Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£100m Super-Mosque!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
barney said:
imagine the consequences if we built a cathedral larger than mecca over there. this is a mockery.

I think it should be built with a giant revolving prayer mat, Imagine the fun and confusion when they all bow to mecca and find it's been turned the other way round! :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
barney said:
imagine the consequences if we built a cathedral larger than mecca over there. this is a mockery.

But don't we pride ourselves on being a different nation and following a completely different cultural regime?

Just becuase someone does something, doesn't mean it is fine to do nthat to someone else.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
British Bulldog said:
I think it should be built with a giant revolving prayer mat, Imagine the fun and confusion when they all bow to mecca and find it's been turned the other way round! :lolol:

and maybe a ladies night on a friday!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Race said:
and maybe a ladies night on a friday!

With a free wash & blowdry and manicure chucked in! I think your onto a winner there race.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Barrel of Fun said:
But don't we pride ourselves on being a different nation and following a completely different cultural regime?

Just becuase someone does something, doesn't mean it is fine to do nthat to someone else.

if everyone is banging on about religion..maybe it does. does it not say in the bible, "an eye for an eye"??

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
barney said:
if everyone is banging on about religion..maybe it does. does it not say in the bible, "an eye for an eye"??

That is twisting the bible to meet your agenda. I really don't see the problem in building this mosque. It is privately financed and the vast majority of Muslims are law abiding citzens. YOu would have a point if they were nazi's.

NB I am agnostic.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
fair play, but i think having a mosque larger than st pauls cathedral in our capital city is a mockery of our once proud nation. and the idea of it angers me no end. this is all i have to say on the subject.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
barney said:
fair play, but i think having a mosque larger than st pauls cathedral in our capital city is a mockery of our once proud nation. and the idea of it angers me no end. this is all i have to say on the subject.

Fair enough. Despite spending a fair amount of my young life in chapel ( :yawn: ) I don't see the church as defining/representing our nation. I don't think size matters. What makes (made?) Britain great, was the fact that we are/were an accepting and friendly nation. That seems to have gone down the tubes of late!

From The Muslim News
Friday 30 March 2007 - 11 Rabi' al-Awwal 1428

Proposed mosque near Olympic village under attack

By Elham Asaad Buaras

The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) told The Muslim News the planning permission for Britain’s largest mosque is “expected to proceed in autumn.” A report by the Sunday Telegraph on February 18, said the Government plans to block the mosque in West Ham, East London, fearing that it would “damage community relations or impede the preparations for the landmark (2012) Olympics.”

A DCLG spokesperson confirmed “no decision has been made until that (autumn) deadline” to Newham Council. According to the ST, “A senior security source further told the paper that he was concerned about the proposed mosque, and expected ministers to use their powers turn down the planning application.”

The construction plans for the 18-acre site was agreed in principle in a 2001 deal between Newham Council and Tablighi Jamaat (TJ), whose charitable trust, the Anjuman-e-Islahul Muslimeen bought the land in 1996. TJ has been using a temporary mosque on the Abbeymills site since.

The futuristic looking mosque, designed by the award-winning architects MYAA, will be surrounded by a garden, residential school for 500 pupils with playing field.

Organisers disputed circulating claims that the mosque will have a 70,000 capacity (only 10,000 fewer than the Olympic stadium), the mosque will accommodate only 12,000 people.

Planners have also promised a visitor and conference centre, reception centre for visiting VIPs, including about 20 guest suites, extensive decontamination of the site (from its former chemical factory days). Addressing environmental concerns the trustees said there would be “Retention of natural habitat on unique island location within the site” and, “Extensive use of natural resources to reduce energy consumption and increase recycling.”

Leading the campaign against the mosque is Alan Craig, a Newham councillor for the Christian People’s Alliance Party for Canning Town South ward. In an interview with The Muslim News, Craig voiced his objection on various grounds but it was primarily based on what he alleges the group’s “radicalisation of youths” and “Saudi Wahhabi” funding. Craig described TJ “intolerant, separatist and isolationist on geographic term sect within Islam that radicalised young men like shoe bomber Richard Reed and Siddique Khan.”

