to throw a few quid at him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here