Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

280k - DK Confirms none on players

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Can't be bothered to read all of it but looking at this one way is the club is losing money, This is a great bonus and will be coming in in small amounts over a period of time and is not completely guarenteed. Would you like the board to spend more money we don't have and put the club in more debt so we owe more in the long run or would you rather we still had a club that was stable?
I know my choice

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So ... which players SHOULD be sold to pay for the Falmer legal costs?

Or would people prefer the debts to mount to the point at which the Club has to go into administration?

Well said Lord B, what planet are you people living in? Money is money, and Falmer needs money more than anything else. They'll start building it soon. Just because Chelsea and Man U can buy whoever they want doesn't mean we can. Without the stadium we are nothing. Some people seem to think DK has a bottomless wallet. Why dont you buy some players if your so keen to spend.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I think we all just need to be given a little bit of hope that the footy might just be better than last year. Lets face it, we were crap for most of the season, doing the best we could given the resources available. The club were pretty much giving tickets away to boost the crowd as it would have been a huge victory for the anti Falmer brigade if we were being watched by 3-4000. Season ticket sales for the new season seem to be well down, and it will be difficult to retain those extras who got in virtually free last season unless the standard of football improves. If you want to get bums on seats, you've got to show some modest ambition and invest in the playing staff and a little bit of this windfall spent on the team would help to generate a more positve feeling.

At the moment, this is the most negative I've felt about a new season since we've been at Withdean and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The standard of our football over the last 2 years has been woeful and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Please Mr Knight, just give us a little bit of hope instead of a load of bollox about how we are aiming for the playoffs even though the budget is smaller than last year, when we were almost relgated!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
My oldest son came and visited me yesterday. Until this season he has been a regular season ticket holder and has been watching the Albion for the last 24 years. Because of his total dissappointment in the Albion he now only sees the "soundbites" etc in the Argus. His view on the CKR money not being re-invested in transfer market, has hardened his view to not watching the Albion.There are many reasons for the decision by Dick Knight etc.....but the perspective of dis-illusioned supporters has been made worse by this decision. These are the supporters we need back at the Albion to remain viable.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
My oldest son came and visited me yesterday. Until this season he has been a regular season ticket holder and has been watching the Albion for the last 24 years. Because of his total dissappointment in the Albion he now only sees the "soundbites" etc in the Argus.

So are you saying that your son perferred to watch the albion play sh*t at Gillingham or at the Goldstone when Archer & Bellotti were in charge?

It never ceases to amaze me just how short some people's memories are!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So are you saying that your son perferred to watch the albion play sh*t at Gillingham or at the Goldstone when Archer & Bellotti were in charge?

It never ceases to amaze me just how short some people's memories are!

A ridiculous statement from someone of whom I expected better.I dont recall saying , or hinting, that my son preferred to watch the Albion play Sh*t at gliingham.He was incidentally a season ticket holder there also.I merely pointed out that after 24 years of watching the Albion, the continual lack of investment (or being careful with what we have) have finally driven him to the decision of not re-newing his season ticket this year and having a lack of interest in the club. This is happening to a huge number of our supporters.I,m too old to change my ways or allegiances now. But without these supporters filling the seats, I wont have a club to support at all.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
A ridiculous statement from someone of whom I expected better.I dont recall saying , or hinting, that my son preferred to watch the Albion play Sh*t at gliingham.He was incidentally a season ticket holder there also.I merely pointed out that after 24 years of watching the Albion, the continual lack of investment (or being careful with what we have) have finally driven him to the decision of not re-newing his season ticket this year and having a lack of interest in the club. This is happening to a huge number of our supporters.I,m too old to change my ways or allegiances now. But without these supporters filling the seats, I wont have a club to support at all.

OK I do apologise - you have some valid points, but the thing is, despite what happened last year, we've had worse seasons and played far worse and yet I feel some people seem to be overreacting at the moment.

We were never gonna set the world alight last year and next season is going to be tough, but when you get some people on here who are saying we are going to be relegated next year, even before the transfer window as reopened it really annoys me.

