Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club - Your thoughts so far?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Unlike others on here I WILL NOT complain. It is too easy to forget someone has spent £100m+ on a stadium which is there for the fans to enjoy. Frankly, the 1901 does what it says on the tin. We are into a nice little routine - turn up roughly half an hour before the match quick beer then in we go. After the final whistle back into the bar for another beer which allows the crowds to disperse and then we leave. The 1901 is a bit corporate but if you think I am going to moan about the extra revenue the club generates from this - definately NOT ME I'm afraid. In short - I'm love'n it and having been to the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean I'm glad I chose to do it!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unlike others on here I WILL NOT complain. It is too easy to forget someone has spent £100m+ on a stadium which is there for the fans to enjoy. Frankly, the 1901 does what it says on the tin. We are into a nice little routine - turn up roughly half an hour before the match quick beer then in we go. After the final whistle back into the bar for another beer which allows the crowds to disperse and then we leave. The 1901 is a bit corporate but if you think I am going to moan about the extra revenue the club generates from this - definately NOT ME I'm afraid. In short - I'm love'n it and having been to the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean I'm glad I chose to do it!!

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this post I will add that it is okay to comment and make suggestions. Azure/Elior and Paul Rogers are quite open to comment, do listen and do make changes based on feedback.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
It beggers belief the attitude being shown towards this loyal fan. Found guilty without any trial, any recourse, for doing nothing other than protecting himself and his friends and family...ALL this in a stand where the club knowingly let AWAY fans in who then caused the trouble in the first place!

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in a court of law. It's shameful. Thought our club hierachy was better than this, I'm curious as to why they don't even reply given their heavy-handedness. Dozens of people are ready to give testimony. Why won't they even listen to these supporters as to what actually happened? How can supporters assist this fan? Have the supporters club got involved? It's a huge carriage of misjustice according to everyone involved, which, ironically, didn't include the club!!

Totally agree with you Portlock. I was at the Palace game as a guest in 1901 and was sitting close to the gent who i have recently found out has got a ban. To get banned for asking an away fan to show some respect when in the home end is nothing short of an utter disgrace especially knowing this gent has followed and supported the club in the past. Will be more than happy to give the club my eyewitness account of what happened but seems they are just not interested. Makes me wonder if their is another reason they want this fan banned???

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
This thread needs to be kept at the top of NSC and also why are the Argus not reporting on this total disgrace, it does not sound like the albion at all. someone from the club needs to say what is going on here. The palace game has caused far too many issues with bad policing and now this !!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why are the Argus not reporting on this total disgrace,

Because the Argus never report, or question, anything which might be considered negative. They are more a PR vehicle for the club than a newspaper these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally agree with you Portlock. I was at the Palace game as a guest in 1901 and was sitting close to the gent who i have recently found out has got a ban. To get banned for asking an away fan to show some respect when in the home end is nothing short of an utter disgrace especially knowing this gent has followed and supported the club in the past. Will be more than happy to give the club my eyewitness account of what happened but seems they are just not interested. Makes me wonder if their is another reason they want this fan banned???

Is this chap banned from the ground or just the 1901 Club?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Seeing the PSL mentioned makes me wonder what happens to those who chose the £500 seat for 5 years. Do they have the choice to re-purchase the seat at whatever price the clubs set. Will they be able to revert to buying for the life of the stadium at this stage or will they forever be limited to 5 years at a time and a fee each time?

Double whammy potential. The season ticket price will take it's 1st hike in 5 years and you are at the mercy of the clubs pricing to keep the same seat too. If we are in League 1 or 2 it won't be an issue. If we are in the Premier League I can see the club asking thousands for a prime 1901 seat.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown for the £500/£1,000 options that were available.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went for the 1901 club for the simple reason that I was concerned that i may miss out on an ordinary season ticket by not being able to get to "my" presentation - as it turned out i was quite correct in this assumption so it was worth it.
I knew from the very start that there was a dress code - the guy said to me that it was basically no ripped jeans or shorts. I didn't realise that it was "collared" shirts - I wasn't told about it and as I normally dress in T shirts and trainers not to be able to wear those garments is a bit of a pain but it isn't insurmountable. It does annoy me a little though that the club are willing to charge you a fair whack for shirts, T shirts and other garments and that you aren't allowed to wear these items 50 odd feet above the shop !
However that, and the transport, are really the only moans.
I get a good experience from the 1901 club - people in the lounge are pleasant and all seem to be Albion fans. I haven't yet done the dining experience but just have a pie - I do wish there was more selection of food in the lounge though. My seat is great - wonderful view from it and the free programmes and coffee are welcome.
I do wonder if the Albion are going to have a major rethink about the 1901 Club what with the amount of real fans that took up the offer - I wonder if the corporate fans may all be moved into one lounge and then perhaps rules can be relaxed a little.
All in all I am glad I made the decision to do it.

D

Deleted User X18H

A flask is a flask whatever want to call it.

