Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8.9 magnitude earthquake in japan

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I reckon it'll just be me, but does anyone struggle to accept the reality of it all? I mean all these disaster movies that we see showing tsunami's, earthquakes and all other manor of natural phenomenon and when I see the exact same thing happening on the telly this morning, I sometimes find it hard to appreciate that this is actually happening to real people. It's as if it's all dummed down because it's a common feature of films these days. I'm not saying films like that shouldn't be made but they do seem to water things down a bit and so the shock is not as great as it really should me. As I said, it's probably just me and I won't have explained myself very well so apologies!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Had to pop away from PC for a bit. What's the latest with Hawaii? Was supposed to hit by now, wasn't it?

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I am watching public broadcaster NHK at the mo and there are hundreds dead. It says at least 90 dead but apparently 300 (unconfirmed) were swept away to sea in Sendai in northern Japan in one foul swoop. Grim stuff

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
1332: Between 200 and 300 bodies have been found on a beach near Sendai, the semi-official Jiji Press news agency is reporting.

1333: There has also been a major explosion at a petrochemical complex in Sendai, according to the Kyodo news agency.

:(

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
1332: Between 200 and 300 bodies have been found on a beach near Sendai, the semi-official Jiji Press news agency is reporting.

1333: There has also been a major explosion at a petrochemical complex in Sendai, according to the Kyodo news agency.

:(

There has also been an explosion in Ichihara, Chiba, which I can SEE BURNING FROM MY GARDEN!!!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They are now repoerting that a passenger train with an unknown number of passengers is missing from around a coastal area near Sendai

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the really horrible thing on this is that when the cameras are in these areas, you dont see a soul anywhere!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yup - that's what was said during the Boxing Day tsunami.

Think that must be where I remembered it from, possibly a British couple on the beach in Thailand, their small kid pointed out what was happening and they legged it pretty sharpish.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup - that's what was said during the Boxing Day tsunami.

Bit like in Deep Impact when they're standing on the beach waiting for the tsunami to hit, the water all drew back first. I thought it was a bit of 'artistic licence' in that scene, but perhaps not...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
the really horrible thing on this is that when the cameras are in these areas, you dont see a soul anywhere!!

That is what I thought when they showed the pictures from the seaside village, totally trashed and barely a soul to be seen...where the hell did all the people go, I am pretty sure they can't all have been evacuated in time!

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
JCF where exactly in Japan are you? Hope you are ok btw?

Thanks, mate. In Chiba, on the bay east of Tokyo. I'm on high ground so have got off lucky but other places a couple of train stops down the line have been badly hit. Good job I decided to take the day off work today. Watching some grim stuff unfold on the telly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here