Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

35,000 Capacity at the Amex?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm loving the idea of a ramp up to the loftier positions,the gradient would be of an extremity that would be sufficient to ensure that in the event of a fire at least a half dozen world land speed records would be broken on exit.

top work from that chap!

Many records such as that go on 85 mins each and every week from ALL directions

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We have,their called evac chairs and there a few stewards in every stand trained to use them.

Plus the design of The Amex being mainly concrete allowing for safe refuges and giving 'protected' exit routes means the degree of urgency for evacuating less mobile fans is substantially less than in older style stands and if necessary can be conducted in a far more controlled fashion. The Albion should be commended for providing such facilities on upper levels. Compare the facilities and precautions designed into the Amex when compared to many other 'grounds' we visit and you will see that The Amex it is just as safe for those less mobile as for other fans, which is exactly how it should be.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
what will happen eventually is -
Lancing will be turned into a 50,000 stadium instead of tha acadamy and the Amex will be the main training ground pitch after we have bought up the university land on that side of the A27yay !!!

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Expansion to seats requires a 'fresh' planning permission due to the conditions and associated legal agreement. This will be challenging to achieve considering the history and position Lewes Council is likely to take and highways impacts

A serious increase to capacity (such as increase to 35,000) would require structural alterations (eg to roof and supports). Achievable, but expensive and subject to planning

Feb 14, 2010
According to NSC, Brighton who get 28000 for Yeovil in the Championship dont need a bigger ground for Arsenal at home in the Premier league as we are the only club in the country whose gates wont go up by a third or double in the premier league. According also to NSC we didnt really get 30000 gates in the third division despite people I know remembering the days and so we dont need a bigger ground. Some would says its blindingly obvious that we need a bigger ground for top flight football and to take this club towards its potential. Others would argue that its blindingly obvious that a club who get 28000 for Yeovil despite no success on the pitch only need an extra 2000 for the likes of Arsenal in the top flight. I dont quite follow the view as being anything but illogical but there we go.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well he hasn't told me what to do in the event of a fire.

To be fair, assuming you are an adult, living and working in the European Union, you should be aware of the standard emergency evacuation procedures which are, by law, implemented in every single place of work in Europe. The signage is the main method that anyone will use, which is prominently displayed, and where necessary is illuminated. Emergency escape routes are clearly signed, kept clear of obstruction, and everywhere has one. All employers have the legal responsibility to ensure their employees know how to evacuate their place of work, and understand the signage for exit routes, fire fighting equipment as well as the procedure to follow in the event of discovering a fire. If yours hasn't, then that is a gross dereliction of their obligation under law. One thing for sure, the staff at the Amex have been shown, and among them will be staff who are trained to assist as and when an evacuation is required.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I can't understand why the disabled are not allowed to park their three wheeled cars at the side of the pitch anymore. It seems a simple solution to everything and worked great in the 70s. More space in the upper east for seats, no complaints about walking from the car park and more spaces in the car park for the prawn sandwich brigade. In the event of a fire, they just drive out.

(and for those that miss it, yes there is sarcasm in there :) )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair, assuming you are an adult, living and working in the European Union, you should be aware of the standard emergency evacuation procedures which are, by law, implemented in every single place of work in Europe. The signage is the main method that anyone will use, which is prominently displayed, and where necessary is illuminated. Emergency escape routes are clearly signed, kept clear of obstruction, and everywhere has one. All employers have the legal responsibility to ensure their employees know how to evacuate their place of work, and understand the signage for exit routes, fire fighting equipment as well as the procedure to follow in the event of discovering a fire. If yours hasn't, then that is a gross dereliction of their obligation under law. One thing for sure, the staff at the Amex have been shown, and among them will be staff who are trained to assist as and when an evacuation is required.
Er, I'm not an employee of BHA. What's my place of work and their procedure got to do with telling disabled fans what will happen in the event of a fire?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Er, I'm not an employee of BHA. What's my place of work and their procedure got to do with telling disabled fans what will happen in the event of a fire?

I think you've miss my point, which was about your point where you mentioned that no-one has told you what to do in the event of a fire.

The evacuation procedures are displayed in appropriate positions all round the stadium, the signage is clear as to what route to take, and the disabled refuge points are also signed, these are all requirements, by law, that are put into place to ensure everyone can work out how to evacuate a building, or what to do in the event of an emergency. I think it's also fair to say that people who are in wheelchairs are probably more than aware of what they need to do, and will have made sure they know where the refuge points are. I’d have thought that the club also makes sure that disabled supporters are given more advice due to the specific nature of their needs. I spent last evening at the awards event with a friend of ours, who is a wheelchair using STH, I should have asked him if he has taken the time to work out what he needs to do in the event of an emergency, of if he will just expect someone else to do it for him. BTW, he also wrote a report on the accessibility of the Amex which was prepared for the club. From his perspective, and in his opinion and experience (he goes away), the Amex is the best stadium for all things wheelchair and accessibility.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you've miss my point, which was about your point where you mentioned that no-one has told you what to do in the event of a fire.

The evacuation procedures are displayed in appropriate positions all round the stadium, the signage is clear as to what route to take, and the disabled refuge points are also signed
(I'm not being rude here - ) No, you've miss-understood what I've said. This is how the conversation went:

Is there? If there is, you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have.
We have,their called evac chairs and there a few stewards in every stand trained to use them.
Note - champion7 is a steward.
Well he hasn't told me what to do in the event of a fire.

So the question isn't about the signage. I said you'd think they'd tell disabled fans, a steward here has said they have, and I've said they haven't told me.

I’d have thought that the club also makes sure that disabled supporters are given more advice due to the specific nature of their needs.
Me too - that's what I said at the start.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There's at least one flaw in electricnaz's plans, east upper and lower match tickets are the same price, so nothing to gain in taking seats out of lower and putting them in upper!:)

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
(I'm not being rude here - ) No, you've miss-understood what I've said. This is how the conversation wen

Note - champion7 is a steward.

So the question isn't about the signage. I said you'd think they'd tell disabled fans, a steward here has said they have, and I've said they haven't told me.

Me too - that's what I said at the start.
I said some stewards are trained to deal with the disabled in the event of an emergency.you said that you didn't work for the club,which means you wouldn't be trained on what to do in an emergency.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I said some stewards are trained to deal with the disabled in the event of an emergency.you said that you didn't work for the club,which means you wouldn't be trained on what to do in an emergency.
No, that's not the conversation we had. This is:

I'm pretty sure there are procedures in place to safely evacuate people from the stadium, otherwise we wouldn't have a safety certificate.
Is there? If there is, you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have.
If by 'we have' you meant to say that you have got procedures, then you should have said 'there is/are' (referring to my question 'is there?'). But you said 'we have', which suggests you were referring to my point 'you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have'.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
No, that's not the conversation we had. This is:

If by 'we have' you meant to say that you have got procedures, then you should have said 'there is/are' (referring to my question 'is there?'). But you said 'we have', which suggests you were referring to my point 'you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have'.

All disabled people that come into my away stand are informed of what would happen and how we would get them out in the event of an emergency,every couple of games I ask the stewards in my briefing various questions involving what to do if we had to evacuate the stand and what all the code colours mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here