Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

433 - no wingers and where is vicente??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just feel so lucky being a Brighton fan. Not only have we got a home at last, and a smart chairman that looks like he'll be with us for decades, but we've such gifted fans that know more than the best manager we've had in decades.

Sure we all wondered what the selection and setup was about, and we had our doubts, and our doubts were realised, but we're not going to progress as a club without trying things. Football isn't all about wingers, even though we're loving ours at the moment. We all thought CMS needed a front man along side him, and how we set-up for that isn't a given.

So, in summary, all you whingers are f***ing idiots and I hate you all etc etc blah blah. x

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It sounded a curious lineup from the off. ZERO width, when everything Gus usually does is to accomodate it - we've got the equal-biggest pitch in the League for precisely that reason, to Gus's specifications, in order to stretch teams. I've wanted to see Reyes in midfield for ages, but not alongside Bridcutt and Navarro, and not at the expense of all our wingers.

I thought the subs were strange in terms of timing as well. Having just got back into it with the equaliser, and we're building up a head of steam, within 5 minutes he hauls off CMS and Reyes for Noone and Agdestein. The re-jig completely stalled our momentum.

Just a bit of an experiment gone wrong tonight I think. Don't reckon he'll try that again.

Yes I was bemused re the subs....but then the last and late change was lua lua

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I just feel so lucky being a Brighton fan. Not only have we got a home at last, and a smart chairman that looks like he'll be with us for decades, but we've such gifted fans that know more than the best manager we've had in decades.

Sure we all wondered what the selection and setup was about, and we had our doubts, and our doubts were realised, but we're not going to progress as a club without trying things. Football isn't all about wingers, even though we're loving ours at the moment. We all thought CMS needed a front man along side him, and how we set-up for that isn't a given.

So, in summary, all you whingers are f***ing idiots and I hate you all etc etc blah blah. x

Looooooooool

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
yeah gus may of got it wrong tonight but he gets it right a lot more thats why we are 9th in the championship and still in with a good shout of play-offs

players didnt perform for him tonight as he would of wanted

thought reyes looked shocking tonight not a premeship player on that form but the back heel in the first half was bit of class

but still unbeaten in 2012 so a draw when you havent performed that well isnt the end of the world

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Mar 10, 2006
Biggest surprise was El-Abd not starting -we were shocking at the back tonight and Dunk looked out of sorts which is hardly suprising as he'd just recovered from illness

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whether you like it or not, I think Poyet and the players had their minds on Sundays game. Yes the formation was different and seemed strange when you consider KLL and Noone were both on the bench. However, the formation didn't explain the number of mis-placed passes when possession was given away. Millwall kept possession far better than us and had better movement and support for each other. Brezovan had a poor punch for the first goal and Mattock allowed their player to ghost in behind him for the second.

As for those saying last night was more important than Sunday, get a life. Dropping two points last night will not be what costs us a play-off place. You could argue the 2 points dropped against Leeds were worse and you have to remember that of the teams above us, we have Cardiff, Middlesborough, Reading and Birmingham all to visit the Amex.

I for one don't remember the results of matches in 1982/83 but I do recall the Cup results of which I missed only the Newcastle replay.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Lol why pick on just this game and not say other draws or defeats....an alternative view of tonight could be to remember the one point we gained that could make all the difference

Because this game came off the back of 6 games unbeaten and a left field decision to play a formation - i dont think we have played before and not start with at least 5 of our best attacking options against a team that hadnt won for ages and was there for the beating especially at home. Therefore it stands out like a sore thumb.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford

Nothing wrong with timely experiments but he should have fixed it at HT

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll be mighty pissed off if he rested them for Sunday. Despite 6000 fans going to watch us play Liverpool on Sunday tonights match was much more important.

I think that Gus is FAR more interested in getting a result on Sunday than he was last night and I reckon he took Millwall lightly with that team selection. The media coverage will be massive if we do well against Liverpool and Gus will have raised his profile even further. Resting key players for Sunday was part of the plan...I think. Cynical maybe but that's what I think :shrug:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Hey,Gus,if you're reading this stuff don't worry.

We ALL know better than you,especially with hindsight.

no need for hindsight - i was pissed off before kick off due to the team selection and formation. I am not for a minute suggesting i know better than Gus but to play a formation we havent played before and to have no wingers against millwall seemed a strange decision to me.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Wow some bizarre comments of course we have an eye on Sunday the profile is huge and the possibility of 6th round has decent money associated. We are safe in the league and every player on the pitch can justify first team selection, Buckley had a niggle would you rather play him and lose him for the rest of the season, Vicente is fragile we know would you rather risk losing him? I agree the formation was strange but it was a sensible game to try something different for the long term plan but it failed move on this will only make us stronger. My disappointment was the form of CMS he is definitely off the boil despite his goal on Saturday.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
According to whom? Not according to the bookies, and they tend to know these things.

really the form table says the complete opposite - you expected that performance and formation from brighton last night - bet you unloaded your wages on an away win?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Agree with the above - we've got four of the best wide men you could hope for, yet start with none of them playing. There was a knock-on effect with three effectively defensive midfielders all finding themselves in the wrong place all the time and then constantly misplacing passes or trying to find players who were not there.

An odd, odd set-up which I hope Gus thinks very carefully about before he employs it again.

Edit: No, I don't think I know better than Poyet. But that doesn't mean I can't express an opinion about the way he sets the team up for the game. That is, after all, the point of this forum, isn't it?

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford

Your first sentence sounds like your lucky to be one of those people that is easily content, admirable. Yet your bragging and abuse suggests something quite different.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hey,Gus,if you're reading this stuff don't worry.

We ALL know better than you,especially with hindsight.

Not all hindsight, playing none of our 4 players that can beat a man but playing 3 centre forwards led me to bet @ 7.30 pm 1) that we wouldn't win 2) we wouldn't score our 2nd goal til after 75 min 3) that we would score late with subs on....All won
Millwall hadn't scored in their last 4 home games, we should have played to win not cowardly protect players
Why doesn't Gus admit that he picked Sundays line up before last night, then adjusted accordingly? He loves the attention of the TV ganes & esp this one, Worldwide viewing of HIS managerial skills & he wasn't going to let a league game potentially make him look silly on the big TV stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here