Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
James Wilson

I thought James Wilson was ok , not sure if his issue was attitude or health (mental) as his career certainly took a downward trajectory but is that because he couldn't take the pressure or because he thought pissing it up was preferable ? I don't know enough about the lad other than watching him play and score 5 goals for Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought James Wilson was ok , not sure if his issue was attitude or health (mental) as his career certainly took a downward trajectory but is that because he couldn't take the pressure or because he thought pissing it up was preferable ? I don't know enough about the lad other than watching him play and score 5 goals for Brighton.

I seem to recall reading something by a United coach that once he had got promoted to the first team squad he stopped putting the effort in, not that he was out on the town though.

Either way his stock nosedived after his spell here and a subsequent long term injury (I think)

Now at Salford City

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s quite a statement.
I can recall one excellent game in 2019.
He’s been pretty good in a couple of others.
More often than not, he has struggled to make any impact.
He runs around a lot, but that should be a given.
I struggle with the idea he’s a real talent, compared to other young players in the squad.
You don't get to play one excellent game and two pretty good ones in the PL without having a lot of talent! He needs to use that talent regularly, that's the difference - the talent is there.

That's why he needs to go out and play 40 games somewhere, and score 20-25 goals - doesn't matter where. It doesn't have to be the Championship either - League 1 or 2 could provide the experience, then see where we go from there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I seem to recall reading something by a United coach that once he had got promoted to the first team squad he stopped putting the effort in, not that he was out on the town though.

Either way his stock nosedived after his spell here and a subsequent long term injury (I think)

Now at Salford City

Looks like he has been released from Salford. Still only 25 really needs someone to see what the issues are. Looks like his best spell was at Brighton (scored a few more at Salford but at a lower level)....

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You don't get to play one excellent game and two pretty good ones in the PL without having a lot of talent! He needs to use that talent regularly, that's the difference - the talent is there.

That's why he needs to go out and play 40 games somewhere, and score 20-25 goals - doesn't matter where. It doesn't have to be the Championship either - League 1 or 2 could provide the experience, then see where we go from there.

I agree with you about a loan spell.
And if he banged in a load of goals next season it would point to talent .
As it stands - compared to his peers - he has a lot to prove

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
"Yet another"... how many incidents are there? The one where he had sex with someone (breaching covid regulations) and this alleged one. Are there more? What does this "predictable pattern" look like?

Working with young people in Brighton like I do, I regularly hear about him being out on the town and generally being a bit of a bellend. Nothing necessarily awful or illegal, but it's a regular thing, and I don't hear this stuff about any of our other players. He clearly has a bit of an attitude problem and acts like he's already made it, when the reality is he's currently an average Championship level striker at best, with a less than one in ten goalscoring record. Players who chose this path when a young, up and coming footballer rarely go on to be really good ones.

He's a young lad and he needs time to develop as a player, but I don't think the signs are good for him at the moment. I'm sure he'll bang them in for Crawley Town in a few years time though, and he can still strut around the clubs in his stupid clothes telling everyone he's a footballer, so he'll probably be happy enough. Good luck to him, if that's what he wants.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Connolly was the first academy player fast tracked into the first team and will probably be the first to be fast tracked out, the others especially BW and BS have grabbed the opportunity by both hands and excelled. That’s the difference right there. As someone else mentioned a lad from the Swiss second division has effectively took his place.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Connolly was the first academy player fast tracked into the first team and will probably be the first to be fast tracked out, the others especially BW and BS have grabbed the opportunity by both hands and excelled. That’s the difference right there. As someone else mentioned a lad from the Swiss second division has effectively took his place.

commitment and dedication, not only to the club, but to yourself.

Seems Connolly has neglected his.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Send him out on loan somewhere - hopefully he’ll realise that he can’t keep on being a **** if he wants to play at a goof standard. If he succeeds at another club great if he doesn’t wave bye bye.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Sorry but even if he is good enough for the Premier league by behaving the way he has over the last little while he is effectively showing the middle finger at those people at this club who have tried to bring out the best in him. Nuff said

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That’s quite a statement.
I can recall one excellent game in 2019.
He’s been pretty good in a couple of others.
More often than not, he has struggled to make any impact.
He runs around a lot, but that should be a given.
I struggle with the idea he’s a real talent, compared to other young players in the squad.

