Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2.5 million animals killed in the UK daily, for food.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
a sad and ignorant post.

If you can't detect from my post that I am taking the piss then i'm not sure what that makes you. As it happens I really don't care about intensive farming practices or how livestock is reared, there are far more important things in my life to worry about than whether my pork chops had a chance to romp in the hay or if the chicken that laid my eggs had a chance to hang out with its mates in an open field. I'm not a huge consumer of meat but when I buy it at the supermarket I am not particularly concerned as to its origins, if it is a decent price and the quality is good then I'll buy it. I appreciate some people are concerned about such stuff and thats fair enough but I do get fed up with all the non-meat eaters taking the moral high ground all the time and being constantly outraged.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We evolved to have the ability to eat meat because during the ice age it was the only available source of food which could provide enough energy for us to survive.
:facepalm: We descend from primates that we can trace back 65 million years, and we haven't stopped eating meat in that time. We didn't just start eating meat be

We now choose to eat meat for no other reason other than it tastes good
That is incorrect too. Not everyone in the world has access to plentiful supply of veg.
in the process causing the suffering and murder of millions of animals.
You don't know what murder means do you?
Eating something for survival, like we did during the ice age, is a completely different ballpark.
Do you realise we're still in an ice age? Thought not.

when lifeless meat, identical to living meat in taste and texture, can be manufactured in factories, the thought of needlessly slaughtering and effectively torturing other living things will seem barbaric to the people of the future
It might become barbaric, because there will be alternatives, but that doesn't mean they'll think of their ancestors as barbaric because they didn't have the alternatives.

I do retract the word "evolve" as many biologists will tell you that we adapted to eat meat, rather than evolved to.
Only the thick ones.

Humans before the glacial period are believed to be scavengers living in a world rich with vegetation with a diet of mainly fruit, nuts, eggs and seafood - but not land mammals - it is only once the temperatures dropped and our traditional diet became scarce did we begin to eat meat out of necessity.
No, we had been eating meat for millions of years, well before we became humans. That some people had no access to meat, and temporarily lived off of fruit and veg doesn't change the fact that they had evolved as omnivores.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you can't detect from my post that I am taking the piss then i'm not sure what that makes you. As it happens I really don't care about intensive farming practices or how livestock is reared, there are far more important things in my life to worry about than whether my pork chops had a chance to romp in the hay or if the chicken that laid my eggs had a chance to hang out with its mates in an open field.

There is an enormous contradiction in this post. You start by saying you were taking the piss and then go on to say that actually you fully agree with your original post in all but it's intensity.

I'm not a huge consumer of meat but when I buy it at the supermarket I am not particularly concerned as to its origins, if it is a decent price and the quality is good then I'll buy it.

Ironically you will find that if your meat is of a decent quality it has usually been farmed in a free range and ethical manner.

I appreciate some people are concerned about such stuff and thats fair enough but I do get fed up with all the non-meat eaters taking the moral high ground all the time and being constantly outraged.

Didn't you say something about more important things in life to worry about?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm a meat eater too, but that doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true :)

Same here Mustafa however, there's nothing like a debate about the ethics of meat eating to bring out the beast in people!

I suppose in the past there would've been a huge outcry when someone suggested that eating other people wasn't ethical?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am a meat eater and I give a f*** about ethical food consumption. I accept you don't but don't lump me in with your fuckwittery.

Where did I say I didn't agree with ethical food consumption ? I was responding to the original idea that we should stop eating meat. You might want to learn to read a post !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Where did I say I didn't agree with ethical food consumption ? I was responding to the original idea that we should stop eating meat. You might want to learn to read a post !

You responded to a post about ethical treatment of animals without indicating that you were talking about something else (eating meat generally) i think it was fair to assume that you were commenting on the theme of the post and of the thread.

You might want to consider the possibility that the error was at least in part in the writing of your post rather than arrogantly assuming that the fault must lay with the reader.

Perhaps you should learn to write a clear post before criticizing others.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
We evolved to have the ability to eat meat because during the ice age it was the only available source of food which could provide enough energy for us to survive.

We now choose to eat meat for no other reason other than it tastes good, in the process causing the suffering and murder of millions of animals. In fact it would be economically more viable to not eat meat at all, not to mention better for our health.

Eating something for survival, like we did during the ice age, is a completely different ballpark. Many of us would eat a fellow human in extreme circumstances to survive.

Bacon tastes good, but we reject a lot of things that might feel good because they are unethical. Eating meat in the future will be no exception.

Are you a Jainist? (feel free to look it up), there are a lot of oddballs who are jainists.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] Usually I reply to your nitpicking, patronising and clearly inerudite replies - but that one is a bit too much, sorry.
You just have replied :shrug:

You call me patronising and clearly inerudite in the same sentence :lol:

You've posted your misinformed opinion as fact, so I've pointed out your mistakes. Our current ice age is about 2.5 years old (and counting). You state that we evolved to eat meat in that time. You're completely wrong, are we supposed to pretend you're right?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Back in the day Vikings didn't give a f*** about killing children, whereas today it is generally frowned upon...

Do you have special needs?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are you a Jainist? (feel free to look it up), there are a lot of oddballs who are jainists.

I have just looked it up and wonder what the world would be like if this was the major religion and not the ones that dictate so much of out global history.

I would suggest that the world would be a far better place if this was the case.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
a sad and ignorant post.

I'm not sure this is the forum for someone as serious as you. It was an amusing post and I would bet that the fifth column typed it with a smile on his/her face.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its not nitpicking to highlight that humans and ancestors were hunting and eating meat well before the last ice age/glacial period, and to say so ignores the populations of Africa and Asia that werent impacted by the glacial extreme.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have just looked it up and wonder what the world would be like if this was the major religion and not the ones that dictate so much of out global history.

I would suggest that the world would be a far better place if this was the case.

Just imagine how far medicine would have come.:facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not sure this is the forum for someone as serious as you. It was an amusing post and I would bet that the fifth column typed it with a smile on his/her face.

Thanks for your concern but i have managed to last nearly ten years.

As you will have noticed in he subsequent post he may have been 'taking the piss' but he actually agrees with the idea he portrayed. :Many a true word is spoken in jest" and all that.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here