Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa

I know what you're going to say "but he's only 21!". 21 is not a kid. Mac Allister, Moder and Alzate have been playing considerably better at the same age, with none of the reports of unprofessionalism that comes with it.

Have to say this is a very fair point.

Ditto Lamptey as well.

How is this a very fair point? Mac Allister has struggled to make the starting eleven, Alzate has shown no form this season. Only Moder has done alright in the handful of games he has played, without the pressure to be a goalscorer in the Premier League. Have they really been considerably better?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You're boring mate, piss off. To me, a fan, those games were a must win to keep our place in the PL. To you, a neutral, results don't matter as you'll be supporting the manager, no matter which team the he's in charge of. One more time and I'll report your posts for harassment.

Hands down the saddest post I've seen on here in a long while, well done.

'I'll report your post for harrassment' :lolol:

What a gimp.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You're boring mate, piss off. To me, a fan, those games were a must win to keep our place in the PL. To you, a neutral, results don't matter as you'll be supporting the manager, no matter which team the he's in charge of. One more time and I'll report your posts for harassment.

:facepalm:
Made yourself look daft with this post.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa

I know what you're going to say "but he's only 21!". 21 is not a kid. Mac Allister, Moder and Alzate have been playing considerably better at the same age, with none of the reports of unprofessionalism that comes with it.

How is this a very fair point? Mac Allister has struggled to make the starting eleven, Alzate has shown no form this season. Only Moder has done alright in the handful of games he has played, without the pressure to be a goalscorer in the Premier League. Have they really been considerably better?

MacAllister, Alzate, Moder and Lamptey have all had very good to excellent games this season though and, as I said it’s a fair point, have had no off field problems.

Lamptey was virtually unplayable and looking world class prior to his injury. Moder has played in numerous positions and has delivered consistently good performances setting up chances. Alzate and MacAllister haven’t had guaranteed spots but they have both had some standout performances and played key parts in goals. Anfield and Leeds immediately come to mind. The only game I can remember Aaron delivering in was the Newcastle 3-0.

Now I want Connolly to succeed here, and do not post any hate towards him, he’s a young man learning his trade. Hopefully he will come good again next season. But it’s a poor excuse to keep saying “but he’s only 21” when all of the above players are that age or younger and had no such problems on and off the pitch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
MacAllister, Alzate, Moder and Lamptey have all had very good to excellent games this season though and, as I said it’s a fair point, have had no off field problems.

Lamptey was virtually unplayable and looking world class prior to his injury. Moder has played in numerous positions and has delivered consistently good performances setting up chances. Alzate and MacAllister haven’t had guaranteed spots but they have both had some standout performances and played key parts in goals. Anfield and Leeds immediately come to mind. The only game I can remember Aaron delivering in was the Newcastle 3-0.

Now I want Connolly to succeed here, and do not post any hate towards him, he’s a young man learning his trade. Hopefully he will come good again next season. But it’s a poor excuse to keep saying “but he’s only 21” when all of the above players are that age or younger and had no such problems on and off the pitch.

According to? Do you know these guys?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well have you heard any tabloid stories about Moder, MacAllister, Alzate? Lamptey?

If any of them were flouting lockdown rules the press would love to report it.

No but tabloids are not all-seeing all-knowing entities, there's lots and lots of things going on in the lives of everyone (including footballers) that the public will never be aware of. Everyone makes mistaks and does stupid things, especially in those years. Gets too drunk, end up in the wrong bed, hug their grandmas, all kinds of these-days-evils... its a part of life. They are humans, not saints. Some shit ends up in tabloids, that doesnt make someone a poor human, some shit does not end up in tabloids, that doesnt make anyone a flawless human.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No but tabloids are not all-seeing all-knowing entities, there's lots and lots of things going on in the lives of everyone (including footballers) that the public will never be aware of. Everyone makes mistaks and does stupid things, especially in those years. Gets too drunk, end up in the wrong bed, hug their grandmas, all kinds of these-days-evils... its a part of life. They are humans, not saints. Some shit ends up in tabloids, that doesnt make someone a poor human, some shit does not end up in tabloids, that doesnt make anyone a flawless human.

I don't know what the tabloids are like in Sweden but here they are about the closest thing you will get to an all-knowing entity when it comes to "famous" and there are no shortage of jilted girlfriends, kiss and tell one night stands, smart phone grasses and paparazzi all out to make a name for themselves and sell a story for just a few quid. Tag the prefix "Premier League footballer" on to the name and you can print it on the front page and go back for round two next week.