He scored goals regularly at every youth level and has scored goals in the Premier League - so somewhere in him he has a talent, knack, call it what you like, that isn't given to everyone, including players whose overall games may be better. This season has surely proved the value of such players. We need to do everything we can do see if he still has it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
"Yet another"... how many incidents are there? The one where he had sex with someone (breaching covid regulations) and this alleged one. Are there more? What does this "predictable pattern" look like?

I have heard rumours of and on the last year him clubbing on the seafront at a popular venue and being chucked out. Obviously this is 3rd hand info. But worth mentioning this is from Albion fans.

I don’t want to kill the guy. He’s a young man, he hasn’t committed any crimes. But:

Kind of agree, but this sort of stuff doesn't seem to happen to any of our other players, does it?

This hits the nail on the head.

You have to admit we don’t hear this from Alzate, Tariq Lamptey, Ben White do we?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have heard rumours of and on the last year him clubbing on the seafront at a popular venue and being chucked out. Obviously this is 3rd hand info. But worth mentioning this is from Albion fans.

I don’t want to kill the guy. He’s a young man, he hasn’t committed any crimes. But:

You have to admit we don’t hear this from Alzate, Tariq Lamptey, Ben White do we?

Not really, no. I wouldnt have heard of this latest "thing" either though unless someone was sneaking around watching Instagram videos made by random teenage party girls.

For all I know, Lamptey, White and Alzate could be snorting lines from the arse of Cicciolina.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Not really, no. I wouldnt have heard of this latest "thing" either though unless someone was sneaking around watching Instagram videos made by random teenage party girls.

For all I know, Lamptey, White and Alzate could be snorting lines from the arse of Cicciolina.

Instagram has more than a billion users and everyone has smartphones these days.

If someone does something stupid, the likelihood is that they'll get caught.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Anyway it doesn’t matter what we think ultimately. I’m sure the club will investigate what’s happened here and respond in a fair manner accordingly. If it’s nonsense he could probably even take action against the makers of the video.

You have to remember Swanny, our club has pretty strong values. If any of this story is true he’s out.

As said I don’t want to kill the guy. He’s a dumbass kid. Like most kids are. But for a pro athlete he should look to the example of the likes of Tariq Lamptey who is a similar age and on similar money and we don’t hear anything about him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He scored goals regularly at every youth level and has scored goals in the Premier League - so somewhere in him he has a talent, knack, call it what you like, that isn't given to everyone, including players whose overall games may be better. This season has surely proved the value of such players. We need to do everything we can do see if he still has it.

He’s lucky to have your, and the clubs, support and I hope he appreciates it.
IMO he has had more support, understanding and opportunities than he deserves.
But yeah ,I hope you’re right . A 20+ goal season in the champ changes everything

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
He’s lucky to have your, and the clubs, support and I hope he appreciates it.
IMO he has had more support, understanding and opportunities than he deserves.
But yeah ,I hope you’re right . A 20+ goal season in the champ changes everything
Doesn't change everything for me he still comes across as a w*****

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Anyway it doesn’t matter what we think ultimately. I’m sure the club will investigate what’s happened here and respond in a fair manner accordingly. If it’s nonsense he could probably even take action against the makers of the video.

You have to remember Swanny, our club has pretty strong values. If any of this story is true he’s out.

As said I don’t want to kill the guy. He’s a dumbass kid. Like most kids are. But for a pro athlete he should look to the example of the likes of Tariq Lamptey who is a similar age and on similar money and we don’t hear anything about him.

Those who own and run it appear to yes. They stood by Dunk when he was accused of sexual assault before being cleared by the court a couple of years later. I would expect them to stand by Connolly for this relatively minor instagram allegation, but to look into it for sure and act accordingly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

There are things players at every club that players do that you never hear about. Trust me I could tell you about hundreds of them. Including Brighton players but it is no less prevalent elsewhere either.

In the Grand Scheme of things this isn't the worst. But the lad needs help if anyone thinks thi is acceptable from a Public Figure. Okay he hasn't shot puppies but going unchecked without consequences sends the wrong signal to society.

I truly wish this hadn't been played out in Public and shipping him out isn't the answer. The lad needs help. Not Demonisation..

Draw a line under this but get him some help on how to respect women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here