Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 months to hold suspected terrorists - is it right ?

Is it right to hold suspects for 90 days ?

• Yes

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Over 14 days but less than 90

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Tony would be better off imposing the laws we already have. Labour are "banning" everything it seems and passing laws left right and centre only for most of them to be full of holes eg fox hunting that chocolate fireguard phrase springs to mind.

Still we wouldn't need a new "terror" law if we didn't go picking illegal wars with countries we left in a mess 90 odd years ago 1st time around.

For the record, anyone who reads the Sun as their primary source of knowledge can't really add anything meaningful to any political debate. Yes I am being a snob but with good reason - it's a comic and should only be read in the toilet so you can wipe your arse with it afterwards. And don't trot out that line "I'm entitled to an opinion, wattt'evvaa" because if your opinion's based on a load of shite it doesn't deserve to be listened too. F'ing hate people that come out with that line as the sole argument, when they're clearly talking bollocks based on bollocks.....
:censored: Anyway, Blair lost and bloody good job too.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
portlock seagull said:
Tony would be better off imposing the laws we already have. Labour are "banning" everything it seems and passing laws left right and centre only for most of them to be full of holes eg fox hunting that chocolate fireguard phrase springs to mind.

Still we wouldn't need a new "terror" law if we didn't go picking illegal wars with countries we left in a mess 90 odd years ago 1st time around.

For the record, anyone who reads the Sun as their primary source of knowledge can't really add anything meaningful to any political debate. Yes I am being a snob but with good reason - it's a comic and should only be read in the toilet so you can wipe your arse with it afterwards. And don't trot out that line "I'm entitled to an opinion, wattt'evvaa" because if your opinion's based on a load of shite it doesn't deserve to be listened too. F'ing hate people that come out with that line as the sole argument, when they're clearly talking bollocks based on bollocks.....
:censored: Anyway, Blair lost and bloody good job too.
I agree the Mail is a much better informed rear

chicken run said:
28 DAYS THE TORYS WIN:clap2: :clap2:

I don't mind Tories when they opportunistically agree with the Labour Left :lolol: :lolol:

We all know if Howard has been PM we'd have detention periods of two years without trial a la Gitmo, innit Chicken Run? :)

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
Benny

Not much democracy in sight for the 52 people who were made into Jam that day in July was there. Oh and just because my view is different to you does not mean I have a lower intellect than you.

Sorry to have the audacity to put a point of view across that does not meet your left wing, politically correct studenty views.

Have a good day.

And you have the cheek to suggest I don't put across my argument in a reasoned and well thought out way you f***ing hypocrite. The above is the reason I don't bother, cos it's impossible to discuss anything sensibly with you unless I agree with everything you say. That's why I said and I say again....

Gareth Glover is a fountain of fetid shit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Is is me or has the Labour party used this to get at Blair. Its been well documented that they dont exactly like the chap since Iraq.

If Blair was trying to push through free milk at schools again or you must help old ladies across the road or whatever he would have lost because his own party wants him out. Thats politics whether you are Labour or Tory never mind what might be good for the electorate.

My point is it dont matter what he was trying to push thru he was always on a loser.

In politics its all about point scoring now and not whats good for the electorate.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If anything this sort of legislation should help avoid following terrorists around and incidents such as the Stockwell bombing.

All the extra work they have on top of regular criminals etc. I think 90 days is useful so that they can mount a case. There is a complex web of extremists and no chances should be taken, when it comes to National Security.

As long as it is not abused then I think it is fair....

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Benny - fair play to your point of view but you made it personal not me as for Whiteley his argument back to my views were " gareth glover is a fountain of fetid shit " and I am the one being told I am obstinate and do not put forward my point well !.

