Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Having a girlfriend didn’t seem to settle him down last time

*allegedly*

Didn't do anything to help Shane Duffy keep his Pecker in his pants either.

This isn't about Aaron being a footballer.

People with money and or fame think that it can buy the the right to speak to women how they like.

The terminology " No means No " in terms of sexual harassment. Someone needs to tell these wealthy people " **** Off " also means No .

Men shouldn't be speaking to women the way they do sometimes. These women are some people's mother's, daughters, sisters, friends or relatives.

If you wouldn't want your mother, sister or daughter spoken to in a particular manner then you should refrain from speaking to someone else's mother, sister or daughter in that manner. There is no defense for it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Although there seems to be two different viewpoints on the situation, surely no one can argue with the fact that at this stage of his career, it would be far better for him to be seen to be knuckling down and focussing on improving his skills.
Whether there is any truth in these accusations or not, the simple fact is he was undoubtedly found to be flouting the covid rules during a season where he has ( at best) stagnated professionally.
This alone will be enough to mark his card for the club and many fans. ( I have been more disappointed with AC's form this season than Maupay's).

However if he comes out of the traps scoring for fun, in August, then none of us will give a **** what he gets up to in his own time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Lots of fifty plussers here interpreting some stranger teenage girls instagram videos as absolute truths so that they can keep up their schoolyard bully behaviour.

Not surprised quite a lot of you guys are completely alien to the idea that some people develop psychologically and become more mature as they get older.

Give me a break. If he wasn't taught how to have respect for women by his own mother or sisters then he needs to be taught it now. He is not an adolescent teenager. He is a grown man

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Im not going to join a mob trial based on little to no evidence, at least so far. Lets see if anything emerges. Obviously i hope this is over stated, if not then it’s shameful.

He desperately needs a spell in the championship regardless though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Difficult to conclude what went on as there are two sides and we have only heard one.

However why does he keep putting himself in these situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lots of promise has just fizzled out imo. SEEMS to be another who lets his personal life affect his football.

He could certainly do with a bit of emotional intelligence

I have no doubt Potter will do what’s best for Aaron and the Club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't do anything to help Shane Duffy keep his Pecker in his pants either.

This isn't about Aaron being a footballer.

People with money and or fame think that it can buy the the right to speak to women how they like.

The terminology " No means No " in terms of sexual harassment. Someone needs to tell these wealthy people " **** Off " also means No .

Men shouldn't be speaking to women the way they do sometimes. These women are some people's mother's, daughters, sisters, friends or relatives.

If you wouldn't want your mother, sister or daughter spoken to in a particular manner then you should refrain from speaking to someone else's mother, sister or daughter in that manner. There is no defense for it.

This

Give me a break. If he wasn't taught how to have respect for women by his own mother or sisters then he needs to be taught it now. He is not an adolescent teenager. He is a grown man

And this.

:thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Im not going to join a mob trial based on little to no evidence, at least so far. Lets see if anything emerges. Obviously i hope this is over stated, if not then it’s shameful.

This. This thread has been nasty for a good while and its reaching another level now. Its unacceptable.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
I hope none of this is true...but sadly think there's probably some truth to it.

Connolly needs bringing down a peg or 2. Was so talented in the u23s and the hype surrounding him as he jumped straight to Premier League football and got those goals v Tottenham.

As so many have said, season in the Championship needed, he needs to fall in love with scoring goals again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Kind of agree, but this sort of stuff doesn't seem to happen to any of our other players, does it?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think most people aren't commenting but like myself noting that noise does seem to follow him around.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
DThis isn't about Aaron being a footballer.

I agree - and the surprising thing is that some posters on this forum seem to believe that this type of behaviour is acceptable - its just 'lads being lads' bullsh*t. It's not - it's a reflection of the misogyny that is all too prevalent in society.

Connolly wouldn't be the first footballer to blow a career and, if he does, he won't be the last.

A couple of years ago, to much criticism on here, I suggested that Connolly was fifth in a line of young Irish strikers - behind Parrott, Idah, Obafemi and Afolabi - and while he jumped ahead of some of them because of circumstances, he is now hurtling back to the bottom of the pile (indeed falling behind others who are coming through the underage). The difference is attitude.

