Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Connolly 17 P/L appearances 2 goals age 21. Developed by the club.
Kai Havertz 25 P/L appearances 4 goals age 21. Cost gazillions.

Chelsea stuck by their man and got their reward in the Champions League.
I think Albion will stick with young Aaron and get their reward next season. He's had his pressure breakthrough season, first games in the P/L, International breakthrough, Prem League goals and yes, his moment in The Sun.

Am I comparing Havertz and Connolly, well yes, just a bit. By all accounts, Havertz has underperformed against his fee and Connolly against expectations.

But give Connolly fitness and a good pre-season and I think we could see the player we all want to see, with Albion, in the Premier League.

Aside from talent I believe attitude, temperament and professionalism provide a better comparison, given they are the same age.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Connolly 17 P/L appearances 2 goals age 21. Developed by the club.
Kai Havertz 25 P/L appearances 4 goals age 21. Cost gazillions.

Chelsea stuck by their man and got their reward in the Champions League.
I think Albion will stick with young Aaron and get their reward next season. He's had his pressure breakthrough season, first games in the P/L, International breakthrough, Prem League goals and yes, his moment in The Sun.

Am I comparing Havertz and Connolly, well yes, just a bit. By all accounts, Havertz has underperformed against his fee and Connolly against expectations.

But give Connolly fitness and a good pre-season and I think we could see the player we all want to see, with Albion, in the Premier League.

Conveniently ignoring the 100+ appearances and 30+ goals Havertz had in the Bundesliga.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unfortunately it looks like Connolly is constantly breaking our ‘no dickheads’ policy with his off the field antics!
He's definitely my "least favourite" albion player.

Needs to keep his head down and put in some graft after his covid-busting tabloid worthy antics.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The club were too busy worrying about knocking out stories about how wonderful the academy was than the welfare of Connolly, who really needed a loan spell rather than the expectancy of leading the line in the Premier League.

I notice he's on the piss in London this weekend while ruled out of international duty with yet another 'injury'.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Apparently Connolly rejected the idea of going out on loan

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Apparently Connolly rejected the idea of going out on loan

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

If that’s the case then he and or his agent have done him a disservice. It’s a shame that some young players don’t see the bigger picture, or is it arrogance? He is still young and has plenty of years in front of him to develop into a decent player. OK, he had a good start scoring goals, but I remember Brian Wade looking like he might be the Messiah (although he was a bit older).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Connelly as a footballer is not just about goals. Aside from this he contributes very little

Very true. The age of the forward up front saving all his energy for short sprints and goal scoring has long gone. I’m not sure that players like Tony Cottee would be able to develop in today’s world.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People keep saying this, but where does it come from?

From 2 years ago, when Potter first arrived. Allegedly, Connolly persuaded the club to let him stay, scored 2 goals against Spurs and it looked like the right decision at the time.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17933326.amp/

Graham Potter calls Aaron Connolly a “determined little so-and-so”.

He still recalls the first taste he had of that trait this summer.

Connolly told the new head coach that, at 19, he would rather fight for a Premier League place with Albion than go out on loan.

Thats all? Two years ago Aaron said he'd like to try to fight for game time in the Premier League and people use it as some kind of evidence that he believes he is "all that" and has a poor attitude.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Thats all? Two years ago Aaron said he'd like to try to fight for game time in the Premier League and people use it as some kind of evidence that he believes he is "all that" and has a poor attitude.

Most fans would not begrudge him having a go at the time and hindsight is a wonderful thing but 2 years on a loan now looks the best option for him. He needs regular games with less pressure to rebuild his confidence and the PL does not afford you that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most fans would not begrudge him having a go at the time and hindsight is a wonderful thing but 2 years on a loan now looks the best option for him. He needs regular games with less pressure to rebuild his confidence and the PL does not afford you that.

Yes a loan would be good and him saying he didnt want it two years ago doesnt mean he wouldnt agree to go now.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Yes a loan would be good and him saying he didnt want it two years ago doesnt mean he wouldnt agree to go now.

Who is saying he would turn it down?

All it shows is the club was probably right at the time but you can’t blame a player high in confidence for wanting to have a go as I said in my post hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You’re comparing Connolly to Kai Hevertz?!! Ha ha ha ha, that is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on here.

And totally nonsensical. Clearly you don’t watch the Bundesliga as Havertz has been a proven top level player for more than 3 years.

Your comments and raucous laughter only emphasise my point. Both had a difficult first season in the Premier League.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You should probably drop this comparison, as it is ridiculous. The expectations are completely different.

Havertz was expected to be a top scorer for a top 4 Premier League team.

Connolly has little or no expectations from us - merely put in some decent performances and chip in with a goal every now and again... which, unfortunately, he has failed to do.

Welbeck - one goal every 258 minutes
Maupay - one goal every 315 minutes
Connolly - one goal every 395 minutes

Welbeck is 10 years older (10 years of training and playing), Maupay is 4 years older (4 years of training and playing). 395 minutes per goal is fine for a PL player who turned 21 this year. I dont know how many goals you expect him to score in 790 minutes of play time.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You should probably drop this comparison, as it is ridiculous. The expectations are completely different.

Havertz was expected to be a top scorer for a top 4 Premier League team.

Connolly has little or no expectations from us - merely put in some decent performances and chip in with a goal every now and again... which, unfortunately, he has failed to do.

"Chip in with a goal every now and again" - he's has done that. Trouble is, what was required was "regularly".

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welbeck - one goal every 258 minutes
Maupay - one goal every 315 minutes
Connolly - one goal every 395 minutes

Welbeck is 10 years older (10 years of training and playing), Maupay is 4 years older (4 years of training and playing). 395 minutes per goal is fine for a PL player who turned 21 this year. I dont know how many goals you expect him to score in 790 minutes of play time.
Nketiah is a good comparison.

One goal every 207 minutes.

Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here