Haven't they got a proper coffee machine in there ? .. and how much do they charge for a coffee from a flask ?

The more I hear about it in there it sounds more corporate than luxury. Like a training day in Swindon where everyone has to wear a name badge and walks around with a branded note pad.

They don't charge for coffee. Yes they have got a proper coffee in there. I don't think you should worry too much about it. I wouldn't have thought the 1901 club is for you really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty sure its the whole ground for two years. Not sure. Does the guy post in here?

I wonder if he has thought about talking to the Argus, seeing as the club don't want to talk.

The 1901 Club is a legally binding arrangement for 5 years. I cannot see how the club can terminate this without sufficient reason. Do we have the full story? I appreciate there are witnesses to what happened in the stadium, did anything happen subsequently and/or maybe at a later date? Did the chap get abusive to Perry etc? I cannot help but think something is missing here.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
The 1901 Club is a legally binding arrangement for 5 years. I cannot see how the club can terminate this without sufficient reason. Do we have the full story? I appreciate there are witnesses to what happened in the stadium, did anything happen subsequently and/or maybe at a later date? Did the chap get abusive to Perry etc? I cannot help but think something is missing here.

Indeed. It does seem rather odd.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
guys,i spoke to the lad yesterday,i havent put too much detail,as of now he is going down the legal route,with the help from the football league,beleive me,has exhausted all avenues with the CLUB he loves,and i ,and many of his friends cannot beleive the way he has been treated.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
guys,i spoke to the lad yesterday,i havent put too much detail,as of now he is going down the legal route,with the help from the football league,beleive me,has exhausted all avenues with the CLUB he loves,and i ,and many of his friends cannot beleive the way he has been treated.

Only somebody who doesn't understand what it means to be a fan would hand out bans the way Hebbard does at the moment - it's a disgrace. I can only imagine the pain of being told i was banned from supporting MY team. Banning somebody is a MASSIVE deal, we love the club, it's a part of our life, and it means a lot to us. It shows a complete lack of understanding to simply issue bans without perhaps, at the very least, having a word with somebody first, or issues a warning if they want to get heavy handed about things.

You guys in the 1901 should organise some sort of protest at the Coventry match. Perhaps some sort of mass rule break or stick up loads of banners in support of 'the 1901 one' or start chanting something about this before the match.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Because the Argus never report, or question, anything which might be considered negative. They are more a PR vehicle for the club than a newspaper these days.

I think its a two way street. The club are getting very defensive at any perceived criticism and have had recent run ins with the argus other some quite innocuous things. I suspect the argus either doesnt know enough about the situation to report it or they have been put under some inordinate pressure to not run with stuff (the heritage stones, specific fan issues etc)

Not the way I'd like a free press to operate but perhaps they are picking their battles

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Good luck to the guy ! I was there that night and it was very passionate , even in the 1901 . The Palace guy was giving it all that after they scored the second goal i think and arguing with the guy behind (not sure which bloke this is who got banned) i think he just told him he should be in the palace end as he pointed that way , then the palace guy was arguing , his son next to him and a daughter i think . The Palace guy thought many corporate people were in there and did not realise that many were passionate Brighton fans and a lot of us got up and started giving him stick and advised the stewards to get him out , which they obviously didn't and caused all the problems . Another guy had a chat with him on the way out , and also another guy who argued that we should not have a go at the Palace fan (perhaps this is the twat who sold him the tickets ?) both were taken aside and card details taken , i gave my card details as a witness but nobody has said or asked me nothing. I even think the bloke and the boy were wearing something Palace on top.

I pressume this case has something to do with the Brighton guy being banned ?

WHAT A CRAP NIGHT !

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
only somebody who doesn't understand what it means to be a fan would hand out bans the way hebbard does at the moment - it's a disgrace. I can only imagine the pain of being told i was banned from supporting my team. Banning somebody is a massive deal, we love the club, it's a part of our life, and it means a lot to us. It shows a complete lack of understanding to simply issue bans without perhaps, at the very least, having a word with somebody first, or issues a warning if they want to get heavy handed about things.

You guys in the 1901 should organise some sort of protest at the coventry match. Perhaps some sort of mass rule break or stick up loads of banners in support of 'the 1901 one' or start chanting something about this before the match.

i am all for this !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not the way I'd like a free press to operate but perhaps they are picking their battles

I'm not just talking battles though. Naylor never even asks anything remotely probing and things which are in the pubic interest. Take the Dunk and Calderon 'rests.' At least ask a few questions and query the responses or give a personal take on things. We just get very bland reports of what has been said by the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not just talking battles though. Naylor never even asks anything remotely probing and things which are in the pubic interest. Take the Dunk and Calderon 'rests.' At least ask a few questions and query the responses or give a personal take on things. We just get very bland reports of what has been said by the club.

Ask him.

Online Q&A today at 1pm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think that the Argus needs the Albion far more that the Albion needs the Argus, so I doubt they'll be making any waves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here