Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15,500 Season Tickets at Falmer

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
:eek: The day we need more that 20,000 seats in the home end for a match against Carlisle will be a day to behold.

Why not give tickets to schools/scouts - as you said in previous post 100 kids 50% buy a burger, 50% buy a programme, 5% get a shirt/scarf, 10% persuade mum/dad to bring them back. (Cant be botherd to do the maths but its money that would have been otherwise lost due to an empty seat)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wasn't talking about after the match. I was talking about before and at half time.

Very rough calculation:

Say there are 15,500 season ticket holders who on average can make 20 games a season (most going to all, some hardly going to any).

That's 3 x 15,500 = 46,500 off the attendances over the season if they can't be bothered to give their ticket away.

Say on average these 46,500 people have 1 beer, half of them have a burger, half of them get a pragramme, 5% of them buy a scarf and 0.5% of them get a shirt.

Beer 46,500 x £4 (though i'd love it to be less) = £186,000
Programmes 23,250 x £4 = £93,000
Burgers 23,250 x £4 = £93,000
Scarves = 2,325 x £10 = £23,250
Shirts = 233 x £45 = £10,485

Total: £405,735 per season that the club could make if people can be arsed to give their spare ticket away.

From your figures, the club would only get a percentage of each item, bearing in mind that food and alcohol would be served by external companies.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On another slightly o/t note does anyone know if the South Stand (away end) can be segragated and have home fans in there - for instance if we play Hartlepool/Carslile who will not bring full allocation.

Yes it can. Falmer Project team have confirmed that.

Falmer Project Team: The south stand has been designed to be split in the event that an away club does not sell it's allocation. In that case around 1100 extra seats will become available for home supporters.

I disagree. There may be 500 people in the same position, if none of them gave their tickets away the club would probably sell 250 less programmes and the atmosphere would be worse, thus affecting the performance of the team and the enjoyment of others there. This in turn could affect their decision on whether or not to come to another game. At Falmer there will also be other sales to consider, particularly beer.

As I mentioned before, the purchase of a season ticket is my contribution towards financially supporting the club and that seems to be the rationale for many of the other STH's that sit near me. I do not buy one to subsidise/pay for someone else's saturday afternoon entertainment, they can buy a ticket through the normal club channels.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The fact this thread has run and run and has such differing views shows the guess work in terms of finding the correct capacity for Falmer. The club has to balance between creating the right stadium in terms of it not looking dserted and half full against maximising revenue and getting as many people in as possible.

Personally I think 22,000 is enough, I don't want us to have a 30,000 stadium that will likely after the initial novelty factor has worn off will be less than half full.
You say that, but our support could conceivably be comparible to that of Southampton after a few years of sustained success. Their crowds "dipped" to 14,500 in their 32,000 all seater, but a half empty stadium can still generate a reasonable atmosphere.

It'll be a long time before Falmer crowds dip below 10,000, I'm fairly confident of that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As I mentioned before, the purchase of a season ticket is my contribution towards financially supporting the club and that seems to be the rationale for many of the other STH's that sit near me. I do not buy one to subsidise/pay for someone else's saturday afternoon entertainment, they can buy a ticket through the normal club channels.

But a lot of people won't! I bring friends to Withdean occasionally who support Villa / Arsenal / Palace (!) / No-one. They'd all like a few pints and will sing more than half of the people in D block but they don't want to pay for a ticket.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You say that, but our support could conceivably be comparible to that of Southampton after a few years of sustained success. Their crowds "dipped" to 14,500 in their 32,000 all seater, but a half empty stadium can still generate a reasonable atmosphere.

It'll be a long time before Falmer crowds dip below 10,000, I'm fairly confident of that.

MK Dongs' stadium looked REALLY empty, but we don't know what the actual crowd was do we?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You say that, but our support could conceivably be comparible to that of Southampton after a few years of sustained success.

That's the big issue, if the team is doing well the crowds will come.

It happened when we moved to Withdean, there was a wave of optimism and unless you were a STH you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money. When the team got those promotions I've no doubt we would've sold out falmer every week had we been there at the time.

As it was, Withdean was too small to sustain football at that level and we couldn't ride the wave of success we were on. The playing budgets just weren't enough, with a bigger ground we might have been able to afford Sidwell, Ingimarsson or McShane.

We need that wave to happen again because this time we'll have the buget to sustain it.

The flip side is that we move to Falmer and in the third season we are still mid table in league 1, then I expect there to be about 10,000 rattling around the stands.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wasn't talking about after the match. I was talking about before and at half time.

Very rough calculation:

Say there are 15,500 season ticket holders who on average can make 20 games a season (most going to all, some hardly going to any).

That's 3 x 15,500 = 46,500 off the attendances over the season if they can't be bothered to give their ticket away.

Say on average these 46,500 people have 1 beer, half of them have a burger, half of them get a pragramme, 5% of them buy a scarf and 0.5% of them get a shirt.

Beer 46,500 x £4 (though i'd love it to be less) = £186,000
Programmes 23,250 x £4 = £93,000
Burgers 23,250 x £4 = £93,000
Scarves = 2,325 x £10 = £23,250
Shirts = 233 x £45 = £10,485

Total: £405,735 per season that the club could make if people can be arsed to give their spare ticket away.

are you talking about people giving them away or asking for a contribution to the cost

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I do not buy one to subsidise/pay for someone else's saturday afternoon entertainment, they can buy a ticket through the normal club channels.

absolutely

But a lot of people won't! I bring friends to Withdean occasionally who support Villa / Arsenal / Palace (!) / No-one. They'd all like a few pints and will sing more than half of the people in D block but they don't want to pay for a ticket.

So, in summary, some of your mates and an intinerant Palace fan would like to come along to Withdean with you but would like me and some other STH's to provide you with free tickets on the basis that you can all sing a bit?
Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, maybe next time you should call Paul in the ticket office or Ken Brown and see if they can help you out.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So, in summary, some of your mates and an intinerant Palace fan would like to come along to Withdean with you but would like me and some other STH's to provide you with free tickets on the basis that you can all sing a bit?
Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, maybe next time you should call Paul in the ticket office or Ken Brown and see if they can help you out.

Personally if I don't use my ST I give it to one of my mates for the nominal price of a couple of beers the next time they see me. I've never even considered that it's doing the club out of money, it's just a normal thing to do. I'm not going to make my friends/family pay for a ticket when I've got a spare.

I wouldn't just give it away to anyone though.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Personally if I don't use my ST I give it to one of my mates for the nominal price of a couple of beers the next time they see me. I've never even considered that it's doing the club out of money, it's just a normal thing to do. I'm not going to make my friends/family pay for a ticket when I've got a spare.

I wouldn't just give it away to anyone though.

Is exactly the way I play it. No profit for me but the seat only goes to people I know.

I dont want my seat to get wasted but I like the people who sit around me so only give the ticket away if i'm happy the person taking my place isnt a complete twonk.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You would rather leave your seat empty then?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Is exactly the way I play it. No profit for me but the seat only goes to people I know.

I dont want my seat to get wasted but I like the people who sit around me so only give the ticket away if i'm happy the person taking my place isnt a complete twonk.

Agree with this. Certainly wont chance giving to any random non-Albion fan who likes his pints. If they wont pay for their tickets then they simply dont deserve to see the game. End of.
Alternative is always to sell it (too cheaply) on here on REMF's behalf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here