We live in a country (well, I do, you don't) where editors can be involved in hacking the phones of child murder victims and their families and get a prime time job on national TV.

And, guess what, in the Premier League era our only two transgressors have been Duffy and Connolly.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Quite and I agree. I’m sure the club have dealt with him accordingly and we move on. But it’s not a great look either and it’s a factor of us assessing him, as I’m sure it cost him game time.

My main issue though is on the pitch, and he has been found wanting this season in my humble opinion. Whereas the other “they’re only 21” players have performed pretty damn well when selected.

Personally I hope he gets a very good competitive loan somewhere next season, SPL or Holland or such.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't know what the tabloids are like in Sweden but here they are about the closest thing you will get to an all-knowing entity when it comes to "famous" and there are no shortage of jilted girlfriends, kiss and tell one night stands, smart phone grasses and paparazzi all out to make a name for themselves and sell a story for just a few quid. Tag the prefix "Premier League footballer" on to the name and you can print it on the front page and go back for round two next week.

We live in a country (well, I do, you don't) where editors can be involved in hacking the phones of child murder victims and their families and get a prime time job on national TV.

And, guess what, in the Premier League era our only two transgressors have been Duffy and Connolly.

Of course, I am aware of the tabloid situation in England. However this doesnt mean that they catch everything, and even when they do its not always the full (often - in its complete version - less scandalous) story that gets told.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Have to say this is a very fair point.

Ditto Lamptey as well.

But Lamptey has not played over half the season because he is injured. Not sure if there is more wrong with Connolly other than the big ego that people label him with. Personally think he does need to prove himself but really don't think he is as bad as some people make out. There is a fine line between success and failure as a club in the top echelons that also applies to players.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I couldn't care less. The sensitive lot are reporting my posts for being harmful and abusive. It works both ways, pal.

Tit

More likely they're being reported for being utter tosh. Which, based on the evidence to hand, I'd say they are.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I only judge Connelly with what he does on field. Do hope I am wrong but think he will also struggle in lower divisions. My biggest concern is the very little he contributes to all round play, Apart from falling over he just looks for ball over the top and coming in from left to curl the ball in. Not happy with goals missed by Maupay but with his movement is hard to mark and helps he is two footed.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I only judge Connelly with what he does on field. Do hope I am wrong but think he will also struggle in lower divisions. My biggest concern is the very little he contributes to all round play, Apart from falling over he just looks for ball over the top and coming in from left to curl the ball in. Not happy with goals missed by Maupay but with his movement is hard to mark and helps he is two footed.
It looks more like you are only judging Connolly (two 'o's by the way) by what he does on the ball, not what he does on the field. Makes good runs, harries defenders, makes himself a real pest to play against.

Needs that loan to recover that goal-scoring mojo that made him the PL2 player of the year on 2018. the player of the year, ahead of all the competition, mind, not just nominated for it. That needs to be a bit special - not League 1 or 2 fodder by a long chalk!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry, but I don't really buy into this "he's a real pest to play against" mantra, which is seemingly voiced as a counterbalance to the fact he couldn't hit the side of a barge if he was standing on the dock next to it.

Premier League defenders deal with him quite comfortably from what I've seen. He'll run the channels, then at a breath of wind he'll fall over. Whats so hard about dealing with that ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, but I don't really buy into this "he's a real pest to play against" mantra, which is seemingly voiced as a counterbalance to the fact he couldn't hit the side of a barge if he was standing on the dock next to it.

Premier League defenders deal with him quite comfortably from what I've seen. He'll run the channels, then at a breath of wind he'll fall over. Whats so hard about dealing with that ?
I take it you're speaking from experience?

.......... or perhaps not ............

Two years ago some very good young players in PL2 found it very difficult indeed. And he smashed an awful lot of barges too!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I take it you're speaking from experience?

.......... or perhaps not ............

Two years ago some very good young players in PL2 found it very difficult indeed. And he smashed an awful lot of barges too!

I'm speaking from experience of watching him for the last couple of years, and I've seen precious little progress. I'm sure there'll be someone along in a minute to tell me he's only a baby, and he'll be Harry Kane in 2-3 years time, but so far - I ain't seeing it.

Would be absolutely thrilled to be proved wrong. But BHA have never, in their history, produced a decent striker. Connolly looks like another Jake Robinson to me, just with highlights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here