Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Level Results tomorrow

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
El Presidente said:

Science and engineering is vastly underappreciated here in the UK, so that is why pay is lower. There are lots of people in the advertising industry who are paid peanuts, and the majority of the 'well paid' ones have a degree from a recognised uni.

Engineering isn't that badly paid, but the industry is short of qualified engineers - graduates. This is due to the fact that engineering is basically maths and physics, which imho are the two hardest subjects taught. Whereas something like business studies or media studies are much much easier, I speak from experience as I have both an Engineering degree and an MBA. Why study engineering or the sciences when the failure/dropout rate is significantly higher than say the humanities. The MBA wasn't easy, it required a great deal of time and effort but it wasn't difficult, just very very time consuming.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:
If you can quote me the 'enormous body of evidence' and 'flying in the face of all the facts' then I will happily back down. The research work that has been done indicates that the exams have not become easier, what has changed is that students are awarded their grades on merit, unlike the previous quota system where 30% of 'A' levels had to be failed because that is what it says in the rules

I teach people between 18-30, I think the ones with 3 A's have superb intelligence and dedication, and are reluctant to knock them. My views are based on what I have to encounter on a day to day basis, not sure how that makes me 'part of the problem', although I am not sure what you have narrowed the problem down to.

The percentage of A's is 24%, not 50% as you infer.

As for flippancy, well what else do you expect from one of NSC's resident comics?

This will have to do for starters. And he should know. He actually goes a lot further than I have on here. To call them 'worthless' is very unfair on those who have worked so hard.

Former chief inspector of schools and now education professor, Chris Woodhead, said that, in his view, the syllabuses of GCSEs and A-levels were "less challenging" compared with those of 20 years ago.

He criticised the system of dividing the qualification into modules whereby a test - which can be resat - is sat at the end of each module - a method which he felt made it easier than the traditional "terminal" exam.

He added: "We now have an A-level where almost one in four are getting A grades. The exam is simply not fit for purpose.

"It has been dumbed down to the point where it is not identifying the best candidates.

"All now must have prizes and the fact that all have prizes means the prizes are worthless."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some thoughts:

1. The Iron Curtain countries and China will continue to take manufacturing and low-skilled jobs away from the UK, therefore we need our kids to be more highly educated in order to continue to have a leading economy in the long-term. More kids going to Uni will, therefore, help us.

2. Standard in maths, sciences and English Language HAVE slipped, that is undeniable.

3. The fact that kids don't want to be plumbers or carpenters only encourages illegal immigrants, who know there is a skills shortgage in that department. This, in turn, has an adverse effect on the economy and sets a bad example.

The answer:

1. Government needs to focus strategy more on maths and the sciences.
2. Government also needs to get more kids from school into trades, while at the same time getting a proper immigration policy in place.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I wouldn't have a clue if the exams have got easier, so i won't comment upon that

However, i feel that the modular system of A levels can have its downside

For example, for my 4 A levels, i have taken 25 exams (4 x 6 units - 1 which was cw, + 2 which were re-takes)

25 exams in 2 years is quite a large number. Add that with GCSE exams, you start to build up a very large number of exams

I like the modular system, but would feel less pressurised taking 4 units per subject rather than 6 (for the full A Level)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair comments about Woodhead, but he is a politically motivated individual. Anyone who claims that sexual relations with a pupil is experimenta and educative for both parties' has to be viewed with a degree of suspicion.

The issue with traditional terminal exams is that they are memory tests to a degree. As an examiner I prefer them as it means less work for me, (which of course I like) but I am not convinced that they are testing ability.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Maybe the difficulty of exams compared years gone by is irrelevant?

Whether the kids these days are smarter or not, the number of As is huge, much bigger than, say, 10 years ago. Nearly a quarter (24 point someething %) of A-levels got an A! It's hard to tell who the really smart people are if so many are getting the top mark. So, why not make the exams harder (to cope with the increased intelligence of the current students) so that only the highest achievers get the top grades? Therefore allowing employers and universities to be able to actually tell the difference between the candidates qualifications.

Surely 24% of A-level students are not at the same level? That's impossible. Either make the exams harder or have more grades (e.g. A*)?...

EDIT Though, I guess that would make it harder to compare candidates of different ages. Tough one.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
im into uni - b b b c:clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
El Presidente said:
Well done Scotty, where are you going?

thank you

the lucky university that gets a student of my calibre is gloucestershire, which is based in cheltenham as that is where my family comes from

i will be joining the masses on the cheltenham and gloucester terrace at whaddon road in the not too distant future!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here