Fair play to London Irish, I do not often agree with him but at least he puts across and intelligent reasoned argument is intelligent and does not get personal

" Whiteley is an Ocean of stale turds and disgusting urine ". Oh feck I have lowered myself to his level :lol:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
my main concern is that innocent people may get caught up / mis-identified, and lose any rights(?), while the police etc try to find, or make up, supporting evidence..

if they suspect someone, surely SOME background info would already be held...

If in doubt, shoot?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
London Irish said:
I don't mind Tories when they opportunistically agree with the Labour Left :lolol: :lolol:

I don't care whether it's opportunism or not. At least some personal freedoms remain protected from this meddlesome rabble of a government. 90 days would have been absurd. "We think he's a terrorist but we haven't enough evidence, can we have another 7 days?"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can I just get this right. Tony Blair wants to lock people up for 90 days without any evidence that they have committed any crimes. But at the same time he is hosting the Chinese President, a country that last year killed over 3000 of it's own citizens. Why does he not lock up that tosser instead?

m20gull said:
I don't care whether it's opportunism or not. At least some personal freedoms remain protected from this meddlesome rabble of a government. 90 days would have been absurd. "We think he's a terrorist but we haven't enough evidence, can we have another 7 days?"

Yep. But even I fell down in amazement and hilarity when I heard one of my favourite lines of "Police state" come from the Tory side of the House of Commons during Blair's speech. I never knew me and my ilk had made such an impression on Tory MPs :lolol:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
This is EXACTELY how Nazi Germany started!

...Oh hang on I'm on the wrong thread :dunce:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
It's all very well if they are terrorists bit the reason it was kicked out is that it would legitimise the police in kicking in your door in the middle of the night & hold you for 90 days without any reason than they suspected you.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
Anyone else interested to read the BBC news story today about the British couple held in Iran for 13 days without charge?

Disgusting, terrible, more reason to invade Iran, those naughty foreigners, blah blah...

And we just said yes to 28 days, allowing our bobbies to do just this... But for over twice as long.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4427096.stm I'd like to see the tabloids view of this, anyone know what they have said?

In the words of Bart Simpson, the ironing is delicious

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Dandyman said:
What a lot of shite. The bombs in London were about Iraq not whether or not people follow Islam. How many bombs have there been in Sweden, Germany, Or France ? All of them were majority Christian countries last time I looked.

Only just discovered this thread and there are some amazing quotes on here, but this one stood out for me.

The London bombings were about Iraq were they - interesting and not quite sure whether or not this is serious. So, if we hadnt supported Iraq we wouldnt have been bombed? You really believe that? Turkey, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, 9/11 for that matter. And strangely enough the three countries you quoted all have a major Islamic terrorist problem. Sure Iraq may provie a convenient excuse but these attacks, and others that have been stopped were all in the planning before Iraq became an issue. As others have stated the driving force behind the core Islamic fundamentalists is an attack against the Christian/western way of life not any specific event. Look at the guiding principles of groups such as Jemaah Islamiya - no mention of Iraq, or even Israel, but instead the development of an Islamic caliphate stretching from Europe to South East Asia and then ending of our decrepit society.

By the way - I agree though 90 days may well be a tad too long (but it isnt 6 months as someone else wrote). Then again there is also the thought that police/intel forces leave suspected terorrists on the street for too long knowing that if they arrest them they will only have 14 days in which to gather the key evidence together before having to release them.

Eastleigh Seagull said:
The London bombings were about Iraq were they - interesting and not quite sure whether or not this is serious. So, if we hadnt supported Iraq we wouldnt have been bombed?

As others have stated the driving force behind the core Islamic fundamentalists is an attack against the Christian/western way of life not any specific event.

You really must be the last person in this country to think this. Even Blair's ambassador in Washington at the time Sir Christopher Meyer, about as Establishment figure you can get, has ridiculed such myopic views as yours. Get a grip, eh, that second paragraph of yours in particular is straight out of the looney right-wing rhetoric of Bible Belt American conservatism!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tm_objectid...-war-fuelled-terrorism-at-home-name_page.html

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here