Leading researcher into Muslims in Britain, Dr Sophie Gilliat-Ray, of Cardiff University’s Islam-UK Research Centre, dismissed allegations that TJ is an extremist group. Citing the work of renowned Islamic scholar, Yoginder Sikand, Dr Gilliat-Ray described TJ as a “loosely structured non-political, pietistic, Muslim missionary movement” with the aim of “developing God consciousness, or taqwa among Muslims.”

Former CIA official Graham Fuller described TJ as a “peaceful and apolitical preaching-to-the-people movement,” and according to Jamal J Ellias, Professor of Religion at Amherst College, “the Tablighis formally and actively believe that traveling to engage in missionary activity fully discharges any religious obligation to engage in Jihad.”

On a domestic level, Dr Gilliat-Ray questioned the “Saudi Wahhabi” link insisting the majority of TJ’s British followers were from the Indian subcontinent.

Craig also dismissed planners’ promise that the mosque would become an Olympics hub for both Muslim and non-Muslim athletes and spectators. He said, “The designer (Ali) Mangera has been using socially inclusive language....but he’s quite open if you look at architectural journals around the concept of d’awa, invitation to Islam. So let’s not try to kid everybody that this is going to be some kind of neutral ground.”

Craig suggested the group be probed further on the question of inclusiveness, “Let’s ask how many women will the have on their management committee? I simply don’t believe it”.

Tellingly Craig conceded he would object to the project even if it was not run by TJ, “We don’t want a mosque, we don’t want a church, we don’t want anything like that if we’re going to a have something that big to force the infrastructure then let’s have a hospital if we’re going to force the roads and change the surrounding area.”

A concern shared by the London Mayor’s economic arm, the London Development Agency. A spokesperson for the agency told The Muslim News its interest lay solely with “possible impact on access to the Olympic park site. The proposals could affect the flow of people traveling to and from the park and public transport links.” She added, “A small part of the site is needed to build a ramp from West Ham station into the Olympic Park.”

Answering those concerns mosque trustees have promised the provision of, “Car parking for a maximum of 650 cars, a new entrance to West Ham tube station, generous provision for cyclists” and a “desire to work closely with TfL and bus companies.”

A spokesman for the group told The Muslim News many of the media claims have “been somewhat exaggerated.”

Solad Mohammed of the TJ, said, “We are committed to working in Newham and we are delighted to be taking our vision forward in providing a new mosque for the benefit of all those who follow the Muslim faith. We are looking for leading Architects to design the building. While we appreciate that the media would be interested in our plans, recent coverage has been wildly exaggerated. We do not expect to be making any formal applications until the autumn at the earliest.”

Nick Kilby of the lobbying firm Indigo Public Affairs which is representing the trustees addressed each accusation made by Cllr Craig. On the Saudi Wahabi funding claims he told The Muslim News, “They (TJ) have no links they have no expectation from any overseas funding for this project. If they are made an offer and that offer is appropriate they may well consider it.”

Reinforcing Dr Gilliat-Ray vindication of the group, Indigo Public Affairs insisted their clients “don’t knowingly have any links to (would-be shoe bomber) Richard Reed or anyone else.”

“On a Friday night those people may or may not have visited Dewsbury (mosque). But there is no evidence, no knowledge,” said Kilby.

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Barrel of Fun said:
Fair enough. Despite spending a fair amount of my young life in chapel ( :yawn: ) I don't see the church as defining/representing our nation. I don't think size matters. What makes (made?) Britain great, was the fact that we are/were an accepting and friendly nation. That seems to have gone down the tubes of late!

we ARE an accepting friendly nation. unfortunately we have been taken advantage of in a massive way which has been for the worse

Dear all,

I know the Mosque present site and the future site. We are talking about redundant land waiting to be reclaimed.

Craig is generally a racist tosser. As with all racist tossers, he is a moronity.

