Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9th July?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
... as confirmed by the SMS message from the Club.

It has been confirmed today that a decision regarding Albion's proposed stadium at Falmer will be issued on or before Monday 9th July.

So does that mean it'll be a decision either way, and not a decision to re-open the inquiry?

No, probably not. But it would be nice.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
the very real danger is that people will just stop giving a shit anymore and this is already happening

Absolutely.

We've been on marches, sent postcards, trekked up to Hull, to Downing Street, ordered flowers, signed cards, petitions, staged sit-ins, sung songs, formed political parties, launched balloons, run marathons dressed as Scooby Doo (probably), God knows what else, and for what? It feels like we're hamsters on a wheel, running along furiously but getting nowhere.

We had a council decision, it went to a public enquiry. They have the public enquiry, and the NIMBYs delay that countless times. We get a result, the small minded peasants ask for a judicial review. Then some incompetent buffoon forgets to cross a couple of Ts and dot a few Is on the paperwork, and we get to start all over again, this time with Ruth Kelly in charge. Then Lewes delay it further.

I know it sounds negative, but I can't get remotely excited about July 9th, because previous experience tells me that even if Ruth Kelly actually manages to make a decision by then, something else will come up, and delay it yet again. Another call for a review maybe. A trifling technicality (spelling Ann DeVecchi's name wrong on the forms maybe) and we're back at square one, for the millionth time.

I'm trying hard to stay interested and involved, because I know the likes of LDC are banking on mass apathy setting in, in the hope that (1) we'll give up and (2) they'll have even more reasons to oppose us, but I bet I'm not the only one who's slowly becoming indifferent to every new Falmer announcement or plea from the club.

The day they start digging foundations in that field, then I'll be the first one to get the champagne out, dance across the A27, hell I'll start a naked conga line around Falmer pond with "In Your Face, Baker" painted on my buttocks, but right now, another announcement, another "maybe" date, even the strong belief that it'll be a Yes verdict- it just feels like more hot air to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon we should all go up to Falmer's field on 9th July with trowels and spades and shovels and just dig up the top-soil regardless. Let the LDC ****s go to court to make us put it back.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
you just know 9th July will not be the end of it

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Tom Hark said:
Reckon we should all go up to Falmer's field on 9th July with trowels and spades and shovels and just dig up the top-soil regardless. Let the LDC ****s go to court to make us put it back.

I'm with ya !

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Baker " I will accept the decision of the 2nd public enquiry " LIES

Commin/LDC 12/05 " we will ensure that we do this appeal as quickly as we possibly can " LIES

LDC " we will accept Ruth Kelly's decision " - what do you reckon ??? :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
40000 postcards must have focused her mind , not :angry:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
O look its decision 5644???
Its so boring its unreal,even more boring is the fact it takes ages to build unlike everyother club who have new stadia.:yawn:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
it appears that whatever the decision is, LDC can appeal again and have 60 days or something so thats early Sept and then they can ask for a Judicial Review which puts it on hold for 2 years or so, is this correct

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
it appears that whatever the decision is, LDC can appeal again and have 60 days or something so thats early Sept and then they can ask for a Judicial Review which puts it on hold for 2 years or so, is this correct

Who knows. Who cares. Why take chances? Vote the bastard LDC Lib Dems out in May.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Tom Hark said:
That's sorted then. Mark out the exact area of the pitch on the 8th and dig it up on the 9th. Job done :thumbsup:

We actully should all go there on saturday spay paint the pitch on the mud and have the first game at falmer! :wave: I'd love that!:bounce:

The timetable:-

Representations by the interested parties had to be with the Department of Communities & Local Government by 15 February.

Comments have to be made by the interested parties by 27 April - about seven weeks from when the interested parties get to see the other parties' representations.

The DCLG civil servants will then have to assess those comments and prepare recommendations for Ruth Kelly. Kelly will then make the decision, publish it, and publish the reasons for taking it. Before it is published, it will be ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that an expert eye is passed over the text of the decision letter to avoid any errors like the one last time that allowed a successful legal challenge to be made.

The DCLG have given themselves 10 weeks for the whole of this last part of the process.

The validity of the Secretary of State’s decision may be challenged by making an application to the High Court within six weeks from the date of the decision letter. That means, I guess, that we won't be celebrating a final victory until 20 August at the earliest.

Last edited:

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Presuming that Blair steps down in May and Gordon Brown reshuffles the Cabinet, there is no guarantee Ruth Kelly will be in her job by the 9th July. Is this likely to affect the decision date?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Kinky Gerbils said:
What are the chances of anything but a 9th July date?

I'm sure last time the deadline was on a monday but was annonuced on the friday before the deadline

Last edited:

paddy said:
Presuming that Blair steps down in May and Gordon Brown reshuffles the Cabinet, there is no guarantee Ruth Kelly will be in her job by the 9th July. Is this likely to affect the decision date?
It shouldn't.

But I can't see the Labour Party getting its act together to complete a leadership election by then.

The Labour Party rules provide for a third of the votes to be allocated to the Trades Unions, a third to the Parliamentary Labour Party and a third to constituency Labour Parties (CLPs).

The rules require trades unions and CLPs to hold ballots of their individual members (One Member, One Vote - OMOV) during leadership elections.

So any contested election is going to take some time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here