Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

280k - DK Confirms none on players

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There is to a point - it was the club after all that negotiated the sell-on clause. So it was always possible we would have cashed in at some point. It's just that no-one was going to foresee when nor by how much. And don't forget, that £280k is isn't a nailed-on amount, it does appear to be by appearances etc, and with CKR's record for disruption, there is no guarantee of us getting that full amount.

Regarding your point about the club being in a worse state than is claimed, I would also be of the opinion that we are in a far more parlous state than is intimated. It's just that sometimes it doesn't do well to broadcast it to all and sundry; there is a time for discretion and a time for candour.

I guess so, but they didnt know if ckr would go for 1.2million or on a free.

I think that maybe if a little bit of the money was used everyone would be happy, but then again im not an accountant and would rather have a second team to watch:)p) than not.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Now Im not either way really on this argument, I can see the whole spend it on players thing as well as the be realistic argument BUT surely the budget was set out at the beginning of the season (before this money came in). Why not see it as an unexpected bonus and take a gamble with at least half of it? Sure keep some to fight the falmer battle which we all know is important but why not take 100 grand and put it as a bonus in the player pot? Then rather than seeing it all "disappear" into the black hole we may get a half decent signing out of it.

I agree with that 100%

Its a bit of a gamble but if you got a player in for 80k who scored the goals that led to promotion how much returns would 80k get you?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Does it not worry anyone that Knight has seen fit to allocate a lower playing budget for next season than for the last even though we only just avoided relegation in May? I only hope that Knight's assumption that Wilkins will be able to get more out of essentially the same set of players does not prove to be unfounded otherwise we are going to be in real trouble. I know that Reid and Hinsh should be back, and that we should have Charlie and Hart to make up the numbers, but the squad still has a real staleness about it that makes me fear the worse.

By the way, if we actually sign a proven striker between now and the start of the season (15+ goals a season), whether or loan or a permanent basis, I'll happily donate £50 to the REMF.

And yes, I do feel despondent today..

:cry:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Speculate to accumulate and all that jazz :thumbsup:

john_thomson_small_1.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Does it not worry anyone that Knight has seen fit to allocate a lower playing budget for next season than for the last even though we only just avoided relegation in May? I only hope that Knight's assumption that Wilkins will be able to get more out of essentially the same set of players does not prove to be unfounded otherwise we are going to be in real trouble. I know that Reid and Hinsh should be back, and that we should have Charlie and Hart to make up the numbers, but the squad still has a real staleness about it that makes me fear the worse.

:cry:

While it's always concerning that the playing budget may well have been reduced, the real test is whether that is in line with the other clubs in this division. Do we know whether Doncaster or Leyton Orient or Yeovil or Millwall or anyone else for that matter are having to do the same?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
While it's always concerning that the playing budget may well have been reduced, the real test is whether that is in line with the other clubs in this division. Do we know whether Doncaster or Leyton Orient or Yeovil or Millwall or anyone else for that matter are having to do the same?

Millwall appear to be a club on the up for next season as they finished last year so well. Yeovil will probably keep their squad together mainly and be going for the play offs again, Doncaster have a bit of money to spend AND a nice new stadium and if we are comparing ourselves to borient then it really is depressing times :lolol:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Millwall appear to be a club on the up for next season as they finished last year so well. Yeovil will probably keep their squad together mainly and be going for the play offs again, Doncaster have a bit of money to spend AND a nice new stadium and if we are comparing ourselves to borient then it really is depressing times :lolol:

I was just about to post roughly the same thing. If I were a fan of Doncaster, Yeovil or Millwall, I'd be very happy with their current squads, especially given how they finished last season. We on the other hand were absolutely dire in the last 8-10 games and I struggle to imagine how or why next season is going to be any different (and potentially it could be a lot worse) without some further improvement on the playing front. It still amazes me that we kept on Mayo and Hart and yet got rid of young P Hinsh who seemed a good prospect.

:(

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can't help but feel a little disappointment that some of the money we are meant to be allegedly receiving (after all the figures have only been printed in the Argus) isn't going on some of the playing side of things. But what has DK allegedly said? Well, he's basically said that the money will go toward Falmer...Now I don't know if I missed something, but isn't that more important that chucking money at a couple of half decent players who may score some goals which may get us into the play-offs?

If you're that pissed off with the way the club is being run then put your own consortium together and buy out the club - in other words - put your money where your mouth is and buy a place on the board - lets see you do a better job under the circumstances...

ack

Apr 20, 2006
I can see the arguement for Falmer fund,but surely that fund was figured into any player budget before this windfall happened??????? So this is money from the blue and should be used to boost ground/wages and transfer kitty or am I missing something.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
At the end of the day its a windfall that we have received or about to receive and the fact that the playing budget and admin etc has been sorted for next season ,it wouldnt hurt to perhaps invest half in team half in the Falmer fund. Its about expectations and the club by doing this seem to be sending out a message that the expectation is lower than perhaps we fans want . A half decent signing would perhaps send out the right message and expectation !.

Also i can understand the boards dilema with the black hole that is Falmer legal costs needing to be addressed .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that what 'irks' most people is the fact of DK saying about the budget being one of the highest in this Division and we see the likes of Millwall signing players and Gillingham saying they are going to sign 7 new players before the season starts and all we do is sign the same players who just avoided failure last season.

I would expect to see some movement in the transfer market in early July when (a) we have the Falmer decision and (b) the majority of players are back off of holiday and able to be contacted easily as those without contracts will be looking and their demands may become less.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Speculate to accumulate and all that jazz :thumbsup:

Speculation is gambling as explained on the other thread.
We bought a striker in February who had only ever scored 3 goals before with all his previous clubs. He scored 6 for us before his injury. How do we know what he's going to do next season?
You can get an ageing striker or spot a promising youngster in the reserves somewhere but there are no guarantees they are going to fit in with the team or give the return of goals that everyone is expecting. If it was that easy then all managers could do it.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Speculation is gambling as explained on the other thread.
We bought a striker in February who had only ever scored 3 goals before with all his previous clubs. He scored 6 for us before his injury. How do we know what he's going to do next season?
You can get an ageing striker or spot a promising youngster in the reserves somewhere but there are no guarantees they are going to fit in with the team or give the return of goals that everyone is expecting. If it was that easy then all managers could do it.

But I would say with this unexpected cash at least "gamble" with half of it and sign ourselves a striker/put it towards wages of a striker.

I know exactly what Bas Savage will do next year, he'll score between 10 and 15 goals and will not be as effective as if we were to invest 100k sensibly to top up the transfer money and go for a proven goal scorer.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Well the Albion have an additional £100k to find due to people not renewing season tickets. I think its a good move, the long term future of this club is more important than splashing cash on new players.

As for complete badgers comment that Knight has ripped us of, get a life mate. Knight saved this club from going out of business, got the club back to Brighton, has seen us win 2 Champonships and 1 play off-final. Not bad IMHO, but what the heck, he is obviously ripping us off and not looking after the finances of the club!

Also IMHO getting £150k plus £280k for CKR is good business. Well done DK!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The players budget was already agreed before we got/get this money.

Im happy for this money to go elsewhere other than on players if required.
When are people going to realise that until we get into Falmer we wont be spending money on players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here