Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m actually expecting a fairly busy summer as there’s a number of ‘outs’ that in my view are fairly likely, even if we don’t want them.

- Bissouma - he’s simply too good not to have offers from a CL side, surely.
- Trossard - has already said he’s ‘open to offers’. 27 so the next contract is the one he needs to set him up for life. Can’t see that being the sort of contract we’ll offer.
- Maupay - he’s good enough to be a starter in a bottom 6 PL side but only as a squad player in one with aspirations of top 10. So I think he may conclude his future resides elsewhere.
- Gross - I think he’s decided to go back to Germany.
- Duffy - Potter’s recent interview on him smacked of ‘thanks for everything Shane’ to me.
- Andone - still a drain on the accounts (wages and deprecating his fee). Suspect we’ll write this one off a year early and he’ll leave, as with Locadia.

Van Hecke, Mitoma and Undav to come in, plus Koslowski. I think Undav looks a like for like for Maupay, and I’d like to see us sign another striker with pace who can run in behind as Welbeck does. Nketiah would fit the bill but have a horrible feeling he’s Palace bound. Enciso may arrive but likely to be eased in over a season like our other South Americans. He’s not had a great season, but I still like Sarr from Watford as a possible Trossard replacement, but may also have his sights set higher.
Unless Watford take a hit they would want over £30m for Sarr can’t see that happening.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m actually expecting a fairly busy summer as there’s a number of ‘outs’ that in my view are fairly likely, even if we don’t want them.

- Bissouma - he’s simply too good not to have offers from a CL side, surely.
- Trossard - has already said he’s ‘open to offers’. 27 so the next contract is the one he needs to set him up for life. Can’t see that being the sort of contract we’ll offer.

Needs something to set hm up for life? FFS, what is he on? - £40K a week? - that's £2M a year for the last three years. Several times more than most people will earn in 30 or 40 years - what sort of set up should he 'need'?

Maupay - he’s good enough to be a starter in a bottom 6 PL side but only as a squad player in one with aspirations of top 10. So I think he may conclude his future resides elsewhere.
- Gross - I think he’s decided to go back to Germany.
- Duffy - Potter’s recent interview on him smacked of ‘thanks for everything Shane’ to me.
- Andone - still a drain on the accounts (wages and deprecating his fee). Suspect we’ll write this one off a year early and he’ll leave, as with Locadia.

Van Hecke, Mitoma and Undav to come in, plus Koslowski.
Van Hecke - maybe, and Undav certainly - but what makes you think Mitoma will waltz into the 1st, team squad? Done OK for USG, but no more. And Kozlowski is very young - albeit super talented (allegedly). Pretty much guaranteed a loan to get him acclimatised to British football - Championship or SPL I reckon.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Surely Bissouma off to a “big 6” club.

Trossard not so sure. Keep.

Keep Wellbeck.

Sell Duffy (sadly, as I think he’s utterly dedicated).

Maupay. Keep. Too good to let go.

Gross. New contract please. Number of assists speaks for itself. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mental.

New central midfielder although Gross can play there. Alzate and Moder too.

Promote one of our many promising CBs. They are all excellent.

New striker. Someone who can stay calm when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Surely Bissouma off to a “big 6” club.

Trossard not so sure. Keep.

Keep Wellbeck.

Sell Duffy (sadly, as I think he’s utterly dedicated).

Maupay. Keep. Too good to let go.

Gross. New contract please. Number of assists speaks for itself. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mental.

New central midfielder although Gross can play there. Alzate and Moder too.

Promote one of our many promising CBs. They are all excellent.

New striker. Someone who can stay calm when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree apart from Maupay who we should look to sell, also cant see Trossard signing a new contract so would sell him with only 1yr left on his contract

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Pretty much agree apart from Maupay who we should look to sell, also cant see Trossard signing a new contract so would sell him with only 1yr left on his contract
Interesting you write this.

Aparantly we have options on trossard and veltman until summer 2024 which is great news.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We're going to see costs climb this summer purely because of the wage hikes we'll need to dish out to retained and key players. It's not all about transfer fees. So could be less money about for purchases than some think.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’m actually expecting a fairly busy summer ...

