Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 months to hold suspected terrorists - is it right ?

Is it right to hold suspects for 90 days ?

• Yes

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Over 14 days but less than 90

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dandyman

In London village.
Uncle Spielberg said:
There are lots of people in this country who want to kill English people for being English , Christian and not avidly following Islam. In their minds its worship Islam and you will live, do not worship Islam and you must die. It makes me laugh people desperate to protect the rights of these people whp are the scum of the earth without thinking of the dire consequences.

90 days in prison is not going to kill them and if it saves 1 innocent life it would have been worth it.

What a lot of shite. The bombs in London were about Iraq not whether or not people follow Islam. How many bombs have there been in Sweden, Germany, Or France ? All of them were majority Christian countries last time I looked.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Its just one more step towards Facism in my book, it will allow the goverment to take off the streets who ever they want and for NO particular reason

If this bill is passed it wont be long before we hear Blair STATING that ALL crime is terror and in times of strife, terror laws can be applied in either case.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
These people want to kill you because you do not follow Islam, they are called Islamic Fundamentalists

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dandyman said:
What a lot of shite. The bombs in London were about Iraq not whether or not people follow Islam. How many bombs have there been in Sweden, Germany, Or France ? All of them were majority Christian countries last time I looked.

FRANCE Huh ?

your joking right ?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Uncle Spielberg said:
These people want to kill you because you do not follow Islam, they are called Islamic Fundamentalists

Thanks for that insight. Can you stop regurgitating today's Daily Mail now, please?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have never brought a Daily Mail in my life.

Dandyman

In London village.
REDLAND said:
FRANCE Huh ?

your joking right ?

France is constitutionaly secular but the majority of the population are nominally Roman Catholic, or did I miss the point of your post ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
There are lots of people in this country who want to kill English people for being English , Christian and not avidly following Islam. In their minds its worship Islam and you will live, do not worship Islam and you must die. It makes me laugh people desperate to protect the rights of these people whp are the scum of the earth without thinking of the dire consequences.

90 days in prison is not going to kill them and if it saves 1 innocent life it would have been worth it.

ok, you make a case upto a point. but how many will be locked up for 90 and found innocent/insufficent evidence at the end? How many of those will be slightly pissed? How many bombers will be stopped if the police dont actually have the right person/info?

What do you do when YOU or someone you know is detained under this act and held in prison for 90 days? its not just for islamic fundementalists you know.

edit to add: since when where the Police elected to represent us? The biggest problem i see with this is that the Police are demanding (and getting) more powers - who are they to dictate policy? And frankly if you cant bring charges within 14 days, you dont have much of a case.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That old boy who was ejected from the labour party conference hall was not permitted re-entry under the prevention of terrorism act.

Just because the Police want something does not make it right.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dandyman said:
France is constitutionaly secular but the majority of the population are nominally Roman Catholic, or did I miss the point of your post ?

NO NO, I was refering to the riots not the poulation..
:jester:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The rules of engagement changed on 11/9/2001.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
That old boy who was ejected from the labour party conference hall was not permitted re-entry under the prevention of terrorism act.

Exactly, and that incident should have every politian and voter against this extension

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Very interesting front page on the Independent today, basically disproving each of the arguments in favour of 90 Days' imprisonment that were printed in Assistant Police Commissioner Andy Hayman's letter.

The government want to imprison us for three months when the police can't prove we've done anything wrong. Shocking. IT MUST NOT HAPPEN :angry:

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
REDLAND said:
NO NO, I was refering to the riots not the poulation..
:jester:

Fair enough, but that surely is about social exclusion, unemployment, racism, poverty,etc rather than geo-politics ?

Dandyman

In London village.
Uncle Spielberg said:
The rules of engagement changed on 11/9/2001.

Really ? You mean the rule of law ?, the presumption of innocence ? free speach ? the right to dissent ? habeas corpus ?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I personally have no problems with the proposed extension.

What I can't fathom out is where you could keep a large number of suspects for an increased period of 3 months. No room in prisons (where majority of people awaiting a serious case are remanded), no room in Police cells (not even open Police stations in the suburbs and shires), no special holding camps (human rights mob would go ballistic).

I believe the Police want it for extreme cases, but the main worry will always be the Police abuse of any new powers (they are bad enough on occassion with the current powers).

On balance, I am in favour for security reasons, but would hope that any 90 day applications go before a judge or another objective agency for approval. Not sure if this is the process or not so it may be a forlorn hope, however these are extreme times and anything that could nip another tragedy in the bud has to be looked at.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dandyman said:
Fair enough, but that surely is about social exclusion, unemployment, racism, poverty,etc rather than geo-politics ?

No not at all the mainly Algerian Muslims causing the chaos hate the country that has afforded them a greater living standard than their birthplace ever could. They have been programmed from day one to believe that the West owes them big time, and this is only abetted by the establishment media and the liberal hierarchy in France.

Politicians and media mouthpieces have towed the rhetoric that somehow the state's ignorance of these individuals and their lack of care in providing them with adequate housing, health care and employment is the cause of the rebellion.

That in itself highlights the crux of the problem. The immigrants think the State owes them a living and are prepared to act as leeches and suck off all they can get with no return. The burden always falls on the middle class. France's six million strong Muslim population and its insane mass immigration policies is why French taxes are the highest in Europe.

The French have brought back curfew laws to tackle this, and what better curfew can you put on someone than to lock them up for 3 months with no questions asked !!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
If you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here