Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 years of Gus - on Radio Sussex now... (merged)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we had CMS and Murray we'd be top 4 right now. I have no doubt about that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But that's the thing. It was silly to sell Murray to get CMS. You need both. Or both types of player, at least. For me it's comfortably Gus's biggest error since taking over.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think the plan was to have both, as Hoskins came in for Murray. We offered Murray a contract, he refused. I haven't heard anyone say that he came back to us to tell us that he was being offered double up the road, and would we up our offer?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But that's the thing. It was silly to sell Murray to get CMS. You need both. Or both types of player, at least. For me it's comfortably Gus's biggest error since taking over.

Totally agree.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hypothetical I know but does anybody think that Gus would try to get GM in January and if so at what transfer fee. My view is that Palace would ask for a fee nearing that of CMS, so the answer would be NO. I think that a bid for Lambert would be unlikely but more likely than a bid for GM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

As has been said we didn't sell Murray but it was still Gus's biggest mistake to let him go, although we don't know about the financial implications exactly, only rumors and hearsay

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I said earlier in the thread, I think the plan was to have both, as Hoskins came in for Murray. We offered Murray a contract, he refused. I haven't heard anyone say that he came back to us to tell us that he was being offered double up the road, and would we up our offer?

Hoskins isn't really a Murray type player, is he? I hope he is.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hypothetical I know but does anybody think that Gus would try to get GM in January and if so at what transfer fee. My view is that Palace would ask for a fee nearing that of CMS, so the answer would be NO. I think that a bid for Lambert would be unlikely but more likely than a bid for GM.

hypothetical sums it up and not worth a thought

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So classy he came way behind Barnes and Painter in your favourite players. History being rewritten by some on this board.

Your Top 5 Current Albion Players

This. It always puzzles me. I took a big disliking to Murray when he was with us. I slowly warmed to him in the final season, but people seem to forget how poor he was prior to this. Yes, he's scored 13 goals so far, of which a big percentage from the spot.
I also remember people constantly moaning about how easy he would keep going to ground.

He was a sulking little shit a times who now plays for the scum.... Let it go, he's gone and he ain't coming back, i want someone who wants to pull on an Albion shirt.

Elliott Bennett on the other hand was a proper footballer who I'd take back in a shot.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This. It always puzzles me. I took a big disliking to Murray when he was with us. I slowly warmed to him in the final season, but people seem to forget how poor he was prior to this. Yes, he's scored 13 goals so far, of which a big percentage from the spot.
I also remember people constantly moaning about how easy he would keep going to ground.

He was a sulking little shit a times who now plays for the scum.... Let it go, he's gone and he ain't coming back, i want someone who wants to pull on an Albion shirt.

Elliott Bennett on the other hand was a proper footballer who I'd take back in a shot.

I agree with you, but for comedy laughs it would be fantastic if he run down the remaining 18 months on his contract and came back on a FREE.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murray is paid a fraction of many of the current Albion squad, and very much wanted to stay.

Gus thought he wouldn't cave in to a very affordable wage increase, to prove that he's the boss. Palace's gain.

And yes .... very consistent. Like many on NSC, have rated Murray as a great forward and footballer, before, during & after he left.

At the fan's day April 2011, he was mobbed far more than any other player. The fans knew he was quality.

Gus definitely boobed there big time.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Murray is not paid a fortune by CP.

They couldn't afford it for a start.

The wages figures are known, and they are surprisingly low. Gus turned the normal contract impasse into a battle he had to win. 'Nose and face'.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Most on here will never admit it, but Murray is a quality striker, now helping a progressive playing team (attack at all costs) edge to the PL.

He could have stayed with us for a few extra £. Galling.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Murray's goals to games record was almost constant throughout the 3.5 years of his contract though, which suggests he was not poor prior to the final season.

Is the Elliott Bennett you refer to the same one who put in a transfer request NINE WEEKS after signing a new and improved contract, or someone else?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Amen to that.

Murray had one good season with us with 22 goals and had some thing to prove with his contract coming to a end , Barnes the same season scored 18 goals and played less games. yes Murray had some good goals but gee he missed some sitters and penalty's too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here