Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

280k - DK Confirms none on players

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
It amazes me how...whatever happens to the club financially or whatever lies that chairman of ours spins with his politician answers a lot of you just say..yeah well done DICK!

We need a couple of quality players or we could drop into the 3rd tier..then how much will that cost us dick???

This falmer excuse is wearing to thin for me.....and to be honest ive had enough of the way we are a tin-pot club with no money, that cant even compete with joke clubs in this league.

The money is the fans money and to put none of it into the playing side is a fcuking disgrace..dick your a cun*

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
I'm glad the tone of the later posts on this thread are more positive, I was quite shocked at the short-sighted naivety on the first page.

I agree completely that Dick Knight has done the right thing and I'm pleased he's come out and said where the money is going rather than leaving it to speculation.

Also, it's not £280,000, it's UP TO £280,000. Parts of it will be based upon appearances etc. It's not a lump-sum payment that could immediately be used for transfers.

Albion Rob

My best suggestion is that we get everything from the stadium to top name players and even the meat for the beef burgers on credit.

Once the stadium is buolt we could 'do a Leeds' and offer all our creditors a penny in the pound and have a good line up, a nice stadium and prime beef burgers all for about 85k.

Things are looking up - Premiership here we come.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nothing confirmed at all. It's just the bleeding Argus.

This falmer excuse is wearing to thin for me.....and to be honest ive had enough of the way we are a tin-pot club with no money, that cant even compete with joke clubs in this league.

If you don't fully understand the situation it is better to remain silent-otherwise you might end up making yourself look totally stupid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The worry is that a 23,000 seater stadium in L2 would be a financial disater that would send us close to administration, because the overheads would be horendous with 8000-10000 crowds (if we were doing well) plus if we didnt actually own the ground its not like its an asset, it will belong to whoever is going to lend us the money.

The Bobbler falacy that the ground is free and ours once its built is dangerously naive.

I understand that the ground is going to be owned by a holding company which in itself is owned jointly by the club and the City Council - thus meaning that the costs of construction aren't born by the playing side as they currently are. So you are correct in saying that it won't be an asset (so no planning permissions for supermarkets that attract the vultures again), but I should imagine that the holding company won't be particularly interested in turfing its tenants out.

... but back to the thread, its noticeable that its mainly the younger board members who are baying for blood. Do they not teach them anything about financial management at school these days?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im starting to turn on Knight and this is the reason why. he doesnt seem to be able to raise funds from anywhere except us. i could do that. yes there are costs with Falmer but they are supposed to have been covered. we are playing into the hands of those that say we cant afford it. management should be balancing the playing side too, and this deosnt seem to be happening. where were the costs going to be met from before this wind fall? the way we're headed we'll be seeing the first game at Falmer in League 2. 100k of that at least should go to buying in a couple of usful players that can help keep us at the right end of the table.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
im starting to turn on Knight and this is the reason why. he doesnt seem to be able to raise funds from anywhere except us. i could do that. yes there are costs with Falmer but they are supposed to have been covered. we are playing into the hands of those that say we cant afford it. management should be balancing the playing side too, and this deosnt seem to be happening. where were the costs going to be met from before this wind fall? the way we're headed we'll be seeing the first game at Falmer in League 2. 100k of that at least should go to buying in a couple of usful players that can help keep us at the right end of the table.

The playing budget was decided and Wilkins was happy with it. Why should that change?
If you can raise funds - as you have boasted in your post - well go ahead and do so. The Chairman will be delighted and may even offer you a seat on the board. We await expectantly.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
So ... which players SHOULD be sold to pay for the Falmer legal costs?

Or would people prefer the debts to mount to the point at which the Club has to go into administration?

Absolutely, what is the matter with people? Let Dick Knight run the club, it’s not easy and he has a difficult balancing act, but he ultimately decides our playing budget and knows the clubs finances. Its frustrating for all of us granted but Falmer is not a 'lame duck excuse' as suggested its and incredibly expensive reality and necessity.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If you don't fully understand the situation it is better to remain silent-otherwise you might end up making yourself look totally stupid.

That ship sailed a long time ago. :yahoo:

Falmer excuse wearing thin? Remarkable! The longer it drags on the more money we are losing. What is so difficult to understand about that, byf?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Need to safeguard clubs future, most important thing. This money will help.

Agreed. But in my mind, one of the best ways to safeguard the clubs future is primarily on the playing side. What the f*** is the point of having a nice shiny new 20,000 seat stadium if we're playing in League 2, or God forbid, even the conference or whatever it's called now.

Success breeds success, and the only way a football club can get success is on the pitch.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you can raise funds - as you have boasted in your post - well go ahead and do so. The Chairman will be delighted and may even offer you a seat on the board. We await expectantly.

no, i was saying i could sit back and take the season ticket and shirt sales revenue etc just like Dick does. so could you or half the people on this board. i expect more from someone like Knight.

let turn to it about, the budget for Falmer has been agreed, why should that change? and if we get though to say the 6th round of the FAcup, or one of our players is bought for 500k or a Brighton fan wins the lottery and donates a million to the club, should all the revenues from that be ring fenced away from Wilkins budget? Whats wrong with expecting a bit of balance between the clubs present and future?

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
The point noone seems to be addressing is the way Knight has ripped off the fans via the coca cola competition. He must have made about £400k out of it, when the prize was in fact for us to spend £250k on a PLAYER - we haven't done that (or rather we did, but only spent half the money, sold him, and pocketed the rest). Had we bought CKR of our own free will, I would be applauding Knight's business skill, but this is just mugging the fans of money that was morally theirs.

"ripped off the fans"? "He must of made"? Where do you think the money is? It's in the club, it's being spent on the club, it's not gone in DK's pocket. If through selling CKR on we keep the club afloat and get to Falmer are Coca-Cola going to be upset about it? No, it's in the best interests of football.

On top of this, don't forget that CKR didn't want to play for us any more, we had little choice but to sell him. He felt he was better than League 1 or even Championship football and to a certain extent he's gone on to prove it.

I think Coca-Cola will be fairly happy with the situation - they've help a young player get from the lower leagues to the Premier League and on to Champions League and probably International first team level and along the way helped out a club struggling to recover from being shafted by their previous board. Everyone wins.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can,t help but feel Dick Knight has sent a clear message to LDC. " we are absolutely flat broke.....we just got a £280,000 windfall, but we can,t spend it on players.We are so near to extinction financially, LDC will only need to keep appealing the decisions for a couple of more years (easily possible) and we will be history."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
no, i was saying i could sit back and take the season ticket and shirt sales revenue etc just like Dick does. so could you or half the people on this board. i expect more from someone like Knight.

let turn to it about, the budget for Falmer has been agreed, why should that change? and if we get though to say the 6th round of the FAcup, or one of our players is bought for 500k or a Brighton fan wins the lottery and donates a million to the club, should all the revenues from that be ring fenced away from Wilkins budget? Whats wrong with expecting a bit of balance between the clubs present and future?

DK does do more, a lot more. The balance is attempting to fill the debt (the black hole)
I didn't say budget for Falmer. I said it could be used IF a legal battle ensued. The whole purpose of LDC etc delaying and delaying is to try and make us go broke. They know that Falmer is the best of the nine sites but are trying to delay it until we cannot fight any more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here