Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8.9 magnitude earthquake in japan

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just fird up Google Earth with the Earthquake plug-in, 4 aftershocks within the past hour (BBC News now aswell)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
just fird up Google Earth with the Earthquake plug-in, 4 aftershocks within the past hour (BBC News now aswell)

Japan has had 19 aftershocks since the 8.9 magnitude Earthquake

However generally they usually get between 100 and 160 Earthquakes a year

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They were talking about 44 confirmed deaths so far...looking at the effect of those waves and seeing HGVs and houses getting swept away, you have to think it's going to be a lot, lot higher in the end :(

terrible to say but true. you only have to watch a few seconds footage and that probably contains more than that, from what i have seen. those poor people in their cars its horrible to watch.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Agreed, apparently many newer buildings in Japan have been built to withstand even the severest of earthquakes, though their efficiency probably doesn't happen almost anywhere else in the World. Remember the pictures from Christchurch, where apparently a third of the buildings in the city centre will need to be demolished, much of the damage was to older buildings like the cathedral.

Sounds like it could be very bad in other areas of Japan, they have just reported that 300 houses have been destroyed in one city :eek:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
terrible to say but true. you only have to watch a few seconds footage and that probably contains more than that, from what i have seen. those poor people in their cars its horrible to watch.

Added to that the fishing ports being swept away - you can't imagine anything but a rise in casualties

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i wonder if anyone is waxing up their surfboard in hawaii now?

pointbreakstars.jpg

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Earthquakes are so common here that nobody normally bats an eyelid when there is a tremor but in my 20 years of living here this was the biggest mutha of all. I pegged it out into the garden with Mrs. JCF and watched my house literally sway from side to side thinking it was going to cave in like a house of cards. The most annoying thing is my entire collection of 600 cds flew across my study, leaving the plastic cases in shards. Being the anal nerd that I am I had only just finished cleaning all the discs and replacing the cases with the slightest fingerprint on them. Hope all the Japan-based NSCers are okay!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Awful, awful stuff. Hope all's well with one of NSC's finest, KLS in Hawaii, as well as the diaspora in Japan and elsewhere.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Earthquakes are so common here that nobody normally bats an eyelid when there is a tremor but in my 20 years of living here this was the biggest mutha of all. I pegged it out into the garden with Mrs. JCF and watched my house literally sway from side to side thinking it was going to cave in like a house of cards. The most annoying thing is my entire collection of 600 cds flew across my study, leaving the plastic cases in shards. Being the anal nerd that I am I had only just finished cleaning all the discs and replacing the cases with the slightest fingerprint on them. Hope all the Japan-based NSCers are okay!

Glad to hear you're ok :)

Has anyone heard from Shiz yet?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
About 2000 people from within a 2km radius have been evacuated from around the Fukushima nuclear power station where there is a cooling system failure as a precaution and the area could be extended further as they are having major difficulties rectifying this problem

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
Shit 8.9 is massive. Its going to do massive damage even with it not being centred on a population.

The tsunami is predicted to only be a metre by the time it gets to NZ, so we're fine. The people on the beaches in Hawaii are nuts though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here