Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Undav

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Brighton should have taken a punt for Ronaldo. Ok 37 but not getting much playing time at Man U. Could still do a job at a mid-table club like us.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
It was good to see Mitoma come on for the last part of the game and inject some much needed pace and stretch Spurs tiring defenders. However what was the point in introducing Lallana? He is golod at what he does as a defensive midfielder, but we were trying to unlock the oppostion defence, it wasn't his sort of game at all.

We also made two fujrther substitutions in the 86th minute, why? there is precious little that anyone can do to change anything in 4 minutes!

I understand the lallana one, actually. our passing in buildup was nowhere near good enough last night, didn't move the ball nearly quickly or accurately enough. think lallana is one of our best passers, so bringing him on to induce a bit of calm in the buildup made sense.

completely agree re the timing of the changes however. obviously RDZ knows better but I found it quite bizarre.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s quite clear right now that although DW is not scoring the goals, he definitely helps our style of play, and brings others into the attack. In games without him last season we were utterly toothless and predictable. Playing Undav either means dropping Welbeck, and an overall change of style, or him playing instead of Tross or Gross who both have been decent. So not surprised Undav hasn't started games. I am however surprised he has not seen more minutes coming off the bench. I would have preferred him on for the last 5/10 last night instead of Gilmour.
I think he has to start vs either Brentford or Forest. The ‘system’ will have to be quite different as you suggest as Undav is really not a DW type of player. I suspect the tactical change necessary for him to thrive on Saturday was too much for De Zerbi to implement with substitutions.

But I can see a fluid 4-3-3 starting formation being selected soon that would see a front 3 of Mitoma, Undav and another, perhaps someone like Sarmiento or Enciso whilst Welbeck & Trossard get a break from the starting line-up.

Something like this:

———————Sanchez———————-
Lamptey—-Webster—Dunk—-Estupiñán
——Gilmour—Caicedo—Mac Allister——
—-Sarmiento—-Undav—Mitoma———-

I was thinking that we’d need to wait for the cup to see a formation like this but with our lack of a goal threat against Spurs, it might be time for RDZ to unleash his preferred back 4 sooner rather than later.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think he has to start vs either Brentford or Forest. The ‘system’ will have to be quite different as you suggest as Undav is really not a DW type of player. I suspect the tactical change necessary for him to thrive on Saturday was too much for De Zerbi to implement with substitutions.

But I can see a fluid 4-3-3 starting formation being selected soon that would see a front 3 of Mitoma, Undav and another, perhaps someone like Sarmiento or Enciso whilst Welbeck & Trossard get a break from the starting line-up.

Something like this:

———————Sanchez———————-

I was thinking that we’d need to wait for the cup to see a formation like this but with our lack of a goal threat against Spurs, it might be time for RDZ to unleash his preferred back 4 sooner rather than later.
I'd be shocked to see that formation any time soon.

Firstly, Veltman is for me an automatic starter in any game, a much better defender than Lamptey.

Also I can't see Trossard getting dropped for any PL games.

However, I could see us going to a back 4 to bring in Mitoma (might mean Gross dropping out of the starting 11 to accommodate.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'd be shocked to see that formation any time soon.

Firstly, Veltman is for me an automatic starter in any game, a much better defender than Lamptey.

Also I can't see Trossard getting dropped for any PL games.

However, I could see us going to a back 4 to bring in Mitoma (might mean Gross dropping out of the starting 11 to accommodate.
This formation was about resting key players such as Welbeck, Veltman, Groß, March and Trossard rather than dropping anyone due to 3 games in 8 days. We might end up resting Mac, Caicedo and Webster? I do think that have we’ll have to rotate the squad over this busy period.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Something like this:

———————Sanchez———————-

Although I do think De Zerbi may well revert to his preferred 4 at the back, I suspect that it won't be until post-World Cup. Other than Gilmour, I don't see Lamptey, Sarmiento, Undav or Mitoma breaking into the line up before Christmas. Still, what do I know?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
This formation was about resting key players such as Welbeck, Veltman, Groß, March and Trossard rather than dropping anyone due to 3 games in 8 days. We might end up resting Mac, Caicedo and Webster? I do think that have we’ll have to rotate the squad over this busy period.
I disagree, we have two winnable games in 4 days, and need to put our best team(s) out for those games. No one should be tired this early in the season.

If I remember, Potter made some changes for the last midweek game (Fulham) and that didn't work out too well

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It seems harsh to make such an early call. But people do need to remember we are now playing at the highest level we ever have. A player like Biss, as inconsistent as he was early on, clearly had huge ability and hunger potential from the moment you saw him in the stripe. Same for Mac, same for Tross. Undav reminds me so much of Connolly in that he might be a decent player but he just doesn't look like a player who will contribute much at this level. Certainly no more than Maupay. It's harsh but we all watch football at this level, we know what's required. Of course he deserves a chance, and time, but it's a huge leap. Don't forget we now have an ex England striker and were recently very close to signing Nunez. This club is moving at such a pace that these punts are going to be less and less likely to come off. I hope he settles in and suceeds, lordy we need more attacking options, but the odds are stacked against him. Ferguson, despite being SEVENTEEN, looks a much more likely contributor this season and that's telling.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm not overly surprised by his lack of involvement. The club feel they've got a top quality finisher on their hands but the PL is a tough league and we do try and have a policy of easing players in to the league to avoid the players crashing and burning.

I'd like to see more of him, and I'm sure we will, but I'm not concerned yet.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think Brighton should have taken a punt for Ronaldo. Ok 37 but not getting much playing time at Man U. Could still do a job at a mid-table club like us.
Wages would still be nuts and that wouldn't go down well with other players

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Agree that he'll rest players but can't see him starting a front 3 who have not started a PL game.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Heard Mbappé wants out at PSG. Worth a punt.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was good to see Mitoma come on for the last part of the game and inject some much needed pace and stretch Spurs tiring defenders. However what was the point in introducing Lallana? He is golod at what he does as a defensive midfielder, but we were trying to unlock the oppostion defence, it wasn't his sort of game at all.

We also made two fujrther substitutions in the 86th minute, why? there is precious little that anyone can do to change anything in 4 minutes!
RDZ's whole plan is based around quick, accurate passing, under pressure. If you don't see how Lallana fits into that, there's no help for you.

I expect to see a LOT more of Lallana (if he stays fit) in the coming weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here