Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A view from a JCL, do you like us or not?

BHA FC is NOT a closed shop, I could, if I wanted to, rant on about how long i've supported the club, what northern shithole's i've been to on a tuesday night, how often i've been soaked at Withdean and how demorolising I found it travelling to Gillingham, .....but I won't! If I miss out on, let's say, a ticket for the pending "Arsenal away 4th rd FA cup match" (just an example) it's because I never got my lazy arse out of bed in time, I don't expect someone who's only been to 3 matches to be hanging around waiting for my approval before they buy a ticket

D

Deleted member 18477

How can a Palace fan get so upset over another fans embarrassment, when you get *snigger* goal music ha ha ha ha ha, no wonder they have to crank the noise up bet you are all hiding in shame, or do you actually enjoy it.

don't forget the little drummer boy. he's really cool!:thumbsup:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Unlike the OP I carried on from the Goldstone to support the club via Priestfield and Withdean. But I know a lot of fans who couldn't/wouldn't go to Priestfield and then decided that Withdean was to them an expensive dump of a place to watch football. Frankly I don't blame them at all. To many (including me at times) it looked as if the club was going to disappear altogether.

All I can say to the OP, and to anyone else who considers themself a 'JCL' - and I REALLY hate that term - is welcome back. I also hate the moral superiority of some of the so-called 'veterans' (albeit a noisy minority) and resent the fact that because of the way they go on that all new and returning fans are expected to have some sort of guilt complex because they made the sane decision not to pay top dollar to sit in the pouring rain to watch crap football at the worst ground in the country.

Also, given how quiet it was at Withdean it must be the JCLs making the noise. It can't be the so-called diehards.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Everyone is a JCL at some point and there is some banter on this site but for the most part that is all it is although there are some that you just have to ignore but thats the case whether you are a JCL or not. I also think the JCLs get a bad rap in being blamed for the moaning, i think that is pretty evenly spread between new and old.

When does a JCL become a not JCL that is the question

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If you make it through to the final of the Carling Cup; how many JCL's will you be taking ?

Come on, keep up. If it's us-they're 'plastics'. If it's the pikeys they're 'die-hard fans who are returning'.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
As much as some would hate to admit it, JCL's are key to the financial position of the club. Was always going to be the case, why else would we build a stadium so much bigger than the previous one? One thing that does rankle with me though is the moaning that comes even when we are in our highest league position in the 15 years I have been watching Brighton, but this is clearly not something that just the JCL's are guilty of.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh and as [MENTION=2111]eagles #1[/MENTION] has hijacked this thread, 959 fans to Forest works out at 127,547 miles travelled nowherenear the 212,527 miles by the 679 loyal fans that went to Boro

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Everyone was a JCL once.....
More the merrier I say. I just want to see a ground full of people who want to be there

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
With regard to the original post-the more new fans we attract, the better. If we find in a few years time that The Amex isn't big enough that'll be great. Meanwhile, at a club in Croydon they'll still be advertising for new fans on local lamp-posts and THAT is what is pissing them off more than anything. We are in the process of breezing by them, without f***ing our creditors twice in 12 years. How times change.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
WHEN or IF Palace get their new stadium how many JCLs will return>>>>We have five Palace FOLLOWERS in our social club not one of them has been to a Palace game in twenty years not even when Palace were at the Amex five miles away>>>they only watch on TV>

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I find it embarrassing to admit on here but I am a JCL. I see increasing resentment from longer serving fans towards the JCL's but at the same time hyping up the fact the Amex has 20,000 each week with an amazing atmosphere. Alot of these fans are JCL's what are you opinions on them?

I probably fall into the stereotype of a JLC, I was a follower (not fan) of a Premiership club but I always looked for Brighton's results and regarded them as my second team.

I have been to a few matches at The Goldstone but never had the 'honour' to go to the Withdean. Since the Amex this has completely changed, I am now a fully fledged Seagull. I go to away and cup matches, I have the shirt, everything revolves around the mighty Seagulls.

I have soooo much respect to those that have been through the tough times of Gillingham etc, but I feel that alot of the longer Seagulls should be a little more accommodating towards us JCL's.

Its great to have the amount of new and old fans coming back, I also think its embarrassing the way some so called fans slag each other off here and some of the forums are laughable, I would take it all with a pinch of salt.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I never understood what JCL means... Can someone please enlighten me?

Been following the Albion 28 years but only ever see the term on this site (to which I am new to) - I must have missed a memo ;)

Cheers
Johnny Come Lately. Applies to people who weren't Albion fans until this season. It's a shorthand expression used by Albion fans of a longer standing. It is perhaps slightly derogatory with the 'Johnny' bit, but as I say it's a shorthand expression. Someone says 'JCL' and most know what it means.

It's also spawned:
JCB - Johnny Come Back. Older but lapsed Albion fans who for a number of reason have now returned to the fold this season.
JLE - Johnny Leave Early. Fans who, again for a number of reasons, leave before the final whistle.

BTW you're a 'Newbie', that is someone new to NSC. But you're not a JCL!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have soooo much respect to those that have been through the tough times of Gillingham etc, but I feel that alot of the longer Seagulls should be a little more accommodating towards us JCL's.

I think some Albion fans really miss us being a tinpot outfit with our backs to the wall while others seem to think we have a divine right to walk through this division and feel the need to slag off the players when we don't look world class, the truth is somewhere inbetween and the fact is that we need the JCLs more than they need us. Falmer with 8,000 in doesn't bear thinking about.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
welcome-BabyTux.gif

D

Deleted member 18477

I think some Albion fans really miss us being a tinpot outfit with our backs to the wall while others seem to think we have a divine right to walk through this division and feel the need to slag off the players when we don't look world class, the truth is somewhere inbetween and the fact is that we need the JCLs more than they need us. Falmer with 8,000 in doesn't bear thinking about.

just look at poor old barnsley! 2 of their stands every game empty!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Definitely welcome the 'newer' Albion fans. As previously said, I would much rather have a full Amex than a half full, two thirds at best, run down old toilet like Selhurst. Anyone who is against JCL's should remember we lost a whole generation of fans by playing at Gillingham and Withdean. Neither of those two grounds were ever likely to bring back former supporters in droves. We are just making up for lost time and showing the true potential of what the Albion fan base could/should be.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
If this club is going to not only survive but progress then we need new support. Having a great stadium and doing well in the division will make supporting Brighton fashionable.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love the fact that we have a stadium, chairman, manager, team, beer and pies that make us such an attraction for JCLs

and the fact that Palace supporters get so wound up by it is even better :clap::clap::clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here