We're all fed up with waiting for Falmer and we'd all love for loads of cash to be spent on the playing budget as I expect the board do as well, but I just wish people would be realistic and realise that we haven't got the resources to just go and spend £300k on players!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
OK I do apologise - you have some valid points, but the thing is, despite what happened last year, we've had worse seasons and played far worse and yet I feel some people seem to be overreacting at the moment.

We were never gonna set the world alight last year and next season is going to be tough, but when you get some people on here who are saying we are going to be relegated next year, even before the transfer window as reopened it really annoys me.

We're all fed up with waiting for Falmer and we'd all love for loads of cash to be spent on the playing budget as I expect the board do as well, but I just wish people would be realistic and realise that we haven't got the resources to just go and spend £300k on players!

i also apologise for my opening statement.....frustration is getting the better of me......probably only get worse as the 9th of July approaches...!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, there is no way anybody in their right mind could have expected the entire £280k be spent on players. But given the fact that we've sold at least £2m worth of players already to pay for Falmer, given the fact that season ticket numbers have tumbled, given that we're a shit side after 8 years in this "temporary" location, and given the important point that CKR was won by FANS (and you could easily argue the entire amount should therefore have been ringfenced for players as a consequence) I really do think that a token amount should have been made available to the manager - maybe £80k would have been enough to keep most of us happy.

But anyway, these threads get on my nerves. The same old handwringers come out and attempt to belittle anybody who appears pissed off by the actions of DK and the board. DK is not the messiah. If and when Falmer gets built, I'm fairly sure he'll walk away with a tidy profit. I won't begrudge him that, he'll have worked hard to keep the club afloat long enough to reap the benefits of the good times. But I don't want to be belittled by people who know shit-all about the inside track for holding a different opinion on certain things. Because the fact is, he took over in 1997, and ten years later and we're still playing in a shit hole and are now truly a f***ing noddy club. I for one am disillusioned.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
But anyway, these threads get on my nerves. The same old handwringers come out and attempt to belittle anybody who appears pissed off by the actions of DK and the board. DK is not the messiah. If and when Falmer gets built, I'm fairly sure he'll walk away with a tidy profit. I won't begrudge him that, he'll have worked hard to keep the club afloat long enough to reap the benefits of the good times. But I don't want to be belittled by people who know shit-all about the inside track for holding a different opinion on certain things. Because the fact is, he took over in 1997, and ten years later and we're still playing in a shit hole and are now truly a f***ing noddy club. I for one am disillusioned.
Telling it like it is again. :clap:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
To be honest, there is no way anybody in their right mind could have expected the entire £280k be spent on players. But given the fact that we've sold at least £2m worth of players already to pay for Falmer, given the fact that season ticket numbers have tumbled, given that we're a shit side after 8 years in this "temporary" location, and given the important point that CKR was won by FANS (and you could easily argue the entire amount should therefore have been ringfenced for players as a consequence) I really do think that a token amount should have been made available to the manager - maybe £80k would have been enough to keep most of us happy.

rather well said:bowdown:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
simster is my hero

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
After all the serious debate yesterday and this morning on this subject Simsters last line and a half, really made me laugh.I must go find my sense of humour again.......makes life so much more fun..!

Because the fact is, he took over in 1997, and ten years later and we're still playing in a shit hole and are now truly a f***ing noddy club. I for one am disillusioned.

And In those ten years the club has returned to brighton. WON two consecutive league titles, WON a playoff final in front of 70,000 people in cardiff, spent THREE seasons in the championship the clubs highest league position since the early 90's. All this has happened with the Falmer albatross hung firmly round our necks, and the blighter is still there.

All in all I would imagine there have been worse and more boring decades in which to have been an Albion fan.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And In those ten years the club has returned to brighton. WON two consecutive league titles, WON a playoff final in front of 70,000 people in cardiff, spent THREE seasons in the championship the clubs highest league position since the early 90's. All this has happened with the Falmer albatross hung firmly round our necks, and the blighter is still there.

