Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here is in a trade union?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
just joined a union for the very reason given by woodchip...

its accord i think - formerly unifi? either way, it is the union of choice where i am.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When I started at Yorkshire Electricity it was a closed shop. I eventually ended up in Unison. I stayed in when it was optional which suited me very well. I started as a part timer in 1977 and wasn't able to join the pension scheme. Later in the 80's they changed policy and allowed partimers in.
In 1995 several people went on a test case for sexual discrimination because it was all women who had been refused pension rights. I had missed out on 10 years pension contributions. It took 8 years but I eventually got 5 years given to me. I got a lump sum 18 months ago and contributed my share. I still ended up £3K better off and my pension (which is paid out now due to redundancy over 50) went up by £25 a month. The union fought hard for that and I am grateful.
My Mum was injured at the Brighton Gen whilst working as a nursing auxilliary and the union got her compensation (and proved the accident book had been altered)
It is a protection.

Ned is in AEEU. We had our wills done free of charge through them.

I'm in ACSA - The Audit Commission Staff Something or other! :blush: It was that or Unison and ACSA were cheaper. I want someone to fight real injustices rather than holding people to ransom for financial gain as so many do. Including my OU tutor's union. :angry: You aren't on the breadline and are jeopardising the efforts of a large number of students. It's always the ones who can blackmail people who strike - no-one would care if I didn't work tomorrow. Striking should be a very, very LAST resort IMHO. Not a blackmailing tool to get a few extra quid.

Not a mo. Since I am mainly self-employed or manage my own business.

But have been a NUPE member and steward and NALGO.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Woodchip said:
Nope. Amicus keep bothering me though. Won't join until I sense something is going to go pear shaped.

Playing with fire companies get into trouble very quickly these days.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I'm in PCS. I work for the army in a small TA centre and all of the line managers are in the Army. As most employment leglislation does not apply to the Army, I find it beneficial to be in a union as a lot of Officers don't bother finding out what's what before laying down the rules. We have a Major who didn't like the 'girlies' wearing jeans, so we were banned from wearing them, but the men were not. He wouldn't have it that what he had done was wrong, until the union got involved.

When I worked for HSBC they wanted to sack me for being ill. I was extremely grateful to my union for backing me, at a time when I was unable to stand up for myself.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Was in FBU (Fire Brigades Union).
Wouldn't / couldn't support the strike action so left the union.
Still a firefighter though.

:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Was in the GMB for a while, but the one time I needed their assitance the person I had to contact had been off "long term sick" for some months and no-one was taking up her union duties. I left shortly afterwards.

The industry I now work in has no union, but even if there was I wouldn't join. The idea of unions was to protect workers interests - most now just seem interested in making noise for the sake of it and furthering certain individuals within their ranks desires to become celebrities.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Nope never have and never will - been at the wrong end of Unions whilst trying to run a small family factory and then again at Toyota and I will never, ever join...

Dandyman

In London village.
tedebear said:
Nope never have and never will - been at the wrong end of Unions whilst trying to run a small family factory and then again at Toyota and I will never, ever join...

Out of interest, if you ever work in an unionised work place and the union negotiate you a pay rise or an improvement in your terms and conditions do you give back the money or reject the improvement ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Was in MANDATE in a closed-shop and in MANDATE in a non-closed shop. Theres a reason why I joined it though, as I don't really like the Irish unions

MANDATE in a closed shop are patsies for the managment and do absolutely nothing. Complete and utter theft of the union fees, as they do nothing but back the managers, etc.

MANDATE in a non closed shop actually do something. Pay and break times were above what equivalent employers in the same sector in the same town were offering, they had extremely good sick pay systems in place, and so on.

Where I work now I can join any union I want to but, meh, theres absolutely no point.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Dandyman said:
Out of interest, if you ever work in an unionised work place and the union negotiate you a pay rise or an improvement in your terms and conditions do you give back the money or reject the improvement ?

Or, could you negotiate a better rise/conditions for yourself without having to support a load of idle loafers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here