Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

35,000 Capacity at the Amex?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think there's the ability to move the seats close together. I sit in seat 543 and the one to my right is 538 so by shuffling them all along a bit they could fit four more in each row.
So that's another 80 per block in the ESU - another 480. Do the same in other stands and you've got to be looking at 2500-3000 more seats.
I really hope they don't though, as I've got quite a fat arse and don't want to get too cosy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clearly we don't sell out, but I'm sure there are fans who are currently unhappy in other parts of the ground who prefer to watch the game higher up + want to get the noise levels up and be in part of the ground where that could happen. I have read plenty of posts of people in ESU who want to make a noise but are surrounded by those who don't - a NSU could give them the chance.

But the North Stand is never full! I would suggest about three quarters full at most. Maybe we need to wait and see who moves in the close season!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think the priority is to keep what we have full, 30,000 is about right. If we are still filling the Amex is 5 years, maybe...

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Stick 'em down the front - sorted.

tim_brent_chair.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I wondered if Martin Perry choked on his prawn sandwich when he heard that the Sky commentator said that about us expanding to 35k?

I suspect it was just another casual ill-informed throwaway comment on a night when Sky hardly covered themselves in glory. 'Reading' indeed.

I think most fans (I suspect including Tony Bloom) recognise that having got to 30k capacity our next priority (after the training complex opens) is to spend any spare cash on reinforcing a playing squad that would enable us to get into the Prem, otherwise an extra 4k seats would be an extravagance we will rarely need.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the stadium can go to 35K.

That Swansea fan, Natterjack, who was the construction manager or some such stated this a few years ago in one of his posts (although it may have since been deleted).

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I remember Martin Perry saying the problem with installing several thousand extra seats would be the statutary number of exit gangways needed.
Or something like that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But the North Stand is never full! I would suggest about three quarters full at most. Maybe we need to wait and see who moves in the close season!

The reason seems to be missing STH's rather than unsold seats, there are not that many unsold seats. If you look at the 2014/15 ST availibility you could see most empty ones are single seats.

I don't dispute this fact at all, I'm just saying a higher view point may be more sellable than say the ESU ends for example.

Dec 29, 2011
It would clearly cost millions and would probably only happen if we had an Albion mad billionaire owner who bleeds blue and white and was keen to see us get to the promised land where we might actually fill it.

...Zing!

And if it did happen, it would look MAGNIFICENT - perhaps trumping Porto's new thing of beauty:

large_1149887.jpg

Look at that picture it made me wonder what's the point of a roof if you have a 30 foot gap between the roof and the stand. Perhaps ventilation?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... the stadium can go to 35K.

That Swansea fan, Natterjack, who was the construction manager or some such stated this a few years ago in one of his posts (although it may have since been deleted).

Yes I recall dear old Natterjack implying that........and I'll say again that may well be the case - but IMHOP it is just not a priority in the short term. I suggest there are far more posts on NSC agreeing that we need a stronger playing squad rather than create unnecessary financial costs from adding seats that will remain largely vacant.

Personally I would have preferred to see a steeper rake and maybe 1 or 2k more seats in the North stand rather than squeeze in 4k seats, but don't think that is on the cards either.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Look at that picture it made me wonder what's the point of a roof if you have a 30 foot gap between the roof and the stand. Perhaps ventilation?

Roof for shade?

And I recall something about the Emirates that they have the same sort of gap, it promotes good airflow across the pitch, thus helping the grass to grow better. :shrug:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Look at that picture it made me wonder what's the point of a roof if you have a 30 foot gap between the roof and the stand ?

Because if we had the same you would have a lovely view of the person sat next to you on 85mins sat in his car trying to get away or the other end the mad rush for the train

I remember being informed 3 years ago during a tour of the ground that they would look to expand the north stand in some way. I was also told in that same talk it has the ability to expand to around 38,000 in its current structure. I can only see that being the case if the other corners are filled in and a tier added to the north.

Would absolutely LOVE it if we just built the North Stand up as one big wall of 4/5000 fans. Its way too small in its present state to be the instigator of all the noise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I remember being informed 3 years ago during a tour of the ground that they would look to expand the north stand in some way. I was also told in that same talk it has the ability to expand to around 38,000 in its current structure. I can only see that being the case if the other corners are filled in and a tier added to the north.

Would absolutely LOVE it if we just built the North Stand up as one big wall of 4/5000 fans. Its way too small in its present state to be the instigator of all the noise.

Which other corners are those then?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is there? If there is, you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have.

they have.
and the club are aware roughly how many would need extra assistance in case of a bad scenario.(letters were sent out asking for information),well at least to the ones at higher levels anyway.

saying that im loving electricnaz idea of a ramp up to the loftier positions,the gradient would be of an extremity that would be sufficient to ensure that in the event of a fire at least a half dozen world land speed records would be broken on exit.

top work from that chap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here