Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We were much better with him in the side yesterday thats for sure.

The team was better after Jahanbakhsh had been taken off, perhaps .........................?

The fact that Connolly hasn't played as much this season, the fact that GP hasn't, for instance, picked him to give an out of form Maupay a break - still leads me to the conclusion this season hasn't been a good one for him.
I still think there's a good player in there. If we loan him out, I'll be delighted and will follow his progress with interest; if we sell him, I'll be disappointed; if we keep him as a frustrated bench-warmer, I don't think the outcome will be the best.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think AC is a more instinctive finisher than NM . . . . I'm sure if he'd been given the run NM had he'd have scored as many.

he needs to learn to stay on his feet and toughen up against better defenders.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He needs far more game time to develop and/or prove himself, but we haven't had the luxury of being able to give him that game time...........bit of a catch 22 really, and if that's going to continue (nothing so far has really indicated he's close to being in the starting XI) he might benefit from a loan spell where he's going to be 'guaranteed' plenty of time on the pitch - benchwarming is doing nothing for him longer term and a repeat of this season won't do him or us any favours. If Maupay and Welbeck had both been available I doubt he'd have got near the pitch yesterday.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The team was better after Jahanbakhsh had been taken off, perhaps .........................?

The fact that Connolly hasn't played as much this season, the fact that GP hasn't, for instance, picked him to give an out of form Maupay a break - still leads me to the conclusion this season hasn't been a good one for him.
I still think there's a good player in there. If we loan him out, I'll be delighted and will follow his progress with interest; if we sell him, I'll be disappointed; if we keep him as a frustrated bench-warmer, I don't think the outcome will be the best.

I genuinely don't think Potter fancies him. Clearly he'd rather play all the other strikers and even a false 9 ahead of him. People can be a bit precious about some of our players. He hasn't offered a great deal and desperately needs more game time to improve. A loan or flogging him the only outcomes this summer IMHO.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Should have gone out on loan last season - I think there were quite a few of us thinking that a loan was what was needed at the time (plus the usual 'he's shit, get rid of' squad).

Agreed, that's kinda what I'm saying. The only reasons I can see him going on loan were a) he refused (according to some people) b) we didn't get the main striker target(s) we were interested in and (linked) c) Potter and co rated him higher than taking a punt on someone who wasn't on the original list of targets.

So yes, in the ideal world, it probably WAS what he needed. If we're looking for positives to counter the negatives of not playing, it's that he's been in and around the first team and the likes of Welbeck so has hopefully learned something.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Is that a replacement that might get us five places further up the league, and earn us lots more money in the process and attract other players too?

Yeah, they might but there's no guarantees. They could be another Locadia/Ali J.

It's up to the club to assess what's more likely; that Connoly comes good or that we can find a striker within our budget that can contribute right away.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed, that's kinda what I'm saying. The only reasons I can see him going on loan were a) he refused (according to some people) b) we didn't get the main striker target(s) we were interested in and (linked) c) Potter and co rated him higher than taking a punt on someone who wasn't on the original list of targets.

So yes, in the ideal world, it probably WAS what he needed. If we're looking for positives to counter the negatives of not playing, it's that he's been in and around the first team and the likes of Welbeck so has hopefully learned something.

And in the spirit of agreeing, I'd say yes to that - and that now is the time for him to go out and put that into practice. Preferably on loan - I would be reluctant at this stage to let his talent and potential depart the club altogether.
IF there's any truth in those rumours that he refused to go out on loan this season, then he needs to be reminded very firmly who is paying his (not inconsiderable) wages, and who gets to decide whether he goes on loan (and if he needs a clue about the latter - it's not him!!)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Always been my opinion he isn't big/physical enough to play at this level. Speed and smarts yes but you wouldn't put him against Dunk for example.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A bit of perspective:

Connolly is 21. He has played ninety minutes only twice in the EPL this season. He has also scored twice. He is one of 29 players who are 21 or under to have scored a goal in the league this year. In that list, he is joint ninth behind:

P Foden 9
J Willock 8
F Torres 7
M Greenwood 7
P Neto 5
B Saka 5
F Silva 4
K Havertz 4

and level with:

G Martinelli 2
E Smith Rowe 2
C Hudson Odoi 2
J Bogle 2
D Mc Neill 2
C Gallagher 2
E Nketiah 2

Of the players on that list, only Eddie Nketiah has played less minutes than Aaron Connolly. Now, there's no doubt that Aaron has some issues in his game and needs to keep improving, but if we had any of the players above who are in his peer group, would any of us be writing him off & proposing that we sell them, or loan them to the Championship? In Aaron's case the latter maybe a good idea if we have strength up front and he could go somewhere that guarantees him playing time to develop, but the former would be a bit silly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've read a few comments on here that are so completely misjudged.

Age. He is 21. Just 21. The same posters writing off Connolly as useless are presumably the same ones that said the same about Solly March? A player that arguably was a potential player of the season until he got injured.

Position A striker is the hardest position to forge a career in the Premier League. You are judged on goals and goals alone. In modern day football you don't start the season up front as part of two strikers and know you'll hold that position like the days of Nelson/Bremner, Ward/Mellor or Byrne/Small. It is therefore very very hard to find a rhythm and gain experience. Especially in the top flight. Ask yourself whether the Glenn Murray that joined us from Rochdale (by then he was 24 by the way) would have come into a premier league side and started scoring goals. I doubt it. He needed a good run at a lower level. He needed to mature. He needed people to stop slagging him off and calling him lazy. He needed time! In hindsight Connolly should have gone out on loan to a league one or Championship side this season but you can understand why that didn't happen as start of the season attacking options looked limited.

