Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

35,000 Capacity at the Amex?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Which sort of moron plans to put a disabled section on the upper tier?

1) Less room for expensive seats
2) Gotta be a mission getting people up there, even if there is a lift
3) In an emergency (e.g. fire) how does one transport a number of wheelchairs down loads of steps if the lifts are out of action and the stairs are already crowded full of people running for their lives?

Yeah you're right. Get those selfish buggers back down behind the goal where they belong. Draining our profit with their space hogging, luxurious views.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah you're right. Get those selfish buggers back down behind the goal where they belong. Draining our profit with their space hogging, luxurious views.
They don't even need seats.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
They don't even need seats.

That's the thing with the disableds. They want everything that us clever-enough-to-walk-people have and more! Well they can get bent if you ask me!

Why don't they just not come to football matches at all. It would be much easier. That way, we could build a better stadium for normal people and the club would get more ticket money. It's a win win.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

3) In an emergency (e.g. fire) how does one transport a number of wheelchairs down loads of steps if the lifts are out of action and the stairs are already crowded full of people running for their lives?

Point three is somewhat valid (if true*); the rest though is absolute trash. How'd you like to be wheelchair bound, and forced to be stuck behind a goal? *Also, I'm pretty sure there are procedures in place to safely evacuate people from the stadium, otherwise we wouldn't have a safety certificate.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I watched it, and the presenter whoever he was, was a buffoon. Virgo should have corrected the twit.

The quote about the 35,000 came from match commentator Daniel(?) Mann and the Reading gaffes were made by presenter George(?) Gavan.

I, too, wonder where this guff about 35,000 came from. It's not the first time, so maybe someone from Sky and other TV companies should correct their notes and be more diligent in their research.
Unless of course they really do know something that we don't.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My understanding is that whilst seats could be added, but the costs would be significant and difficult to see a payback. Whether it's a north upper and shifting the storage / office space in.the void or significantly amending the roof ( which is a huge job)

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
That's the thing with the disableds. They want everything that us clever-enough-to-walk-people have and more! Well they can get bent if you ask me!

Why don't they just not come to football matches at all. It would be much easier. That way, we could build a better stadium for normal people and the club would get more ticket money. It's a win win.

Getting close to the knuckle now ;)ironic

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire

Who said anything about behind behind a goal? It's true. Could get plenty more seats up there. Whats wrong with having someone in a wheelchair in the front row of the lower tier? or even back row lower tier via a disabled-friendly entrance ramp / lift or something?? They still get to go to see the game, can fit more fans in the upper and make more money from seats in the expensive sections. Win for the club, disabled fans don't lose any experience from it IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey he's serious!!

Yeah lets be like every other club and treat the disabled like second class citizens.
Wheel them out, sit them where they are almost guaranteed to get wet, or impossible to get to.

They'll be grateful for that, and won't lose any experience.

If we happen to have the best facilities for disabled fans it would be yet another reason to make me feckin proud to be an Albion fan.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Who said anything about behind behind a goal? It's true. Could get plenty more seats up there. Whats wrong with having someone in a wheelchair in the front row of the lower tier? or even back row lower tier via a disabled-friendly entrance ramp / lift or something?? They still get to go to see the game, can fit more fans in the upper and make more money from seats in the expensive sections. Win for the club, disabled fans don't lose any experience from it IMO.
You can't be serious?

*Also, I'm pretty sure there are procedures in place to safely evacuate people from the stadium
Is there? If there is, you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some of the comments here, whether made in irony or not, make you feel proud to be a fan. Glad we lift ourselves above the levels of supporters of other clubs.
I feel sure that TB, PB and the all of the others doing so much good work via AITC will be equally as proud.

Dec 29, 2011
Is there? If there is, you'd think they'd tell the disabled fans how they'll get out in the event of a fire, but I don't think they have.

Well they can't use lifts.. and there isn't a ramp. Might not have time to carry 10 (how many sit there?) or so people down lots of stairs. I'm curious to what the plan would be in the event of a fire.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well they can't use lifts.. and there isn't a ramp. Might not have time to carry 10 (how many sit there?) or so people down lots of stairs. I'm curious to what the plan would be in the event of a fire.
There's room for more than 10 disabled fans. Panic!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

And your precise problem with not wanting disabled people to watch from a lofted vantage point is what? Aside from feeling that only able-bodied people should have the best views in the house, that is...?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't be THAT surprised if there was some kind of scaleable solution to expand the capacity if need be. No idea if such a solution currently exists, but wouldn't be beyond the wit of man - with enough money chucked at it - to come up with a three tier stadium all the way round the ground. Either that or just pull the entire structure OUTWARDS. Maybe that's why there's vast tracts of tarmac all around the ground currently unused for anything other than a couple of club portakabins?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My understanding is that whilst seats could be added, but the costs would be significant and difficult to see a payback. Whether it's a north upper and shifting the storage / office space in.the void or significantly amending the roof ( which is a huge job)

It would clearly cost millions and would probably only happen if we had an Albion mad billionaire owner who bleeds blue and white and was keen to see us get to the promised land where we might actually fill it.

...Zing!

And if it did happen, it would look MAGNIFICENT - perhaps trumping Porto's new thing of beauty:

large_1149887.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There are escape plans, routes and trained personel, as well as disabled refuge points, just like there are in any public building, office block or shopping centre etc. I am sure that in the event of an emergency evacuation the procedures are compliant with legislation, which will also mean they are compliant with the requirements for the safe evacuation of everyone.

Of course you could choose to believe that in some way our stadium flies in the face of all UK and European law with regards "The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005" or the "FIFA Stadium Safety and Security Regulations" or the Department for Culture, Media and Sports "Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here