Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 youth players sign pro

Dies Irae said:
I think carole would not want to play in the lower leagues ( divi 3 after all)

Why then did he tell people at the sponsors dinner that he's looking to buy a house in Brighton soon? Do you think he just fancies a holiday home here? ???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Why then did he tell people at the sponsors dinner that he's looking to buy a house in Brighton soon? Do you think he just fancies a holiday home here? ???

Yes because in the summer its a nice place to live and only a short trip on the ferry. Or as he is French can I say hop?

jonny.rainbow said:
Only on this messageboard, where just over a week ago we had threads heaping praise on the youth team that had dumped Academy set-ups out of the FA youth cup, can we have people pointing out the negatives in ten of the lads being handed pro-contracts. :nono:

Yep, it's absolutely pathetic. It just beggars belief how a bad spin can be put on this brilliant news, even the usually sour Kinky thinks it's good news.

blockhseagull said:
But i never said MM shoved him out on loan...maybe wasn't the correct word to use but he ain't here and i believe if McGhee wanted him long-term he would have turned down the loan move for him and said to Michel no i want you here you are a good keeper and i want you to push and get your place back.... make him feel like he was wanted.... just letting him go probably shows that he had no chance of winning back his place

McGhee played Kuipers consistently last season and then when he got a bad injury, immediately offered him a new contract. This is not the actions of a manager who does not rate Michel.

All that has happened in the meantime is that McGhee has found a better keeper in Hendo and he is rightly our number 1. Michel did not accept that decision and did not want to fight for the shirt as number 2. It's a situation where there is no way out other than a loan move.

It's a shame that Michel has chosen to end his Brighton career in this manner but that's football. If I was McGhee, I would not have fought tooth and nail to keep a player who cannot accept management decisions in a mature way, particularly with the young talent we have coming through.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
London Irish said:
McGhee played Kuipers consistently last season and then when he got a bad injury, immediately offered him a new contract. This is not the actions of a manager who does not rate Michel.

All that has happened in the meantime is that McGhee has found a better keeper in Hendo and he is rightly our number 1. Michel did not accept that decision and did not want to fight for the shirt as number 2. It's a situation where there is no way out other than a loan move.

It's a shame that Michel has chosen to end his Brighton career in this manner but that's football. If I was McGhee, I would not have fought tooth and nail to keep a player who cannot accept management decisions in a mature way, particularly with the young talent we have coming through.

True but it could be said we had no keeper pushing Michel for his place... Everytime he has had competition in McGhee's reign he for some reason seems to dip out, both Roberts and Henderson have been prefered to Michel.

Not saying that means MM doesn't rate Michel, because he recently said he did... And i feel Michel has let the fans down with his behaviour, although i can see why Michel is pissed off i cannot accept the way he dealt with it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
You really are negative aren't you. I think people should see this as exciting for the future rather than being negative.

Look Finchley, I'm just a season-ticket holder who forks out £450 a year and likes to see a bit of football from time to time.

Yes, if we had signed the best 5 or 6 and kicked out 4 or 5 senior players I haven't got a problem, in fact that's what I was hoping Knight would do.

But increasing our professional staff by 10 players will undoubtably mean other players leaving. You mention 9 players as if them leaving will make no difference at all - I actually think Kuipers, Dodd, Nicolas, McCammon and Mayo could all do a job in League 1 if fit, although I agree with kicking the others out.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

He is not going to turn around and say i want to leave is he?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where's the balance on this board?

Robinson, CKR, Gary Elphick, Lynch, Gatting etc have all struggled with coming to terms with the blood and thunder of professional football this season.

It takes time to adjust, and only after about a full season can those players actually match the opposition - and that's if they're good enough in the first place.

It took Hammond and Harding a good while and Virgo even longer. If you field a team with 8 or 9 kids you will struggle. You need to introduce them gradually, put experience alongside them.

If we go down the fans will half-expect promotion, like the last 2 times we've been in the division. That expectation is too much to put on the kids.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:

Robinson, CKR, Gary Elphick, Lynch, Gatting etc have all struggled with coming to terms with the blood and thunder of professional football this season.

It takes time to adjust, and only after about a full season can those players actually match the opposition - and that's if they're good enough in the first place.

It took Hammond and Harding a good while and Virgo even longer. If you field a team with 8 or 9 kids you will struggle. You need to introduce them gradually, put experience alongside them.

If we go down the fans will half-expect promotion, like the last 2 times we've been in the division. That expectation is too much to put on the kids.

Argee with that, too many people seem to think promotion is a gimma if go down.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Pavilionaire said:

Has anyone actually said that they expect all twelve members of that youth set up to start next season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pavilionaire said:

I appreciate that it will take time for these young players to become regulars. From what I have seen so far though Lynch could certainly be a regular next season in League One and there is no suggestion that they will all start. I still see us trying to sign a striker, one or two defenders and possibly a midfielder if we release the nine players I put forward. That would give us a fair squad for next season with the potential to improve in the future.

Until we get Falmer, and probably after we do as well, our youngsters will be very important to us. I just cannot see how you can call this a negative step.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Pavilionaire said:

We are not going to play the whole youth team are we, but there is no doubt that they are talented players...what we meant to do only sign four and let the others get picked up by other clubs and reap the rewards of our youth set-up

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Good news but like Y2dave sai, it looks as though it spells the end for alot of our other players and congrats to Virgo who's been called up to the Scotland U21s squad

:clap: :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Today's news is more a case of retaining the services of the kids rather than jettisoning them into the big wide world to become Borough Surveyors or damp testing engineers or goat herders.

The club feels many of them have something to offer in the future, and they don't want to let them go just yet.

This is vastly different from saying that these kids can or will make it to the first tema level or that most of the current first team players who are out of contract at the end of season will be turfed out of the club.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The Large One said:
Today's news is more a case of retaining the services of the kids rather than jettisoning them into the big wide world to become Borough Surveyors or damp testing engineers or goat herders.

The club feels many of them have something to offer in the future, and they don't want to let them go just yet.

This is vastly different from saying that these kids can or will make it to the first tema level or that most of the current first team players who are out of contract at the end of season will be turfed out of the club.

Exactly, only Gatting and Lynch have been offered 3 years, and Fraser and Chamberlain two..... the rest only have a year to prove they can make the next step

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Fraser and Elphick really could be right on the fringes of the first team next season.

Interesting to see we have retained both keepers. With Henderson here as well are we really going to keep Kuipers? :(

I expect one keeper will be loaned out for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here