Attitude Yes he does come across as having a bit of an attitude. But again what 21 earning the money he does, with the opportunities and spare time on his hands would not do some of the things he has done? Plenty of 21 year olds have never worked at his age, have certainly never been under the spotlight he has and had grown men like me typing about him on a public forum. It must be very difficult to deal with. And I assume he is some distance from his family.

So he may not make it, but personally I'd much rather have a home grown, young player having a real go at doing something great for us than a journeyman seeing out the last days of his career. You need a bit of the latter to help these young guys but I'd hate to go the Palace route and have so little young talent. We should be getting behind the younger guys. Developing them is the only way we can compete in this league long time so just get off his back.

EDIT: I forgot Size Connolly is 5ft 9. Michael Owen is 5ft 8. Jamie Vardy is only 5ft 10. Height is not an issue if his all round game is good enough. Irrelevant.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't remember his exact age but Harry Kane wasn't knocking the goals in for Spurs aged 18. I have a feeling he was more like 21 when he finally got in the team, admittedly after a few loan spells, some more successful than others.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Seems to be the standard reaction from football fans.. They're either good or shit, there's no in between.

Connolly has potential but right now, is not good enough. He needs minutes, either Potter needs to give him more game time or we send him out on loan.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can't remember his exact age but Harry Kane wasn't knocking the goals in for Spurs aged 18. I have a feeling he was more like 21 when he finally got in the team, admittedly after a few loan spells, some more successful than others.

I remember seeing him playing at the Amex for Millwall in the Championship when he was a teenager. Spent most of his time out on the right wing and he looked like a baby giraffe. His control was as good too.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Like many have said, AC is very young. I still think his initial inclusion in the squad 19/20 season was circumstantial to a degree - I am sure at best he was going to be a 3rd/4th choice striker behind Maupay, Andone and Murray, maybe even Ali J (Cant remember what Locadia was doing) , and with Andone self-destructng, quickly he moved up the picking order. The focus will be on his development , as a player and a young man, and the best route for that will be decided by the Club. I doubt they would let the potential "go" just like that and get rid- I think a season loan, and the Hibs agreement looks tailor made , might be great, but with the hope that he makes the progress I guess everyone at the Club thinks he is capable of.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit of perspective:

Connolly is 21. He has played ninety minutes only twice in the EPL this season. He has also scored twice. He is one of 29 players who are 21 or under to have scored a goal in the league this year. In that list, he is joint ninth behind:

P Foden 9
J Willock 8
F Torres 7
M Greenwood 7
P Neto 5
B Saka 5
F Silva 4
K Havertz 4

and level with:

G Martinelli 2
E Smith Rowe 2
C Hudson Odoi 2
J Bogle 2
D Mc Neill 2
C Gallagher 2
E Nketiah 2

Of the players on that list, only Eddie Nketiah has played less minutes than Aaron Connolly. Now, there's no doubt that Aaron has some issues in his game and needs to keep improving, but if we had any of the players above who are in his peer group, would any of us be writing him off & proposing that we sell them, or loan them to the Championship? In Aaron's case the latter maybe a good idea if we have strength up front and he could go somewhere that guarantees him playing time to develop, but the former would be a bit silly.

The just 2 x 90 minutes is misleading.

9 EPL starts, then almost always subbed after sadly not impressing.

Whilst Willock, Saka, Eze, Moder, Curtis Jones, Lamptey and Mac Allister got the minutes because they produced the goods.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Connolly 17 P/L appearances 2 goals age 21. Developed by the club.
Kai Havertz 25 P/L appearances 4 goals age 21. Cost gazillions.

Chelsea stuck by their man and got their reward in the Champions League.
I think Albion will stick with young Aaron and get their reward next season. He's had his pressure breakthrough season, first games in the P/L, International breakthrough, Prem League goals and yes, his moment in The Sun.

Am I comparing Havertz and Connolly, well yes, just a bit. By all accounts, Havertz has underperformed against his fee and Connolly against expectations.

But give Connolly fitness and a good pre-season and I think we could see the player we all want to see, with Albion, in the Premier League.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I think Albion will stick with young Aaron and get their reward next season. He's had his pressure breakthrough season, first games in the P/L, International breakthrough, Prem League goals and yes, his moment in The Sun.

Am I comparing Havertz and Connolly, well yes, just a bit. By all accounts, Havertz has underperformed against his fee and Connolly against expectations.

But give Connolly fitness and a good pre-season and I think we could see the player we all want to see, with Albion, in the Premier League.

You’re comparing Connolly to Kai Hevertz?!! Ha ha ha ha, that is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on here.

And totally nonsensical. Clearly you don’t watch the Bundesliga as Havertz has been a proven top level player for more than 3 years.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Connelly as a footballer is not just about goals. Aside from this he contributes very little

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The club were too busy worrying about knocking out stories about how wonderful the academy was than the welfare of Connolly, who really needed a loan spell rather than the expectancy of leading the line in the Premier League.

I notice he's on the piss in London this weekend while ruled out of international duty with yet another 'injury'.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here