Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought one of the main reasons that Potter shipped out AK was his off the pitch antics (or rumours of them) and if that is the case I am not sure how Connolly has survived given what was is being said and let's face it AK was a much better player.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought one of the main reasons that Potter shipped out AK was his off the pitch antics (or rumours of them) and if that is the case I am not sure how Connolly has survived given what was is being said and let's face it AK was a much better player.
Not at PL level, he really wasn't. All teams who tried playing him in the PL sooner or later got rid.

It's been said for a while now by many, but if the club weren't sure about this, that loan out to rediscover the form he had in PL2 has now become essential - somewhere at a lower level where he'll score goals for fun and then we can see if he comes back a better player. It should be made very clear to him he's in the last chance saloon though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In my opinion he is now taking the piss out of those who fund his substantial wages.

This latest shenanigans wasn't in his summer break it was during preseason when his focus should be on getting best prepared.

I've moved from the "last chance saloon loan him out' camp to 'Get Rid now with a decent sell on clause'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In my opinion he is now taking the piss out of those who fund his substantial wages.

This latest shenanigans wasn't in his summer break it was during preseason when his focus should be on getting best prepared.

I've moved from the "last chance saloon loan him out' camp to 'Get Rid now with a decent sell on clause'.

In my opinion people have absurd expectations on a 21 year old striker and rather than saying "get rid" should be supporting this young academy product.

As it stands it seems none of us will get what we want though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Isn't this just because he wasn't great last season? Walker and Grealish did far worse, I'm sure we've had players do worse in the recent past

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Isn't this just because he wasn't great last season? Walker and Grealish did far worse, I'm sure we've had players do worse in the recent past

And Yves Bissouma, yet no one is wanting to get rid off him.

People expected the then 20 year old Connolly to score a dozen goals or so. But it sounds so ****ing dumb to expect that from a very young players so they need to find alternate excuses to back up their own ridiculous expectations and lack of understanding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I wasn't aware the club set curfews, control players day offs and insist on a monastic lifestyle.

Thanks for the insight.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And Yves Bissouma, yet no one is wanting to get rid off him.

People expected the then 20 year old Connolly to score a dozen goals or so. But it sounds so ****ing dumb to expect that from a very young players so they need to find alternate excuses to back up their own ridiculous expectations and lack of understanding.

After his goal scoring exploits as PL2 player of the year, and the start of his PL career that looked quite possibe. Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were all tearing holes in PL defences in their teens and scoring freely - could it be that we'd found our own prodigy. Nothing '****ing dumb' about people thinking that, and it's pretty stupid callong them that.

It has since become obvious that although talented, he is no Rooney, Owen or Fowler, and his career has stalled. This is why he needs a loan to get his career moving again - should have happened already, but can't change that. His career is very much at a crossroads; he might be the last one to realise it, but surely that should be getting through to him by now! - he needs to make a loan work for him, get his head down and work hard; otherwise, his few PL goals in the early stages of his career are likely to be the highest highlights he'll ever hit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wasn't aware the club set curfews, control players day offs and insist on a monastic lifestyle.

Thanks for the insight.

Interesting.

Do Alzate, Lamptey, Khadra and Mac Allister live like monks ?

I suspect the answer is 'No'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In my opinion people have absurd expectations on a 21 year old striker and rather than saying "get rid" should be supporting this young academy product.

As it stands it seems none of us will get what we want though.
He'll get support when he shows he wants support :shrug:

It all went wrong when he got his new contract. I guess he thought he'd made it at that point.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
After his goal scoring exploits as PL2 player of the year, and the start of his PL career that looked quite possibe. Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were all tearing holes in PL defences in their teens and scoring freely - could it be that we'd found our own prodigy. Nothing '****ing dumb' about people thinking that, and it's pretty stupid callong them that.

It has since become obvious that although talented, he is no Rooney, Owen or Fowler, and his career has stalled. This is why he needs a loan to get his career moving again - should have happened already, but can't change that. His career is very much at a crossroads; he might be the last one to realise it, but surely that should be getting through to him by now! - he needs to make a loan work for him, get his head down and work hard; otherwise, his few PL goals in the early stages of his career are likely to be the highest highlights he'll ever hit.

Some strikers instantly start scoring lots of goals when they break into the first team. Most do not.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I have seen enough from Connolly for me to think he can make it at this level. The goals he has scored have been very good quality, both in terms of the finishing and the work he put in to get in position for them. Aaron also has a very good work rate, can be a real pain for defenders. There is a lot to like there.

However......We have also seen Connolly miss some absolute sitters, and show a lack of composure in good goal scoring situations. Given what the tabloids are showing us of his off-the-field antics you cannot help but think that his turbulent private life is impacting his confidence and composure on the pitch.

I think Connolly has great potential, but for him to realise that he needs to knuckle down and really concentrate on his football and eliminate other distractions. There is a real danger for him that he could throw it all away.

It's up to Aaron, be the footballer you can be or remain a distracted hothead. I'm not giving up on him yet and I hope he does not either.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have seen enough from Connolly for me to think he can make it at this level. The goals he has scored have been very good quality, both in terms of the finishing and the work he put in to get in position for them. Aaron also has a very good work rate, can be a real pain for defenders. There is a lot to like there.

However......We have also seen Connolly miss some absolute sitters, and show a lack of composure in good goal scoring situations. Given what the tabloids are showing us of his off-the-field antics you cannot help but think that his turbulent private life is impacting his confidence and composure on the pitch.

I think Connolly has great potential, but for him to realise that he needs to knuckle down and really concentrate on his football and eliminate other distractions. There is a real danger for him that he could throw it all away.

It's up to Aaron, be the footballer you can be or remain a distracted hothead. I'm not giving up on him yet and I hope he does not either.

Just needs to enlarge his game. At the moment just consist of running on to a through ball and cutting in from left and shooting. Needs to learn from Vardy who running on to through balls is large part of his game but does so much more all across front line

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He looked as sharp as anyone, against Luton.
If he carries on in that vein, he can do whatever he wants in his spare time.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Exactly. He has the 'potential' to be a very good player.

Don't think he'll ever be a Michael Owen off the pitch with zero blemishes.

More of a Rooney.

Hopefully not a Gazza.

All degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here