Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

280k - DK Confirms none on players

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It also sends out the message to LDC & FPC that we have money to fight them legally if they want to be spiteful and appeal a YES decision.
The sell on money won't be arriving in a big lump sum anyway but gradually.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
A couple of points.....
1. If Knight had said 'all the money will go into the transfer kitty' what would that have done to the price of anyone we were chasing?
2. If we hadn't received any money for CKR then how were we going to pay for the Falmer campaign - or were we going to hope something would turn up?

You should never show your hand voluntarily - only if someone pays to see it. Knight knows that, and with Tony Bloom around the scene he's not short of advice. This way we can plead poverty when dealing - but if it comes to the crunch we may be able to find a little more.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I'm going to say fair play to DK here. Yes, the money was earnt through the fans, BUT at the end of the day, I think Falmer is our main prioity at the moment.

Also, we would't exactly get all of the money in one go as Fenerbache is paying in monthly instalments, so were not going to get anyone that decent anyway from the money we recieve between now and the end of the window.
spot on comment. Falmer is the only issue we should be concerned about at the moment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some people really cannot think this through straight.

Yorkie is quite right this sends a clear message to LDC and anyone else how serious we are about Falmer (which is no more than you would expect).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
People should be congratulating DK for not giving into the Blades.

A decision by Knight to reject Sheffield's bid to buy out the sell-on clause for £125,000 at the end of the season, when the Blades were on the brink of relegation from the Premiership, has also been spectacularly vindicated

Albion Rob

Can't see why people are getting worked up about this. Yes, it's frustrating that we don't appear to be spending any of this mini windfall on strengthening the side, but then again, it was frustrating that we appeared to lose money on a player we had got for free. In the event we have managed to score more than 400k on a player who, for whatever reason, became irrelevant in our pathetic fight against relegation in 05/06.

Falmer is certainly the biggest issue within the club at the moment and it is right that we should be ploughing all our money in to that. It's certainly not right that we should HAVE to do it, but that's a charge for LDC and co to answer. Let's face it, if there were 9,000 people clicking through the turnstiles every week, we probably would have a better budget for players - sadly we're probably only looking at 4,500-5,000 most weeks next season - and that boils down to having to play in a rubbish soulless 'stadium' that wore out its novelty value in about 2004.

It's a long process but we have to reserve judgement on the situation until we get a yay or nay on Flamer. If DK has got it right then these awful, depressing seasons where every penny is being swallowed up fighting a group of people who are basically a disgrace to Sussex, will just seem like a bad dream in 10 years time.

If he's got it wrong, however....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
People should be congratulating DK for not giving into the Blades.

A decision by Knight to reject Sheffield's bid to buy out the sell-on clause for £125,000 at the end of the season, when the Blades were on the brink of relegation from the Premiership, has also been spectacularly vindicated

Don't be positive about Dick Knight's management. Stop picking out the good points. This is a bitching thread. Dick is useless :angry: He is beelzebub :rant:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You're quite right Rangdo. I'll move my positive thoughts elsewhere. :down:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...007.0.albion_windfall_nothing_for_wilkins.php

f***ing pisstake that is

Fans money , should be 50 / 50 minimum

What a lot of bollox

I think you'll find that it is the club's money and has been ever since the cheque from Coca Cola cleared.

You clearly have a total inability to look at the bigger picture-this club is SKINT. What is it going to take to help you understand that? Until the battle for a new stadium has been won we are never going to have enough money for players.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
You're quite right Rangdo. I'll move my positive thoughts elsewhere. :down:

Right, now Yorkies gone did anyone else hear the story about how Dick knight swears at young children? :angry: And I heard that he kicks young kittens. Ooooh it makes me so angry :rant:

KNIGHT OUT!!

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
You should never show your hand voluntarily - only if someone pays to see it. Knight knows that, and with Tony Bloom around the scene he's not short of advice. This way we can plead poverty when dealing - but if it comes to the crunch we may be able to find a little more.

Is the right answer....

People should look at the accounts ...we need to keep the club afloat until Falmer comes along ..and in the meantime juggle our resouces to make the best of a bad situation

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Don't be positive about Dick Knight's management. Stop picking out the good points.:

Nope ! I refuse to stop.
Congratulations to DK on turning the Coke money into a double benefit. We had the player - ok it didn't work out too well but we had him for a period of time. Then we got £150k for him going to Sheff Utd and now we have got a further £280k Total = £430k. And what is he doing with it? Allocating it to the one most important thing that every fan of this club should be focussing on - publicly at least because we don't know if there has been some re-allocation behind the scenes but in terms of PR this is absolutely the right move.
:falmerspi:falmerspi:falmerspi

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
A couple of points.....

2. If we hadn't received any money for CKR then how were we going to pay for the Falmer campaign - or were we going to hope something would turn up?

That's what I was thinking - surely there is a budget for the playing side and a budget for Falmer. This was a windfall so what would have happened the the Falmer budget if it hadn't turned up? Would the Falmer campaign had to stop? I don't think so! It would have been nice if just for once at least a bit of the money could go to the playing budget.

Of course Falmer is the big issue, but if the teams continues to be as crap as it has been the last 2 seasons there won't be anyone left to watch them when we eventually get our shiny new stadiun.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Of course Falmer is the big issue, but if the teams continues to be as crap as it has been the last 2 seasons there won't be anyone left to watch them when we eventually get our shiny new stadiun.

Once Falmer is agreed and the earth literally starts to move there will be a host investors interested in putting their money where their mouth is.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Im not denying its a good bit of business, and I back DK 99% of the time, but id just like to see some money (which we have) spent on players. I understand Falmer is the most important issue though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Im not denying its a good bit of business, and I back DK 99% of the time, but id just like to see some money (which we have) spent on players. I understand Falmer is the most important issue though.

Unfortunately you can't have it both ways and Falmer is more important

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think it may be a shrewd move by Dick Knight. If he came out and said we were goning to put £280K into the transfer fund, then suddenly any player we try and buy will want more money, and their club a bigger fee.

In a way i'm sure the money will filter down to allow the squad to be improved this season - just not directly up front, in your face, flashing a great big wodge of cash around everytime we try and buy a player.

Knight has been proved to be a shrewd operator in the past. I'm sure he knows how best to use the money in the club in the short-term.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its a difficult balance, with the way interest in lower tier football is going its VITAL we dont go down a division, we have to accept now that until Falmer is built we have to stay at this level or 'slightly' improve, remember we need better players to even be challenging for the play-offs, to get them we have to spend to then accumulate with bums on seats etc.

Even a Falmer yes wont help us short term if its another dismal season because there will be an inclination for some of the stay aways to just say, 'ah well, i'll go back when Falmer is built' and continue to stay away, new support isn't going to come to sit in a souless shoebox, they too will wait till its built.

The worry is that a 23,000 seater stadium in L2 would be a financial disater that would send us close to administration, because the overheads would be horendous with 8000-10000 crowds (if we were doing well) plus if we didnt actually own the ground its not like its an asset, it will belong to whoever is going to lend us the money.

The Bobbler falacy that the ground is free and ours once its built is dangerously naive.

Its all very well saying dont spend this money, but a balance needs to be struck, otherwise Mr Knight 'may' be remembered for presiding over the slow death of a club with a massive new stadium playing to small crowds in a division thats near impossible to get out of.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That's what I was thinking - surely there is a budget for the playing side and a budget for Falmer. This was a windfall so what would have happened the the Falmer budget if it hadn't turned up? Would the Falmer campaign had to stop? I don't think so!

Keep borrowing as we have been doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here