AS I have stated on previous posts on East London and Muslims in particular. East London has a very large Muslim polpulation, I would imagine outside of the main Muslim Countries, it has the biggest Muslim population in the world. Stratford is at the epi-centre of the population.

The area already has a number of Mosques, meeting the needs of different faiths. We also have a vibrant Christian community, utilising churches, old factory buildings and even shops. In some respects going back to the origins of Christianilty, before the building of mega religious buildings that imposed religion on people.

In some respects I look at this Mosque as meeting the local need just like a superstore, instead of a corner shop. You like them or not.

St. Pauls was built to meet the needs of Londoners at that time 1666 onwards. Other churches have been built to meet surplus demand. This Mosque is being built to meet local and sub-regional demand in a mainly and I stress mainly Muslim area.

You will note that Newham Council is not holding elections this year, they are held every four years, the last time, the Labour Party was again voted in with a huge majority. I have not looked at the stats for this post, but its like 50+ out of 60 odd Councillors. At ther last election, Some of the old abour seats did go the Christian party.

If you know the Council a large number of the Labour Group are Muslims. This Mosque will go through, it won't piss local people off apart from a few Little Englanders, who want to keep the UK white and English and Church oF england?.

And really the government should keep its appeal to Middle Englander out our area, we are not middle England.

Though if the Telegraph quote was from the Govt, it would be from Ruth Kelly, who isn't actually a liberal on religion, and frankly does not believe in diversity or equality.

But our Ken is not putting any money into this scheme, it is not appropriate for the Mayor of London, it is not necessary, but we do need to build this ramp to move people from West Ham station safely and quickly to the Olympic Zone.

LC

Last edited:

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
London Calling said:
Dear all,

I know the Mosque present site and the future site. We are talking about redundant land waiting to be reclaimed.

Craig is generally a racist tosser. As with all racist tossers, he is a moronity.

AS I have stated on previous posts on East London and Muslims in particular. East London has a very large Muslim polpulation, I would imagine outside of the main Muslim Countries, it has the biggest Muslim population in the world. Stratford is at the epi-centre of the population.

The area already has a number of Mosques, meeting the needs of different faiths. We also have a vibrant Christian community, utilising churches, old factory buildings and even shops. In some respects going back to the origins of Christianilty, before the building of mega religious buildings that imposed religion on people.

In some respects I look at this Mosque as meeting the local need just like a superstore, instead of a corner shop. You like them or not.

St. Pauls was built to meet the needs of Londoners at that time 1666 onwards. Other churches have been built to meet surplus demand. This Mosque is being built to meet local and sub-regional demand in a mainly and I stress mainly Muslim area.

You will note that Newham Council is not holding elections this year, they are held every four years, the last time, the Labour Party was again voted in with a huge majority. I have not looked at the stats for this post, but its like 50+ out of 60 odd Councillors. At ther last election, Some of the old abour seats did go the Christian party.

If you know the Council a large number of the Labour Group are Muslims. This Mosque will go through, it won't piss local people off apart from a few Little Englanders, who want to keep the UK white and English and Church oF england?.

And really the government should keep its appeal to Middle Englander out our area, we are not middle England.

Though if the Telegraph quote was from the Govt, it would be from Ruth Kelly, who isn't actually a liberal on religion, and frankly does not believe in diversity or equality.

But our Ken is not putting any money into this scheme, it is not appropriate for the Mayor of London, it is not necessary, but we do need to build this ramp to move people from West Ham station safely and quickly to the Olympic Zone.

LC

OK, the mosque is to be in the centre of a large Muslim population and on a Brownfield site- fine, it will help regenerate the area and I suppose create low and semi-skilled jobs through its construction. What are the other implications that need to be considered when building an 'arena' that is on the same scale as the Millennium Stadium. Traffic? congestion? pollution? infrastructure improvements? I am not aware that there is a shortage of mosques in London and so what is the need for this?

More importantly, the fact that it may be linked with radical clerics from Saudi Arabia is very worrying in my mind. Now I know that you are very sympathetic towards extremist muslims and you try to humanise them but, believe it or not, inciting racial hatred is in fact illegal in this country, and close tabs should be kept on those running these kind of establishments- now, and after (IF) the mosque is built.