Last night Ireland played Andorra and were absolute sh*te for an hour - until Troy Parrott took the game by the scruff of the neck, scored two goals and created a third. In one game he has done more and shown more maturity in an Irish jersey than Connolly has done in two years. Adam Idah came on last night and caused a lot of problems - a player who suffered repeated injury this season, but put his head down, worked hard and got his fitness back. Obafemi was heading down the same route as Connelly, and was criticised for his attitude by Hasenhuttl, suffered an injury but was brought back into the Southampton squad in recent weeks because he knuckled down and worked hard. Afolabi has been crippled with injuries at Celtic and is now trying to regain his fitness on loan at Dundee.

Connolly isn't with the Irish squad at the moment because he is injured - and if he is injured then he should be working his butt off to rehab from the injury. The difference in attitude between the other four and Connolly is glaring. The problem for Connolly is that other young Irish strikers are snapping at his heals looking for his spot in the squad - Ryan Cassidy at Watford, Ademipo Odubeko at West Ham, Ethon Varian at Stoke, Festy Ebosele at Derby, George Nunn at Chelsea, Conor Noss at Munchengladbach, Thomas Cannon at Everton. All of these kids are just as talented as Connolly and all of them will be chomping at the bit to get into the Irish squad. If Connolly starts dropping down the pecking order in what is a very poor Irish team at the moment, there there is little hope of him making it as a PL footballer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree - and the surprising thing is that some posters on this forum seem to believe that this type of behaviour is acceptable - its just 'lads being lads' bullsh*t. It's not - it's a reflection of the misogyny that is all too prevalent in society.

Connolly wouldn't be the first footballer to blow a career and, if he does, he won't be the last.

*essay on Phil Babb, Gary Doherty and Kevin Kilbane*.

I dont think anyone believes misogynist stuff is okey but we know nothing about the situation other than what some clearly attention seeking person claims in some Instagram video. Some posters on this forum seem to believe it without any need for evidence or further explanations. Because they dont like Aaron Connolly. If some random person started talking about Lewis Dunk, Jakob Moder or some other appreciated player, reactions would have been entirely different. But people want to believe the worst about Aaron, its clear and obvious.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Some posters on this forum seem to believe it without any need for evidence or further explanations. Because they dont like Aaron Connolly. If some random person started talking about Lewis Dunk, Jakob Moder or some other appreciated player, reactions would have been entirely different. But people want to believe the worst about Aaron, its clear and obvious.

I think the key difference is that had it been about another player it would seem entirely out of character and somewhat hard to believe. With AC it seems to be yet another incident in what is becoming an all too predictable pattern.

As others have said, this stuff seems to follow him around in a way that it doesn't with our other younger squad members. Maybe he's just unlucky or maybe he needs to reflect on his priorities, attitude and decisions when he's out enjoying himself?

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I hope none of this is true...but sadly think there's probably some truth to it.

Connolly needs bringing down a peg or 2. Was so talented in the u23s and the hype surrounding him as he jumped straight to Premier League football and got those goals v Tottenham.

As so many have said, season in the Championship needed, he needs to fall in love with scoring goals again.

He also needs to be reminded that it was being good at football that brought him money and a high profile. That can all disappear very quickly.

I believe there are people at the club who can sit him down and talk some sense to him. I assume they will already have tried, and will try again, but with warnings of what will happen if he doesn't direct his energies in a more positive direction.

Once again, I believe there's real talent there and it will be desperately sad if it remains unfulfilled. .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the key difference is that had it been about another player it would seem entirely out of character and somewhat hard to believe. With AC it seems to be yet another incident in what is becoming an all too predictable pattern.

As others have said, this stuff seems to follow him around in a way that it doesn't with our other younger squad members. Maybe he's just unlucky or maybe he needs to reflect on his priorities, attitude and decisions when he's out enjoying himself?

"Yet another"... how many incidents are there? The one where he had sex with someone (breaching covid regulations) and this alleged one. Are there more? What does this "predictable pattern" look like?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He also needs to be reminded that it was being good at football that brought him money and a high profile. That can all disappear very quickly.

I believe there are people at the club who can sit him down and talk some sense to him. I assume they will already have tried, and will try again, but with warnings of what will happen if he doesn't direct his energies in a more positive direction.

Once again, I believe there's real talent there and it will be desperately sad if it remains unfulfilled. .

James Wilson

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wasn’t there a ‘to do’ involving Maupay, Ryan and Connolly during the season?

Well, to be fair, I can't see any of them taking on Dunk, Webster or Burn

imagen_1_1432784192.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

That’s quite a statement.
I can recall one excellent game in 2019.
He’s been pretty good in a couple of others.
More often than not, he has struggled to make any impact.
He runs around a lot, but that should be a given.
I struggle with the idea he’s a real talent, compared to other young players in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here