Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I desperately want Connolly to succeed at the Albion, and I'm not sure everybody feels the same.

We have a player of talent here (okay, and some difficulties attitude-wise) and yet we risk destroying his confidence with negativity. A home-grown goalscorer is the hardest thing for almost any club to produce and he's close to becoming that. He works hard, he's fast and he gets in the right positions to miss, and that's more than half the battle. The rest may come, it may not, but surely we've got to support this guy as much as we can.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That is an abysmal return for a striker, regardless of age.

Maupay has had a very poor season too.

Its not fantastic. The "regardless of age" thing is obviously nuts but you have been very vocal in your hatred against Connolly, so its not surprising.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I desperately want Connolly to succeed at the Albion, and I'm not sure everybody feels the same.

We have a player of talent here (okay, and some difficulties attitude-wise) and yet we risk destroying his confidence with negativity. A home-grown goalscorer is the hardest thing for almost any club to produce and he's close to becoming that. He works hard, he's fast and he gets in the right positions to miss, and that's more than half the battle. The rest may come, it may not, but surely we've got to support this guy as much as we can.

Indeed. Very tired of the amount of shit this guy gets. Its pathetic to see.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
People keep saying this, but where does it come from?

When Potter took over from Hughton he had planned sending Connolly out on loan - Connolly went to Potter and said he wanted to stay and after David Weir saw Connolly playing for the Irish U21s at a tournament in France he persuaded Potter to drop the loan plan. The reality is that it probably would have been a good idea for him to go to the Championship two years ago - Hughton had sent him to Luton in L1 after he recovered from injury and he couldn't get into the Luton team.

I think Connolly would resist going on loan at this stage given that he has played in the PL for two seasons - but it is clear, he still has some maturing to do (it must be remembered that he is still only 21). The guy has a lot of potential and if the club adopt the right approach to dealing with him (and I don't know what that is) he has every chance of being a really good PL player.

As an aside - I still giggle when I remember that howling on here that Hughton should have played Connolly two years ago instead of sending him out to Luton.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Really hope Connolly comes back stronger and more professional... but I can't see it myself. I confidently predict that he won't ever cut it at this level.

Connolly is in the Irish squad that is heading to Spain for a training camp this week. They will be playing Andorra in Barcelona on 3 June and Hungary in Budapest five days later. The change of scenery could do Connolly the world of good, away from the glare of Brighton and the PL. Duffy and Molumby are also in the squad. The Irish squad is largely made up of younger players (including Jason Knight) - so he will not be under any pressure in the two friendlies and will likely start both of them. He will however be pushed by the likes of Jamie McGrath, Ronan Curtis, Adam Idah, Troy Parrott and Chiedozie Ogbene.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Connolly is in the Irish squad that is heading to Spain for a training camp this week. They will be playing Andorra in Barcelona on 3 June and Hungary in Budapest five days later. The change of scenery could do Connolly the world of good, away from the glare of Brighton and the PL. Duffy and Molumby are also in the squad. The Irish squad is largely made up of younger players (including Jason Knight) - so he will not be under any pressure in the two friendlies and will likely start both of them. He will however be pushed by the likes of Jamie McGrath, Ronan Curtis, Adam Idah, Troy Parrott and Chiedozie Ogbene.

I’m sure I read that he is injured and has pulled out for this.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
"Hatred" - a bit strong! I don't even dislike him, I don't know him - but I certainly don't rate him at all as a footballer. He's been the outstanding poor performer in numerous games now. He's also been poor for his international team.

I just want the best for the Albion. When players demonstrate they aren't good enough then they rightly deserve criticism - Connolly has demonstrated this through both his performances and his off the field antics.

I know what you're going to say "but he's only 21!". 21 is not a kid. Mac Allister, Moder and Alzate have been playing considerably better at the same age, with none of the reports of unprofessionalism that comes with it.

Really hope Connolly comes back stronger and more professional... but I can't see it myself. I confidently predict that he won't ever cut it at this level.