But I suppose showing concern in this matter (my own safety as well as the safety of the geneal public) makes me a moron, bigot, little englander or what ever you are going to reply with ('Daily Mail reader', perhaps?).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If the Muslims feel the necessity to have more mosques (there are already far too many) I suggest they go and live in a Muslim country.

When I lived in Doha there was one on every corner ... the Qatari equivalent of pubs in Ireland.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
goldstone said:
If the Muslims feel the necessity to have more mosques (there are already far too many) I suggest they go and live in a Muslim country.

When I lived in Doha there was one on every corner ... the Qatari equivalent of pubs in Ireland.

Are you a Christian?

If so can you please leave this Pagan country.

Cheers.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Re: Re: £100m Super-Mosque!!

goldstone said:
This is nothing to do with being christians or lions. I'm an athiest (and by the way we've never started a war in the name of atheism) and there is no way that taxpayers money should be used to build any place of worship. If the misguided feel a need to pray then it's up to them to build somewhere to do said deed. But why exactly they can't pray in the privacy of their own homes is beyond me.

er.... yes you have...... what were the Chinese and the Soviets doing then?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Surely if they are building this mosque there are the muslims already there to fill it so what difference will it make?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: £100m Super-Mosque!!

London Calling said:
So we cannot now plan or build anything without checking the religious beliefs of the applicant, I am sorry, but if have any experience of Mosque's and the Moslem community, you will see that this is yet another pathetic attempt to wind up the bigoted Daily Mail, middle Englander of the UK.

I am not being childish I just hate the constant attack on a religious minority in the UK. In the 1880's it was the Jews, in the 1960's it was the "Pakis", then it was the Blacks, then our next target was immigrants of all nationalities (as long as they were not white), then we went for Asylum seekers.

Now we have gone for Moslems - because you can collectively bunch all of the above - except Jews in one category. And they all become radicals, unchristian, rapists, social scroungers, muggers, perverts, taking over schools, women etc. They even eat f***ing hamsters.

It is a religiuos building to host religion. If you want to do radical briefings in East London, there area lot of houses, community buildings, fit for purpose and unmonitored by law abiding, hard working johnny be good Moslem.

LC
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

butchy said:
OK, the mosque is to be in the centre of a large Muslim population and on a Brownfield site- fine, it will help regenerate the area and I suppose create low and semi-skilled jobs through its construction. What are the other implications that need to be considered when building an 'arena' that is on the same scale as the Millennium Stadium. Traffic? congestion? pollution? infrastructure improvements? I am not aware that there is a shortage of mosques in London and so what is the need for this?

More importantly, the fact that it may be linked with radical clerics from Saudi Arabia is very worrying in my mind. Now I know that you are very sympathetic towards extremist muslims and you try to humanise them but, believe it or not, inciting racial hatred is in fact illegal in this country, and close tabs should be kept on those running these kind of establishments- now, and after (IF) the mosque is built.

But I suppose showing concern in this matter (my own safety as well as the safety of the geneal public) makes me a moron, bigot, little englander or what ever you are going to reply with ('Daily Mail reader', perhaps?).

C'mon you've read my earlier replies, I just don't condone rascism.

I live in a mainly Muslim area unlike most people in the UK and most people posting on here.

My neighbours, shops, cafe's are Muslims.

As I implied earlier the bombings and planned bombings would have hit the muslim and black population of London particularly hard.

These bombers therefore have no sympathy in our area. And I am not being ignorant here. the area certainly does contain people who have a record of violence ranging from conflict in Turkey, Portugal, various Kurd homelands, Somalia etc.

The Mosque/site certainly will have transport issues. Access to the site at the mo, is not easy and I doubt can handle mass vehicle access a couple of times a day. So you have a good point here, this issue will need to be addressed and not just by saying its next to a tube.

Though in my experience, most Muslims walk to the Mosque during the working day or pray at work!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here