Yes. It will be a very busy summer for loans alone - we did 20 or so last close season - and there’s a lot to do to fill a couple of first team gaps/ upgrades , perhaps make that one Ben White type flagship sale , more punts on youngsters , rebuild the u23s / u18s (backfill the loans) and some contract extensions and moving on a fair few. There will be ins and outs probably every week now until August …

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope Groß stays but I imagine the lure of Germany and Werder Bremen is significant for him.

Anyway, I don't expect it to drag out and expect we'll know before June.

The body language experts can analyse his waves at the end of season pitch walkabout on Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hope Groß stays but I imagine the lure of Germany and Werder Bremen is significant for him.

Anyway, I don't expect it to drag out and expect we'll know before June.

The body language experts can analyse his waves at the end of season pitch walkabout on Sunday.

Completely blanked the ‘we want you to stay’ chant yesterday as he walked off as far as I saw. Maybe just pissed off it’s taken 5 years for us to sing anything with his name in :shrug::moo:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Connolly gawwwwwwn.

Based on this fatuous article?

https://punditarena.com/football/andrew-dempsey/aaron-connolly-middlesbrough-exit/

"Chris Wilder hints at Aaron Connolly Middlesbrough exit" ..................... der .......... his loan has ended and he will return to Brighton. That's what happens with loans, bozo!
I know 'Connolly gone' is a wet dream of a headline for Connolly haters, but to continue the theme, it's premature! Quite possibly he will move on this summer, but AFAIK he hasn't yet. There may even be some good news .......................
https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz...baller-boyfriend-aaron-connolly-41573378.html

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I see he's out in Ibiza at the moment getting wasted. Top team player !

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I think about 90% of the Brighton squad will go get shitfaced on some sunny island once the season is over. I assume you will be all over them because they're not spending their holiday in a cooling bath eating cabbage and carrots?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Based on this fatuous article?

https://punditarena.com/football/andrew-dempsey/aaron-connolly-middlesbrough-exit/

"Chris Wilder hints at Aaron Connolly Middlesbrough exit" ..................... der .......... his loan has ended and he will return to Brighton. That's what happens with loans, bozo!
I know 'Connolly gone' is a wet dream of a headline for Connolly haters, but to continue the theme, it's premature! Quite possibly he will move on this summer, but AFAIK he hasn't yet. There may even be some good news .......................
https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz...baller-boyfriend-aaron-connolly-41573378.html

Based on we're a PL team with regular top ten ambitions and he's not up to that standard.

Whatever we spend on him could be money better spent elsewhere.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Connolly can go as fast as possible. Save his wages more than worry about a fee though be good to have a sell on as someone in L1 could make a decent Championship prospect out of him if he gets a shock. Some club would pay big for him if he does well in L1.

Gross a big loss but wish him well and we’ve really kicked on in central midfield. If we keep Lallana then Gross can go. But I’d rather flip that. No need for both. Caicedo, MacAllister and Moder with Mwepu as an option is the future. Can all do a bit of everything and interchange. AliMac the biggest re-signing need.

Bissouma and Trossard it’s all down to money. Rather keep both obviously but deals are too short. We could restock if get fees for them but be a disaster to loose both for free even after another great year. Imagine we have a bad year then loose both after! I’d rather take a step back and play our youngsters (resulting in future forward progress) than see both go for nothing while we stay still. No signings needed if could just get both extended this summer though sadly can’t see either.

Welbeck I’d give 2 years if we could get him slightly cheaper than another one year. We don’t seem able to find strikers and I worry Undav will be very average (different to bad). Mitoma and Sarmiento not strikers more Trossard cover/replacements. In two years Ferguson and Moran might be ready and even if Welbeck’s injured a lot during a 2nd year, would make a good mentor for them I reckon.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Like Caicedo, Cochrane, Ben White, Van Hecke, Sanchez , Sarmiento etc etc ?

Sorry mate it wasn't a critism. People expecting big signings are going to be disappointed. You are totally right about Sanchez, White and Caicedo
Please do not assume I am against what the club is trying to do. I am looking forward to other young players being given a chance. I said earlier in this thread I do not expect major incomings whoever leaves.

Maybe I worded my post wrong. What I actually meant is players in the pipeline at the moment.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here