Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yet another Amex food complaint

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It always goes back to the fact that Hardings were cast aside after looking the club at Withdean for over a decade, Messrs Perry and Brown had their heads turned by caterers who not only talked shite, at times they served it up as well.

It’s been a succession of chancers and charlatans, when I had seats in a box, I think we played Forest first game in the Championship on a Friday night, and the Lamb was that rare, and cold, it was still running round the field.

Needless to say we never paid for our meals that week.

Sodexo are actually the best of a bad bunch with the 3 or 4 companies we’ve had in 12 years, and in the main, they serve a meal that‘s edible, not as pricey as some other clubs and the waiting staff are very good at what they do.

It’s a shame we’re not in a position to actually have a BHA catering wing, all overseen by PB and his senior management team, and totally in house.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Really? l think they should be renamed Cholesterol City, not Stoke City . Am l alone in thinking that overall our food offerings are pretty good? At the end of the day it's all fast food, and cooked for the masses, so it's hardly likely to be haute cuisine. What we serve up certainly isn't slop.

Piglets pies are really excellent in my opinion . . . chips being more widely available would be no bad thing though.
I’ll agree with the piglets pies but the food from Sodexo is slop, burgers especially.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Really? l think they should be renamed Cholesterol City, not Stoke City . Am l alone in thinking that overall our food offerings are pretty good? At the end of the day it's all fast food, and cooked for the masses, so it's hardly likely to be haute cuisine. What we serve up certainly isn't slop.

Piglets pies are really excellent in my opinion . . . chips being more widely available would be no bad thing though.

The piglets sausage rolls are excellent as well. Really liked it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not true. You could buy tea, coffee and Bovril. Not that the liquids which arrived following your order resembled those drinks in any way, but you could at least buy them.

Also they were scalding hot.

I want to go to there! :)
Hmmm me thinks some of us wear rose tinted spectacles where everything Goldstone is concerned.

Catering wise it's a surprise more of us didn't suffer from salmonella poisoning, (or worse), l'm sure some people must have done.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a shame we’re not in a position to actually have a BHA catering wing, all overseen by PB and his senior management team, and totally in house.
It’s all down to scale mate. Could you run your business, or any business where you have to rely on 20/25 days of activity per annum plus the occasional party? 😉😉

The burgers are very hit and miss. I feel like asking to “try before I buy” to get a sense of their temperature. I now default to the pies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Alongside the whole shop/merchandising/kit situation, the food on the concourse (bar Piglet's) is the other thing that is BIZARRELY SHIT considering the overall quality of the club.

The burgers have been utterly woeful for many a year now. You think I'd learn. I just don't want to ALWAYS have a pie.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The piglets sausage rolls are excellent as well. Really liked it.
They are good but incredibly over-priced - even for a football ground. Same sausage rolls (and pies) were a couple of quid cheaper at Plumpton races last season (will check again on Monday).

When you can buy a box of 6 sausage rolls from piglets direct for £21 at retail prices it shows the huge mark up that Sodexo must have. I understand that you have to turn a profit but this is just a rip-off and why I won't buy them. Maybe they have to do this to cover writing off the cost of the vegan kitkats that must be going out of date soon.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Does anyone know how many Vegan Kitkats we are from the return of normal chocolate bars?
My problem isn't that they're vegan, it's that they're dark chocolate. I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between a vegan dark chocolate KitKat and an regular dark chocolate KitKat.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
They are good but incredibly over-priced - even for a football ground. Same sausage rolls (and pies) were a couple of quid cheaper at Plumpton races last season (will check again on Monday).

When you can buy a box of 6 sausage rolls from piglets direct for £21 at retail prices it shows the huge mark up that Sodexo must have. I understand that you have to turn a profit but this is just a rip-off and why I won't buy them. Maybe they have to do this to cover writing off the cost of the vegan kitkats that must be going out of date soon.
I assume VAT is added at the Amex as it's now a 'service' (service = plonking foodthing in a small puddle of lager)

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I assume VAT is added at the Amex as it's now a 'service' (service = plonking foodthing in a small puddle of lager) :ROFLMAO:
Plumpton would also add VAT as they are served hot from the cafe and probably wouldn't get as much discount as Sodexho if you look at the volumes each place buys.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've taken to diving into the M&S at Brighton station for a couple of sarnies to take along with me. Infinitely preferable to the russian-roulette CACK that sometimes or sometimes does not get served, sometimes or sometimes not at a decent temperature.

And STILL no salt anywhere to be found.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've taken to diving into the M&S at Brighton station for a couple of sarnies to take along with me. Infinitely preferable to the russian-roulette CACK that sometimes or sometimes does not get served, sometimes or sometimes not at a decent temperature.

And STILL no salt anywhere to be found.
I detour to Uncle Sam’s if I have a burger craving. Infinitely better than the shite on the concourse

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I detour to Uncle Sam’s if I have a burger craving. Infinitely better than the shite on the concourse
Oh good gosh yes. Comparing an Uncle Sams to an Amex burger is like comparing Myleene Klass to Ann Widdecombe.
Sadly I don't really have an Uncle Sams option along the way. Nearest would probably be Montpelier Street, but I'm not yomping all the way down there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What happened to those Harvey’s burgers we used to have? They were good

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I assume VAT is added at the Amex as it's now a 'service' (service = plonking foodthing in a small puddle of lager)
Food served to eat in is subject to standard rate VAT (20%). It'd be hard to argue that this doesn't apply to the kiosk food.

Incidentally, food served to eat out or delivered is subject to standard rate VAT if it is prepared hot, or warmed, for purchase, otherwise most foods are zero rated*. Most delivered takeaways are caught by this as the freshly-cooked food is (usually) immediately sent to the customer. Greggs successfully argued for zero rating for their takeaway sausage rolls etc. as their cabinets are not actively warmed, so receiving a warm one is merely incidental to their recent cooking, rather than being specifically served warm.

* KItKats, vegan or otherwise, are always subject to standard rate VAT as they are chocolate biscuits (unlike Jaffa Cakes, which for VAT purposes are chocolate covered cakes and thus zero rated).

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Yeah I do agree they are overpriced but all event food kiosks basically are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here