You've really shown your true colours now. Firstly he hasn't even played numerous games, let alone been an outstanding poor performer.Players don't rightly deserve criticism just because in your opinion they aren't good enough. Other points of view are also available.

Why do you think people say he's only 21? It's because he's only 21 - not even full grown yet! It's the toughest League in the world and scoring goals is the toughest job in football. Mac Allister has far more top level experience than Connolly but has been no better or consistent. Alzate even less so. Moder has done better so far in a handful of games, but when you aren't being expected to take every goal opportunity, the job is a damn sight easier.

Poor for his international team? Like Albion, he's only just started playing for them and only made his full Irish debut this season. How the hell do you form a judgement after a few games for Ireland and a few games in the Premier League.

Why do you think conducting a critical witch hunt on NSC against one of our promising youngsters is wanting only the best for Albion? It certainly doesn't look like it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You've really shown your true colours now. Firstly he hasn't even played numerous games, let alone been an outstanding poor performer.Players don't rightly deserve criticism just because in your opinion they aren't good enough. Other points of view are also available.

Why do you think people say he's only 21? It's because he's only 21 - not even full grown yet! It's the toughest League in the world and scoring goals is the toughest job in football. Mac Allister has far more top level experience than Connolly but has been no better or consistent. Alzate even less so. Moder has done better so far in a handful of games, but when you aren't being expected to take every goal opportunity, the job is a damn sight easier.

Poor for his international team? Like Albion, he's only just started playing for them and only made his full Irish debut this season. How the hell do you form a judgement after a few games for Ireland and a few games in the Premier League.

Why do you think conducting a critical witch hunt on NSC against one of our promising youngsters is wanting only the best for Albion? It certainly doesn't look like it.

I’m not sure there is a witch hunt. I’m sure Aaron is as frustrated as the rest of us. He has to decide whether he can best fulfill his potential with occasional appearances for the Albion or on loan somewhere else.

As every BHA fan wants all our players to do well, naturally - it doesn’t necessarily mean that they all will make the grade at the highest level. Perhaps Connolly will come good? Perhaps not? But being a bit part player with us next season, can’t be good for the player or the club. I would like to see him in the Championship. Who knows if he is tearing up the league we could bring him back in January if needed?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Surely a must-win-your-confidence situation.

You're boring mate, piss off. To me, a fan, those games were a must win to keep our place in the PL. To you, a neutral, results don't matter as you'll be supporting the manager, no matter which team the he's in charge of. One more time and I'll report your posts for harassment.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
You're boring mate, piss off. To me, a fan, those games were a must win to keep our place in the PL. To you, a neutral, results don't matter as you'll be supporting the manager, no matter which team the he's in charge of. One more time and I'll report your posts for harassment.

Report a post for harrassment? How old are you? You was abusive to him in your opening sentence..

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I know what you're going to say "but he's only 21!". 21 is not a kid. Mac Allister, Moder and Alzate have been playing considerably better at the same age, with none of the reports of unprofessionalism that comes with it.

Have to say this is a very fair point.

Ditto Lamptey as well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Okay but in reality "those games" (like 75% of them) are not must win games to stay up in PL. One month ago, with Brighton 7 points ahead of Fulham with five games to go, you posted "We're relegated". You dont have any connection to reality whatsoever, making you a pretty fun fella.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Welbeck - one goal every 258 minutes
Maupay - one goal every 315 minutes
Connolly - one goal every 395 minutes

Welbeck is 10 years older (10 years of training and playing), Maupay is 4 years older (4 years of training and playing). 395 minutes per goal is fine for a PL player who turned 21 this year. I dont know how many goals you expect him to score in 790 minutes of play time.

There's a few penalties for Maupay there which makes his stats a bit better or worse if you take that in account.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

:nono:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's a few penalties for Maupay there which makes his stats a bit better or worse if you take that in account.

Yes. Dont think they should be counted out though... scoring penalties is not necessarily easy, as we've seen...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here