Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

433 - no wingers and where is vicente??

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Argus website:-

"Will Buckley (hamstring tightness) and Vicente (fatigue) were both absent."

Fatigue? Doesn't he get to bed early enough? it surely can't be due to his endeavours on the pitch - as welcome as his recent two cameos have been!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Because this game came off the back of 6 games unbeaten and a left field decision to play a formation - i dont think we have played before and not start with at least 5 of our best attacking options against a team that hadnt won for ages and was there for the beating especially at home. Therefore it stands out like a sore thumb.

stand out like a sort thumb that we gained a point last night after being behind twice...i take it u were there?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Post match Gus admitted he was a fault for picking a team (& formation?) that didn't work....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Post match Gus admitted he was a fault for picking a team (& formation?) that didn't work....

As i see it the formation led to silly mistakes. We tried to play a strange fluid 4-3-3 with the strikers all over the place, this led to us giving the ball away of many occasions and letting them get at us.

Also Dunk played like a f***ing idiot.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Nope. Sunday's match has a much higher priority. In years to come, hardly anyone will remember today's game. Win, lose or draw, the Liverpool game at Anfield will be cherished forever, just like the FA Cup games with Liverpool in 1983, 1984 and 1991. Not many people remember much about the preceding League games in those seasons.

Absolute Bullshit! Sundays match is a one off cup final for us. The league is far more important and Gus got it totally wrong tonight big style.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
As i see it the formation led to silly mistakes. We tried to play a strange fluid 4-3-3 with the strikers all over the place, this led to us giving the ball away of many occasions and letting them get at us.

Yeah, it was like we were trying to revive the spirit of '91 when Walker, Small and Byrne played upfront like that, which worked brilliantly against Millwall in that play-off semi-final.

That's the only explanation I can find for last night's tactical aberation.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Biggest surprise was El-Abd not starting -we were shocking at the back tonight and Dunk looked out of sorts which is hardly suprising as he'd just recovered from illness

Dunks performance had nothing to do with his recent illness IMO. Just because he has been ill doesnt mean his eyesight has gone. Dunky -We play in Blue and white!!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
stand out like a sort thumb that we gained a point last night after being behind twice...i take it u were there?

The I take it you were there is such a lame comment - but goes with your name I guess.

Pre team selection and formation we should have been confident of getting all three points - that is my point. Poyet f***ed it up and we lost 2 points we were lucky not to lose all 3.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
really the form table says the complete opposite - you expected that performance and formation from brighton last night - bet you unloaded your wages on an away win?
The form table doesn't tell you the likelihood of a win, the bookies do. I was hoping for a win, but if it should have been an easy home win the bookies would have had us as odds on to win the game, but we weren't, we were 15/13 against.

Nothing wrong with timely experiments but he should have fixed it at HT
Do you not think it's possible that Gus knows more about this sort of thing than you? Maybe it takes longer than 45 minutes to try things out.
Your first sentence sounds like your lucky to be one of those people that is easily content, admirable. Yet your bragging and abuse suggests something quite different.
Bragging? I can't see any bragging in that post. And we're 2 points off the playoffs and 7 points of 2nd, I don't see what's easily content about being happy with that. And lastly, abuse - get a sense of humour.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The thing is that 4-3-3 worked quite well last year, so I can kind-of see why Gus went with it. Unfortunately it didn't work; he got it wrong but the players were very weak in possession and Millwall won the battle in midfield quite comfortably, largely thanks to Trotter and Keogh.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If we'd have set up normally and lost, someone would have started a thread asking when we're ever going to see CMS and Vokes upfront together in a good old 4-4-2 formation.

Gus tried something new. It didn't work. We didn't lose.

Tactically, he's made fewer mistakes in the last 2 years than any manager I can remember, give him a break and bring on Liverpool!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An odd, odd set-up which I hope Gus thinks very carefully about before he employs it again.

Edit: No, I don't think I know better than Poyet. But that doesn't mean I can't express an opinion about the way he sets the team up for the game. That is, after all, the point of this forum, isn't it?
Indeed, and you've expressed how you think it failed whilst seeming to understand the need to try new things sometimes, while others on here seem to suggest that Gus is an idiot for even trying anything he hadn't run past NSC first.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not all hindsight, playing none of our 4 players that can beat a man but playing 3 centre forwards led me to bet @ 7.30 pm 1) that we wouldn't win 2) we wouldn't score our 2nd goal til after 75 min 3) that we would score late with subs on....All won
You must have made a bloody fortune.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we'd have set up normally and lost, someone would have started a thread asking when we're ever going to see CMS and Vokes upfront together in a good old 4-4-2 formation.
This.
This
Tactically, he's made fewer mistakes in the last 2 years than any manager I can remember, give him a break
This
and bring on the wall!
WTF?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Tactically, he's made fewer mistakes in the last 2 years than any manager I can remember, give him a break and bring on Liverpool!

And each time he has made a mistake he has held up his hands and said it didn't work. He will have learnt a helluva lot from last night's game that will stand us in even better stead for the remainder of the season.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am still wondering why to try something so different when we are on an excellent run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with Poyet (most of the time) but now we've got to where we are and I want to see us get into the play offs and have a real good go. Last night was two points dropped. Millwall were there for the taking and Poyet's stubborness to stick with that weird formation for so long cost us two points.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I am still wondering why to try something so different when we are on an excellent run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with Poyet (most of the time) but now we've got to where we are and I want to see us get into the play offs and have a real good go. Last night was two points dropped. Millwall were there for the taking and Poyet's stubborness to stick with that weird formation for so long cost us two points.

This. Tho on paper, with that team you would expect to beat, erm, lowly millwall but as we know the game isnt played on paper.

What annoyed me most was millwall were there for the taking and if we played our "settled" side then we would have beaten them handsomely. So my main gripe with gus is that at times this season we have come up against teams there for the taking and we havent gone for the jugular. Millwall a, Cov a, Millwall h spring immediately to mind.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The I take it you were there is such a lame comment - but goes with your name I guess.

Pre team selection and formation we should have been confident of getting all three points - that is my point. Poyet f***ed it up and we lost 2 points we were lucky not to lose all 3.

geez yur touchy aren't u...it was a genuine question ...because being at the game and the way we played it was a point gained...before the game ye would hav expected 3 points...by 9.45 happy to hav got one!

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
The form table doesn't tell you the likelihood of a win, the bookies do. I was hoping for a win, but if it should have been an easy home win the bookies would have had us as odds on to win the game, but we weren't, we were 15/13 against.

Do you not think it's possible that Gus knows more about this sort of thing than you? Maybe it takes longer than 45 minutes to try things out.
Bragging? I can't see any bragging in that post. And we're 2 points off the playoffs and 7 points of 2nd, I don't see what's easily content about being happy with that. And lastly, abuse - get a sense of humour.

Bragging = there is feeling lucky and telling everyone else that you feel it. This conflicts with content IMO.

Sorry I didn't realise you were only fooling around with the abuse i actually just thought you were one.

Besides should have changed tactics at HT and I got hindsight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here