All in all I would imagine there have been worse and more boring decades in which to have been an Albion fan.

fair point, well made....but football is about the here and now. people remember the shite we were served up week after week last year instead of the Championships which were quite a few years ago now.

You must always rememebr your past, but live in the present

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
fair point, well made....but football is about the here and now. people remember the shite we were served up week after week last year instead of the Championships which were quite a few years ago now.

You must always rememebr your past, but live in the present

Quite, I wonder if Utd would have won as much if Sir Alex said, well we won a Championship 2 years ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My take on this windfall is that the club have always said that only when Falmer gets the green light the club will be able to access addition borrowing and funding that it cannot presently access.

This story should disprove the theory that the club already know of an imminent YES decision, because if this WAS the case they'd be spending the £280K now in the knowledge that they'd be having access to additional funds after 9th July 2007.

Personally, I think the club should be earmarking a portion of transfer fee income for new players because season ticket sales are dropping partly because we're not acquiring any exciting players that will stimulate interest.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This too is questionable Lordi. Why is the concept of 'investment' not an issue all of a sudden? Putting something on the playing field department would normally be considered worthy for getting a return on the gates, on our league position, on the present playing and managing staff, and on our future place in football.

That is what people on here are unhappy about. Whichever way you spin it, the bottom line is that fans want to see something on the pitch, on the day they pay to see a game. It certainly doesn't bode well for any future projects or ambitions if we don't show some ambition in the present day.

It makes me recall the days when we did have a stadium (The Goldstone) but only modest aspirations for bouncing around the old 2nd and 3rd divisions. Yes, we had a steady local team for 'trainspotter' type football fans, and the occasional 'picnic' types with a passing interest and not much else to do. But - the crowds were in keeping with that level of ambition, and a 32+ thousand capacity saw 4 thou coming through the gates. Around 12.5% of the capacity! Now, I realise those maths won't necessarily apply percentage-wise, as we have a cosier little ground, and there will still be more who will want to be accomodated for home games regardless.
That doesn't speak well for us as a League competitor though mate, and if any previous promises or statements have been reneged upon, anything else that is said is going to be regarded with doubt, a lack of faith, and ....a lack of investment from weary fans.

At last... someone who understands that we need to INVEST in the playing side too... so many on here just accept DK's quotes and actions as if they just can't be questioned... they can, and this latest decision and announcement is a big mistake... gates are dwindling and will continue to do so if we do not INVEST in the playing side... I said this in the Jan transfer window in the season we got relegated from the CCC... we failed to invest then, we got relegated, this in turn meant lower attendances, which means less revenue... we MUST break the cycle or we will find ourselves in league 2 or worse... Falmer will be worthless then...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember a "moneybags " buying the club a few years back ,when it was in a desirable location. Look where that got us.

This is a stupid point... one evil 'moneybags', doesn't mean any potential investor with a bit of financial clout is going to rip us off...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we all just need to be given a little bit of hope that the footy might just be better than last year. Lets face it, we were crap for most of the season, doing the best we could given the resources available. The club were pretty much giving tickets away to boost the crowd as it would have been a huge victory for the anti Falmer brigade if we were being watched by 3-4000. Season ticket sales for the new season seem to be well down, and it will be difficult to retain those extras who got in virtually free last season unless the standard of football improves. If you want to get bums on seats, you've got to show some modest ambition and invest in the playing staff and a little bit of this windfall spent on the team would help to generate a more positve feeling.

At the moment, this is the most negative I've felt about a new season since we've been at Withdean and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The standard of our football over the last 2 years has been woeful and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. Please Mr Knight, just give us a little bit of hope instead of a load of bollox about how we are aiming for the playoffs even though the budget is smaller than last year, when we were almost relgated!

Spot on! And you are not alone... many have voted with their feet already.... and more will do so if there is no improvement in the first team squad, and results do not improve...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here