Votes: 78 30.2%
  • Calling it for Biden

Votes: 180 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
AZ & PA seem critical... is that right? Just getting up to speed with what’s been going on.

Here's my summary from c45 minutes ago:
-- massive spike in turnout not translating into blue wave
-- Pennsylvania suggesting they are unlikely to declare until Friday. Michigan and Wisconsin won't for a while too
-- Those three are the ones most likely to determine the contest
-- Other potential Biden gains of Ohio, North Carolina and Florida look as though they're staying for Trump [think they've all been declared for Trump now]
-- Arizona looking very positive for Biden though. Nebraska might go his way too, which wasn't called as a swing state
-- Another bad night for the pollsters

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
But the Democrats don't have to do a single thing to shift their position though do they.

They can rely on their large cities to carry them and do sweet FA for much of rural America.

If the democrats position currently appeals to a majority then why would they change? It shows that they should win. Why should the interests of any one group be more important than another? That's how democracy works.

In reality of course it wouldn't be as simplistically static as you paint it. The republicans might try and shift position, to keep as much of their current vote as possible while also capturing enough of the current democrat vote (always responding to changing context and changing demographics). Or they may choose another option, to try and moblize current non-voters who do not feel represeneted by either party. In response the democrats would probably need to change as well in order to try and retain an advantage in the popular vote. In a different system, voters may behave differently (eg more people may vote if they feel their vote actually counts) so that would also need to be taken into account by both parties.

It certainly would NOT automatically mean one party in power forever. It would mean politics becoming more responsive to the majority of citizens.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To add:
-- Trump calling shenanigans already
-- in Biden's speech, he seemed less confident about Pennsylvania than he did about Michigan and Wisconsin
-- when speaking about Georgia, [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has it as I do, but also to add to that the rationale he offers for that is what I've expected to play out in the other key swing states

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
-- when speaking about Georgia, [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has it as I do, but also to add to that the rationale he offers for that is what I've expected to play out in the other key swing states

Which, in a nutshell, is...?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it's two.

Here's my maths on it:
-- in 2016, it was 306 to 232
-- you need 270 to get The White House, so Biden needs 38
-- Arizona still to call, but in the lead, that's 11 (so, if this comes in, another 27 needed)
-- the three rust-belt states are Michigan (16), Pennsylvania (20), Wisconsin (10)
-- two unexpected potential Biden gains are Georgia (16) and Nebraska (5)

So, if Arizona comes in, he needs 27 from those five states last mentioned

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Isn't it straightforward ? It's close. You wait till all the votes are counted :shrug:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
See post 374, but I'll go with the last votes to be counted are those in Democrat-leaning areas

Thanks. I hadn’t realised that the 300k lead referred to GA.

The next few days (weeks if the lawyers get involved) are going to be pretty ugly.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Here's my maths on it:
-- Arizona still to call, but in the lead, that's 11 (so, if this comes in, another 27 needed)
-- the three rust-belt states are Michigan (16), Pennsylvania (20), Wisconsin (10)

Nebraska's 2nd congressional district, and its one vote, projected to go for Biden, meaning Az, Wisconsin and Michigan would be enough even if he loses PA.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here's my maths on it:

Correction (I think -- please confirm on this if you know the situation):
-- Nebraska's electoral college is 'disaggregated', and the potential is that those 5 votes are split between the candidates

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nebraska's 2nd congressional district, and it's one vote, projected to go for Biden, meaning Az, Wisconsin and Michigan would be enough even if he loses PA.

Could be incredibly close. Poles (Trump spelling) so wrong

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nebraska's 2nd congressional district, and its one vote, projected to go for Biden, meaning Az, Wisconsin and Michigan would be enough even if he loses PA.

Thanks. Can you clarify the question in 394 (which would require a little more than you've provided in this post)?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, it's lovely how civil this thread has been overnight. One suspects we should enjoy that for now.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
tenor (1) (4).gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here