Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A view from a JCL, do you like us or not?

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
I find it embarrassing to admit on here but I am a JCL. I see increasing resentment from longer serving fans towards the JCL's but at the same time hyping up the fact the Amex has 20,000 each week with an amazing atmosphere. Alot of these fans are JCL's what are you opinions on them?

I probably fall into the stereotype of a JLC, I was a follower (not fan) of a Premiership club but I always looked for Brighton's results and regarded them as my second team.

I have been to a few matches at The Goldstone but never had the 'honour' to go to the Withdean. Since the Amex this has completely changed, I am now a fully fledged Seagull. I go to away and cup matches, I have the shirt, everything revolves around the mighty Seagulls.

I have soooo much respect to those that have been through the tough times of Gillingham etc, but I feel that alot of the longer Seagulls should be a little more accommodating towards us JCL's.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
I find it embarrassing to admit on here but I am a JCL. I see increasing resentment from longer serving fans towards the JCL's but at the same time hyping up the fact the Amex has 20,000 each week with an amazing atmosphere. Alot of these fans are JCL's what are you opinions on them?

From a Palace fans point of view you've hit the nail on the head mate, although I have it on good authority that the atmosphere isn't that great at the moment, JCL's also get the blame for that because they don't know the words to the songs, or should I say song !

Al-bi-on, Al-bi-on, Al-bi-on

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From a Palace fans point of view you've hit the nail on the head mate, although I have it on good authority that the atmosphere isn't that great at the moment, JCL's also get the blame for that because they don't know the words to the songs, or should I say song !

I'd find yourself another source if I were you.

Point is, while there is some in-joking about JCLs, the fact is the Amex wouldn't be full without newcomers. It would have been far better for the club if those people who didn't go to Withdean had actually done so, but such are the whims of people who don't like rain.

What other long-standing fans on this board think about newcomers isn't worth worrying about.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I probably fall into the stereotype of a JLC, I was a follower (not fan) of a Premiership club but I always looked for Brighton's results and regarded them as my second team.

I have been to a few matches at The Goldstone but never had the 'honour' to go to the Withdean. Since the Amex this has completely changed, I am now a fully fledged Seagull. I go to away and cup matches, I have the shirt, everything revolves around the mighty Seagulls.

I have soooo much respect to those that have been through the tough times of Gillingham etc, but I feel that alot of the longer Seagulls should be a little more accommodating towards us JCL's.

You must only be referring to these boards!? I doubt the majority of fans in the stadium, whether long standing or otherwise have the foggiest idea what the term JCL even means.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2

Brimmermusic, personally i welcome you with open arms, to come and join the fold.

Those who are against what they call JCL's or new fans as i call them, are nothing but Neanderthals, and have to respect that this wonderful club would not be a viable concern if we still had crowds like the ones we have in the withdean rattling around in a large stadium.

Without the New fans, we would not be looking to expand the club, which brings in further revenue, and this allows us to attract bigger and better players. It also means that people are more likely to bring their kids, which in turn may gain their support, rather than those of a Premier side (just cos their friends support Chelsea / man u / City etc) and this leads to more seagulls and the next generation being drawn in.

Like i said, welcomed with open arms from me....

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London

:D Classic!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Everyone has to start somewhere. In my opinion it doesn't matter when that is. Your in, and will be for a while longer hopefully. The real issue may well come after a couple of years of mid-table Championship finishes. Will the current JCLs stick around for the long haul? I certainly hope so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You must only be referring to these boards!? I doubt the majority of fans in the stadium, whether long standing or otherwise have the foggiest idea what the term JCL even means.

Spot on, it's not as if newcomers have JCL tattooed on their foreheads. The more the merrier, I say.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Brimmermusic, personally i welcome you with open arms, to come and join the fold.

Those who are against what they call JCL's or new fans as i call them, are nothing but Neanderthals, and have to respect that this wonderful club would not be a viable concern if we still had crowds like the ones we have in the withdean rattling around in a large stadium.

Without the New fans, we would not be looking to expand the club, which brings in further revenue, and this allows us to attract bigger and better players. It also means that people are more likely to bring their kids, which in turn may gain their support, rather than those of a Premier side (just cos their friends support Chelsea / man u / City etc) and this leads to more seagulls and the next generation being drawn in.

Like i said, welcomed with open arms from me....

Very well said :) you cant go forward as a club without attracting new fans! All aboard the Gus bus ....

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You are more than welcome. No need to apologise, and you'll be surprised at how the Albion bug will get you. I was a JCL myself albeit over 10 years ago and am now Albion through and through.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think the mighty Palace could do with a few JCLs to boost their dwindling support. I imagine that will happen automatically when they reach the Premiership this season, or perhaps when Sainsbury's has some particularly sharp deals.

As for our JCLs: welcome aboard. No need at all for embarrassment or self-consciousness. I don't care where you've been ... you've made the right decision to support your local club. Good on you.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What do you mean "do you like us or not?" You ARE us! In other words we're all Brighton fans, and we all had to start somewhere. And I personally wouldn't hold not going to Withdean against anybody.

There's always going to be some banter (see Easy 10's post), and undoubtedly, and sadly, there are a few uber-fans who do sneer, but most of us, the overwhelming majority of us, think 'the more the merrier'.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
May i ask which Premier League club you supported???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here