Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Level Results tomorrow

1066gull

BarrelofFun said:
Are you not expecting results, Adrie?
I have got my results, disappointed I didn'tg et a C in Media.

Am gonna resit it because i know AS ain't as serious as A2, but I want to correct it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
the full harris said:
No. I disagree. Better results are morelikely to indicate that the teachers are getting better at training their students to take the exams (a very different matter to actually knowing the subject). Exams are a game. Teachers (and students) are learning how to play the game more with every year that passes.

Wot a lot of old tosh!

A certain % of the population have the necessary brain power to go on to occupy the same % of top jobs that are on offer.

Those outside this % are being duped by the Government and will not get these jobs no matter how many A levels they are decorated with, or how many lower grade degrees they may achieve.

My experience when recruiting for jobs in the Pharmacutical industry was to interview only 1st Class Honours. The rest were not worth looking at.

This is not about a population becoming more intelligent over a time scale that defies evolution, its about perceived improvements in Government statistics.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Uncle C said:
Wot a lot of old tosh!

A certain % of the population have the necessary brain power to go on to occupy the same % of top jobs that are on offer.

Those outside this % are being duped by the Government and will not get these jobs no matter how many A levels they are decorated with, or how many lower grade degrees they may achieve.

My experience when recruiting for jobs in the Pharmacutical industry was to interview only 1st Class Honours. The rest were not worth looking at.

This is not about a population becoming more intelligent over a time scale that defies evolution, its about perceived improvements in Government statistics.

I think you are missing his point.

He is saying teachers are getting better at preparing students to pass exams which in my experience is true.

I can remember my A Level History lessons when our teacher would stop us going into any more detail then we needed.

She basically taught us in parrot fashion.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Richie Morris said:
I think you are missing his point.

He is saying teachers are getting better at preparing students to pass exams which in my experience is true.

I can remember my A Level History lessons when our teacher would stop us going into any more detail then we needed.

She basically taught us in parrot fashion.

I'm not missing the point at all.

A greater % of kids today are getting better grades for whatever reason (better teachers, more use of Internets - you name it),

Unfortunately, there is still only the same % of highly intelligent people.

The Government is encouraging a mismatch by allowing students to over achieve. When many qualify with a degree it allows them to stack shelves at Tescos. :nono:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Uncle C said:
Wot a lot of old tosh!

Yes, I agree with you. I was saying that people are getting better at learning how to take exams and so getting higher grades than they would have 10 years ago but their level of knowledge that can be applied in the workplace is probably about the same. I'm not saying it's the only reason, just one of them. Sorry, if that wasn't clear.

Having said that, with the results being posted on here, maybe we should all pipe down!

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Uncle C said:

A greater % of kids today are getting better grades for whatever reason (better teachers, more use of Internets - you name it),

The Government is encouraging a mismatch by allowing students to over achieve. When many qualify with a degree it allows them to stack shelves at Tescos. :nono:

Yes, but I wasn't saying otherwise.

Dandyman

In London village.
Uncle C said:

So, in your world the number of "intelligent" people (actually you mean those capable of absorbing certain types and modes of information) is unchanging regardless of the availability and quality of education ?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Uncle C said:

I can vouch for that. Look at the 'employment on leaving university' tables for a lot of degrees (for example my one). Quite unimpressive. However, speak to people doiing the course I'm on and you get comments like "well, when I've finished I'll have a good degree from a good university". It's bullshit, people just don't want to admit it! I know for a fact that when I leave I will have a degree which is fairly irrelevant from a fairly average university but I'm quite secure in this knowledge. It's a shame people don't feel it's ok not to be the best.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Withdean Wanderer said:
A in Business
C in History
C in English Language
A in Economics AS

Get in there:drink:
well done - the first ever successful "acca" posted on NSC :clap:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am on the receiving end of A levels, and I am also an examiner for a fairly senior professional qualification for the whole of the UK. IMO the standard both joining and leaving uni is pretty good. I say a big hats off to all who have earned their grades, because in my day (1978-80) I just arsed around for two years and relied on my memory to get me through.

There is nothing wrong with a modular approach to learning, it is less stressful, and allows examiners to test the application of knowedge rather than just brain dumps of facts.

The constant sniping at the results is just the sneering attitude of a certain type of person. We have that type of individual here on NSC, as also exists in all walks of life, but especially in the editorial room of the Mail and Express. This type of person is convinced that a return to national service, rickets and short back and sides is what the country needs, and they are not prepared to give 'the kids' (c) Rik of The Young Ones, and credit for their efforts.

The main reason why girls obtain better grades than boys is that at the age of 18 they are more mature, and have better looking jugs.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
the full harris said:
I can vouch for that. Look at the 'employment on leaving university' tables for a lot of degrees (for example my one). Quite unimpressive. However, speak to people doiing the course I'm on and you get comments like "well, when I've finished I'll have a good degree from a good university". It's bullshit, people just don't want to admit it! I know for a fact that when I leave I will have a degree which is fairly irrelevant from a fairly average university but I'm quite secure in this knowledge. It's a shame people don't feel it's ok not to be the best.
Agreed. I place a lot of value on a good degree from a good university when I'm recruiting - it does matter, although I have also hired non-graduates - but as long as they realise it's a way which can enable them to understand more complex issues involved in the work, rather than them thinking they know it all. Although actually, I don't mind a bit of cockiness in prospective employees either.

What I find so scary is, for example, the stupendous quality of maths skills that the French people I've ever interviewed seem to have, while I've had posh Cambridge graduates in pink shirts seriously incapable of answering the admittedly-challenging question "tell me a bit about your current role". I know, it's a sneaky one.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Dandyman said:
So, in your world the number of "intelligent" people (actually you mean those capable of absorbing certain types and modes of information) is unchanging regardless of the availability and quality of education ?

Not what I said. I approach it from the job market.

Wot I said is that there are only a certain number of jobs for the 'intelligent' (however you define that). As this is a finite number then it follows that only a certain % of Joe Public can achieve those jobs.

The Government can dish out as many exam results as it likes, but it cant change this fundamental.

Hence we see increasing despair and disillusionment among new graduates. They were promised the earth and just got dirt instead.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Uncle C said:

Hence we see increasing despair and disillusionment among new graduates. They were promised the earth and just got dirt instead.

If they are not clever enough to see through all the spin about degrees etc maybe they do not deserve a top job.

I went to uni and knew fair well getting a degree from a half decent uni would not suddently entitle me to a top job.

I think most uni students realise that - it is the few vocal 'look at me' ones who appear on TV who don't.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Dandyman said:

If that is what Uncle C is saying then I agree. Intelligence is not something that can be taught. Everyone gets their lot and has to make the best of it. I'm never going to be a nuclear physicist, no matter how many books I read on the subject. It's not about absorbing informattion, it's about the capaccity to understand complex ideas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here